X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speed To Burn

SPEED TO BURN
    One of Backe's tasks: make the best use of Richards' pace

Dane Richards followed orders and ran into space instead of running at defenders in Wednesday's 6-0 romp over the U.S. Under-17 National Team.
    Linda Cuttone/Sports Vue Images
    BRADENTON, Fla. -- Perhaps no player has been a bigger enigma for the Red Bulls the past three seasons than midfielder Dane Richards.

He has all this speed to burn, but hasn't played close to his potential.

Taken by the Red Bulls in the 2007 MLS SuperDraft, two coaches have tried to utilize the Jamaican international to the max. Sometimes Richards looks unstoppable on the right flank. Other times he has become an invisible man.

It will be the task of new coach Hans Backe to find a way to make Richards much more effective as the latter enters his fourth MLS season.

"Everyone knows about his pace," Backe said after the Red Bulls rolled to a 6-0 scrimmage win over the U.S. Under-17 National Team at IMG Academy Wednesday afternoon. "So it has to be clear in the way how to use his pace in the best way.

"Today in the first half, they [the U-17's] play very high in the back, so we fed him the ball all the time.

"He is one of the fastest players I have ever seen."

Richards, back from Jamaica’s 2-1 international loss in Argentina last week, followed Backe's advice and played an excellent game at right midfield, stretching the U-17 defense.

With the game barely two minutes old, he set up the first goal. Defender Jeremy Hall played a long ball to an onrushing Richards, who sent a cross that was knocked into the net by U.S. defender Holden Fender.

With the Red Bulls enjoying a 2-0 lead, Richards' speed killed the American defense again. This time he found midfielder Joel Lindpere in the penalty area. Lindpere was kicked but, but flicked the ball to Juan Pablo Angel, who scored the first of his two goals in the 28th minute. John Agudelo also had two goals.

"They said today to make my runs -- not at the defender, but into space," Richards told Red Bull Reader.

It worked.

Richards' goal this pre-season is to "make sue of my pace and just being smart. That's what I'm trying to do. . . . I'm doing well so far."

He added that he wants to "just improving my game."

Backe tempered the win, reminding Red Bull Reader that the team played against a U-17 side.

Asked what he was most concerned about, Backe replied, "Overall, mostly the attitude to the game because you're playing against the Under-17 team. You're supposed to win. You never know about the attitude. It was an excellent attitude for 90 minutes."

The Red Bulls raced to a 4-0 halftime advantage.

Richards was happy with the result, but realized the team still had a ways to go. As of today, Thursday, the Red Bulls 36 days to their season-opener against the Chicago Fire at Red Bull Arena in Harrison, N.J. March 27.

"It was almost perfect today," he said. "I guess we did well. We just have to keep working. It's early still. Hopefully by the first game, we well master it and be perfect."
    No need to thank me forumites.

Just spoke about his potential to someone earlier. Wondered why he has never appeared to be playing sensib.... errr...TEAM?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Dane nuh play team? I doubt there are many wingers who play team like Richards. He comes back and help out defense. Play one-two when possible and cross the ball. What make up team Karl?

I will ask you like I asked mi brethren Don1, redefine TEAM for me.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well Ja needs a fast but technical wing back. Is he technical with the ball?

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
          No he isn't. He can fill that role against Concacaf level teams.

Comment

On my team Dane a come off the bench fi run don some tired players.
            Dane is great at running down the wing and beating people. He is poor at headers and is only ok playing inside. He will go back to defend but is not a defender.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

how tall is Dane, maybe 5' 6" tops he is not going to outjump many people
              Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
              Che Guevara.

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                No he is not Jawge. If Jamaica plays a 4-4-2 Dane will do fine as outside midfielders in that formation you're looking for more "industry" and simple straigh forward play than anything else. If Jamaica decides to play some of the more elegant formations such as a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-1-2 he would be a liability. When you consider who the model for a Dane Richards would be a guy like Shaun Wright-Phillips would come to mind. - T.K.
                No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  Dane nuh play team? I doubt there are many wingers who play team like Richards. He comes back and help out defense. Play one-two when possible and cross the ball. What make up team Karl?

I will ask you like I asked mi brethren Don1, redefine TEAM for me.
                  He does all that you say as far as his brain allows him. Very, very often he gets the ball and runs...and runs...and runs...TOTALLY IGNORING THAT HE HAS TEAMMATES...i.e. IGNORING HE IS ON A TEAM...IGNORING THAT FACT that the easiest way to beat an opponent is 'come wid yuh fren'...i.e. pass and move/pass and run by...and loses the ball! ...gives the damn ball away because of his stupidity! ...that often...OFTEN GIVING THE BALL AWAY helps the opponent! That is anti-TEAM!

Sass face facts if you perform as if you have no 'brains'...play like a fool, you are not playing TEAM!

Richards too often plays in a stupid manner! ...not same style but just as STUPID as Luton Shelton! STUPID! STUPID! STUPID!
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Well don't even bother to waste time. I would even go with technical over speed because in the modern game effective counter attacks stems from how technically sound a dfender is. Look at what T.Silva did for Milan in the Manu game. a wing back in the young Cafu (saw tele used Cafu to play forward for sao Paulo, think I have the game)mold, Jorghinio (who is now asst.coach of Brasil) or Miguel (Portugal 06).

Ja boots the ball high too many times and aginst teams such as ARG. we are only giving them more possesion of the ball and time to set up goal scoring opportunities. If we are technical at the back and can move out the ball swiftly; tactically teams will be forced to adjust by committing less players around our 18. Ah God helps the team that commits alot of players around Brasil's 18; unless you are a hundred percent sure they are not going to win the ball.

Comment

I was watching the Manu Everton game and Saw Dane Richard(the French Winger)

speed to burn, outrun anyone down the wing

Comment

Dane can be helpful to inject some life into an attack. For me is is a super Sub.

Comment

Committing entire TEAM against Brazil?

The current Spain squad can do that!

...and in the past *Cruyff's Dutch team. They had the speed, technically skilled 11 and great tactical TEAM efforts.

JOHAN CRUYFF - International Football Hall of Fame

If Holland were the team that gave the world Total Football, then Johan Cruyff was THE Total Footballer.

Comment

Was a good game. ...both sides played TEAM...but Everton was the better TEAM!

Comment

many 5'-6" players regularly outjump taller players.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                              X