Interesting times in western football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting times in western football

I am sure Violet Kickers players and fans would love to be in the NPL, but the the fact is that they are playing in the St James Hart Senior League, three rungs below the NPL right now...come on writer get your act together

Interesting times in western football <DIV class=KonaBody xtUVI="true">

<B FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">While Frome Technical's 3-2 penalty shoot-out loss to Glenmuir in the 2006 daCosta Cup final is perhaps the single most significant negative that has impacted western <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">Jamaica</SPAN> football in recent months, the dismal form of Wray &amp; Nephew NPL clubs Village United, Wadadah FC and Seba <SPAN class=kLink style="FONT-WEIGHT: 700; COLOR: blue! important; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; POSITION: relative">United</SPAN> also remains a worrying concern.[/B] <P FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">However, while the on the field affairs remain of paramount concern to the region, the off the field happenings such as Seba United's sacking of their high-profile coach Geoffrey Maxwell and the results from the recently held Annual General Meetings (AGM) of both the St. James and Westmoreland FAs have also emerged as major attention grabbing events. <P FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">Nothing to be ashamed of <P FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">Insofar as Frome Technical's defeat in the daCosta Cup is concerned, I really don't believe the school has anything to be ashamed of. In fact, I think the final result would have been much different had the team put away the numerous chances they created in the first half of the game. In addition, with a little better preparation, they could also have prevailed in the penalty shoot-out. <P FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">However, having earlier won the Ben Francis Knockout title, I believe the team, coach and general school could still take pride in the fact that unlike the 63 rural teams that ended the season without anything to show for their effort, they still ended up with a much-coveted bit of silverware, which is perhaps enough to share the honour of rural Jamaica's best with Glenmuir.

<B FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">Maxwell's sacking[/B] <P FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">In regards to the firing of Maxwell from Seba United, which was reportedly done on the advice of the players, I can't say that I am surprised since in all fairness, the team has been having a wretched NPL season. <P FzXKF="0" Cj_Ym="0">In addition, it has been in the <A class=kLink oncontextmenu="return false;" id=KonaLink2 &#111;nmouseov
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Interesting times in western football

Interesting article.

sickko: btw - Just yesterday I was speaking with former Violet Kickers supporter and past student of Cornwall College, Victor "Squire"Green whonow lives in the Atlanta suburban area,Georgia...and he was distressed at the fall Violet Kickers had. He is optimistic on chances of a revitalized Kickers returning to the top St. James League and ultimately the NPL.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think Maxwell's reign as a coach in the NPL may be just over. It is said that he is a good coach, but you see him getting fired al the time because players do not like him. If management believes in a coach and knows his worth, then it is the players' responsibility to work with whomever is put in charge of their team. I think that when it comes down to it, Maxwell is getting an unfair shake because of his reputation and the fact that he has been fired from so many other positions in the past.

Imagine some of these same Jamaican players were to go into a professional outfit where they do not like the coach? Are you going to tell me that they would not play for him? Sickko, you go to work and you do not really like your boss. Are you not going to work with him or do you go about trying to get him replaced?

So which teams have Maxwell not done a stint with as yet? It is full time management in football in Jamaica stop letting players decide who is their coach. They could not do it anywhere else, but I guess that is where the lacking of professional exposure comes in.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Well Baddaz think he gets an unfair shake at times but Maxwell doe g o over the line in criticising his players all the time...he was heard using expletives to some Under 17 players in the youth summer league and in my booms that is a big no-no.

In one pre-season game this year, the senior team almost mutinied at half time and had to be coaxed back on the field after Maxwell lost his temper- IN A PRE-SEASON GAME???

Maxwell might still have the technical know how but it comes down to more that that, if he cant get the players' respect then he cant teach them anything.

What I am hearing is that the players are jumping thru hoops for Tappa at training...I am certain he is not petting anybody either but it is how you get the point across and not put the players down that might be the trick here.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

I know Squire Pwell, ask him about Genie-man, that was my brother's club nick name, the one who died in 2004.

There were three brothers of us at Kickers, there was another brother who lives in Phily now, they used to call him Genie Youth and I was the youngest soI was Genie boy.

As for the Kickers demise, there was just no way around it, the amount of money that it would take to keep the club at any decent level was just out of our reach at the time.

For whatever reason we were seen as a 'uptown team' and while we were able to attract some corporate sponsorship, this unfair stigma really messed us up as we never had the large following of say a Seba or Wadadah.

Funny enough there are fans now who have never cheered for another club team since Kickers broke up and since they came back at the Division Two level and worked their way to the Hart Senior League with back to back promotion- these same fans have come out of the wood work again.

There are some die hard Kickers people like Warren Barrett, Laron'Crazy Glue' Burchell and Vinton Williams who have restarted the team and working hard with them.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Working...
          X