RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not a word from Tappa?..Xcept the usual BS!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not a word from Tappa?..Xcept the usual BS!

JFF needs roughly $1b to get to Brazil
    Published: Saturday | January 30, 2010

Ricardo Makyn/Staff Photographer
    Jamaica Football Federation president, Captain Horace Burrell (second right), shakes hands with new Reggae Boyz, striker Ryan Johnson (second left), while captain Tyrone Marshall (left) and coach Theodore Whitmore look on.
    Leighton Levy, Gleaner Writer

It is being estimated that the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) will need close to a billion dollars to sustain the national football programme over the next four years while the country aims to qualify for the 2014 World Cup in Brazil.

This was revealed by JFF chief accountant, Frederick Sutherland, on Thursday as the JFF announced the launch of that campaign, which basically will begin with the match against the Canadian national team at the National Stadium tomorrow.

"I think we are looking at a budget figure of roughly seven to eight hundred million dollars," Sutherland said, explaining that they are currently crunching the actual numbers to come up with a more precise figure.

JFF President, Captain Horace Burrell, in acknowledging that a lot of money will be required to sustain a successful campaign, said there were several ways in which the JFF will approach raising the funds.

One international each month

"First of all it is our intention to have at least one international each month and we intend to garner some amount of funding from that. In addition, I will be speaking with the honourable Prime Minister because as I understand it, the government is very, very interested in seeing sports move to a higher level."

Burrell explained that the JFF currently receives a subvention from the Sports Development Foundation (SDF), but that is not nearly enough to fill the huge hole in the budget required.

Last year, the JFF received a total of $31 million from the SDF.

"The amount that football receives, in comparison to the magnitude of the responsibilities, is very small. I do think that the SDF and the Government are willing to review this with a view to giving us an increase in subvention," he said.

According to the SDF, the value of the subvention varies from year to year.

Meantime, Captain Burrell is hoping for a good turnout at the National Stadium tomorrow, even with bleacher tickets going for $1,000 dollars, and grand stand tickets fetching between $2,500 and $3,000.

Sources say that the JFF is hoping to raise about $12 million from tomorrow's match, from gate receipts and sky boxes, most of which have already been rented. Cuddyz Sports Bar will be catering to the users of those skyboxes, the JFF president said.

The JFF also have for sale replica shirts that range in price between $2,700 for t-shirts and about $4,500 for polo shirts.

Gates open at 3 p.m. at the National Stadium and there will be changes made to the flow of traffic to accommodate spectators. Arthur Wint Drive and Roosevelt Avenue, will, from 4 p.m., be converted to one-way streets leading towards the National Stadium. At the end of the match those same roadways will be one-way leading away from the stadium.

More SportE-mail this story Print this PageE-mail the Editor
    Digicel committed to Reggae Boyz

File
    Paula Pinnock-McLeod, Digicel's sports sponsorship manager.
    Telecommunications giant Digicel has proven itself to be a worthwhile ally for the development of football in Jamaica, pumping a great deal of money towards the overall growth of the sport in Jamaica.

The Irish company has adopted a holistic approach towards its local and regional football sponsorship, stretching its financial tentacles in other areas such as the regional championships, the local schoolboy competitions, football clinics and the local referee's association.

Paula Pinnock-McLeod, Digicel sports sponsorship manager spoke excitedly about her company's deep-rooted involvement with the sport in Jamaica and underlined its unifying properties.

"Hands down, football is one of the most unifying sports around the world and I think for a company like Digicel coming into Jamaica, it was important that we established some foundation with the people of the country and I think football allowed us to do that," said Pinnock-McLeod. "It also provides so many opportunities for so many persons, it's really good that we have been able to give so much back to it (football) and support it."

Pushing for 2014 WC spot

Pinnock-McLeod made special reference to the company's backing of the Reggae Boyz, pointing out that they are committed to the team's push for a spot in the 2014 FIFA World Cup in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

She, like most Jamaicans, is happy that the Boyz will once again man 'the office' as they welcome Canada to the National Stadium for tomorrow's 6:00 p.m. friendly international.

"We (Digicel) are very supportive of the Jamaica Football Federation and their commitment to developing football in Jamaica. We are happy that they are bringing Canada to Jamaica and we will get to see the team play at home," said Pinnock-McLeod.

Pinnock-McLeod went on to assure that her company was with the team for the long haul and that she was hoping that the much-fabled 'luck of the Irish' would finally rub off on the Boyz.

"We are a committed company. The minute that it was realised that the team wouldn't qualify for the World Cup and a lot of sponsors were jumping off board, we were one of the first to state our continued commitment," Pinnock-McLeod stated.

"So we are very committed and we are determined to assist the Jamaica Football Federation in whatever way we can towards taking the team to the World Cup. Our dedication is clear and we believe that it starts at the grassroots, which is the schoolboy level, the Digicel Premier League and of course exposing the teams to regional competition, which is the Digicel Caribbean Championships."

- Andre Lowe
    All set for Cup 2014 blast-off - Daley ready to strike down Canadians

Daley
    Andre Lowe, Senior Staff Reporter

For young Tivoli Gardens striker Keammar Daley, tomorrow's friendly inter-national against Canada inside the National Stadium is the perfect stage for him to truly announce his presence in the senior team.

The 21 year-old former Meadhaven United player will be among the numbers when the Reggae Boyz tackle their North American rivals at 6 p.m., and like his throng of supporters he is hoping that he will get a chance to show his worth at 'the Office'.

Known for his impressive dribbling qualities and accuracy from dead-ball situations, Daley has matured from a leading schoolboy prospect after guiding Jamaica College to the Manning Cup crown in 2006, to one of the most talked-about players in local top flight football.

He, however, does not want to stop there, and has eyed a role in Jamaica's 2014 FIFA World Cup push. For him, the journey really starts with Canada, as after being called to the national squad on several occasions, the wily Daley believes that the time is ripe for him to prove his true talents.

Said Daley, "My hard work is paying off and to achieve in life you have to work hard and when the right time comes, if the Almighty says its your time nobody can stop that," said a rather philosophical sounding Daley. "So I guess it's just my time to shine. It's a great feeling (to be in the squad) I have worked hard for this opportunity and I just want to take it with both hands. Hopefully in the sight of the Almighty, all things will go well."

Daley was among the key players for Jamaica's 2007 Pan American Games team, scoring four goals towards the team's historic silver medal finish in Rio de Janeiro.

He also has a senior team goal to his credit after scoring the winner in a 3-2 triumph over Panama last year.

Hard work

The youngster credits his hard work for his steady climb up the ranks and highlights his heightened sense of confidence as a major factor for his success.

Said Daley, "I have been selected to the national training camp and I have always wanted a spot. Each time I work harder and harder and it's paying off, hopefully come Sunday, I don't know what the coach has in mind, but I hope to give my best if given a chance."

He is however cognisant of the difficulties he must overcome and is wary of the fact that he must prove himself to be a worthy alternative to some of the more established players in the team.

"It's very difficult because everyone is competing for a spot, but I know my potential and throughout the past months or years that I have been around, the coach has also seen that potential. He mentioned to me last year that I am one of the types of players that he is looking for and with the motivation and the confidence level that the players and coaching staff give me, I know I can carry out this job," Daley added.

More SportE-mail this story Print this PageE-mail the Editor

World Cup campaign goes on, says Burrell

Burrell
    Ryon Jones, Gleaner Writer

President of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, says despite Jamaica's failure to qualify for the 2010 World Cup Finals in South Africa, the campaign goes on.

"The World Cup programme is not derailed, on January 31 we will commence preparations for the World Cup 2014, which is four years in advance. In fact this will give us our best opportunity to qualify because we will be well prepared," Burrell said.

The JFF is putting several things in place to provide a solid platform on which Jamaica's football programme can grow.

Burrell said: "We have embarked on a comprehensive training programme. First of all we have established a training school at the University of Technology for the purpose of guiding our coaches so that a common Jamaican philosophy can be developed. Second, we have also embarked on another comprehensive training programme for our referees and final, a third programme for the administrators at all parish levels."

Tomorrow's friendly is just the first game of a campaign by the Burrell administration to have the Reggae Boyz play at least one international friendly per month but according to the JFF boss they are experiencing great challenges where hosting home games are concerned.

"There are a number of factors affecting football in Jamaica right now as they relate to playing at the National Stadium. The game we are having on the 31st ( January), in order to break even a minimum of $12 million needs to be realised. The venue rental has gone up, the cost of security has gone up, the cost for police has gone up and airfare for the players.

"In the past, we had a sponsorship deal with Air Jamaica and before that we had one with American Airlines, which enabled us during those periods to pay small subsidies. Today, we have to pay the full cost of the tickets, which run into millions of dollars. And so for those reasons the challenge is even greater," Burrell said

Performance

Turning to the coaching side of the campaign, Burrell said the national football coach has to "perform well at all times" to remain in the job.

"A coach's tenure depends on performance. If the coaching staff performs well, of course they will have their jobs," said Burrell. "If they fail to perform ... we must make changes, and so the challenge is up to them to perform well at all times," he added. Burrell, however, added that the JFF would fully support whoever is in charge.

Dream come true for young goalkeeper

Blake

Robert Bailey, Gleaner Writer

When the Reggae Boyz take the field against Canada in their friendly international match at the National Stadium tomorrow, one of the most promising young players, André Blake, will be hoping to make his senior team debut.

Blake, a former national Under-20 goalkeeper, is the only schoolboy named in the 18-man squad selected by head coach Theodore 'Tappa' Whitmore.

The 19 year-old 6'1'' custodian guided Glenmuir High to the quarter-finals of last season's daCosta Cup. He was also a member of Jamaica's Under-20 team which captured the bronze medal at the Pan American Games in Brazil in 2007. Blake expressed delight with his inclusion in the national senior team.

"It is a great feeling to be called up for the national senior team, and to be selected in the final 18 for this game, is a dream come true," said the soft-spoken Blake, who represents Sporting Central Academy in the Digicel Premier League.

"I think I have worked very hard in the daCosta Cup competition and I also put in a lot of training with my club and I believe that now it has paid off for me," he said.

Blake added that he has been well received by the senior players in the squad and he has been learning a lot from them.

all is not lost

"The vibes in the camp is very great," he said. "The team spirit is very good and the senior players are there to guide you because they don't treat you any less, they treat you like you are on the same level that they are on," Blake said.

Meanwhile, Whitmore said all is not lost for the youngsters despite the exclusion of a number of the schoolboy players from the final squad.

"It's just unfortunate because you have young Morgan (Marvin), you have Ricardo Morris, Dushan Brown, that could have been selected, but it is a rebuilding process," Whitmore said.

"You have young Kenardo Forbes and Juvaughn Watson and they haven't got a chance as yet, but as time goes by you will see us injecting one or two of them into the squad because we don't want to throw them into the deep sea and leave them to swim," he said.

Whitmore added: "I don't think that we will have most of our overseas players for the Argentina game because this is not a FIFA date and this squad will be mostly local players and so you will see one or two of them.

Whitmore noted that Blake is a good goalkeeper, who has been doing well at the youth level.

"Blake is a good goalkeeper because he has been in the Under-20 team and he has done well in that set-up for the country," Whitmore said.

Past results
    Jamaica vs Canada

Jamaica 1, Canada 1

13/03/1985, Montego Bay

Friendly International

Jamaica 0, Canada 0

17/03/1985, Kingston

Friendly International

Jamaica 0, Canada 4

05/04/1988, Kingston

Friendly International

Canada 3, Jamaica 2

03/07/1991 Los Angeles

Gold Cup

Jamaica 1, Canada 1

18/10/1992, Kingston

FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Canada 1, Jamaica 0

01/11/1992, Toronto

FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Canada 3, Jamaica 1

01/08/1995, Toronto

Friendly International

Canada 0 Jamaica 0

27/04/1997 Vancouver

FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Jamaica 1, Canada 0

07/09/1997, Kingston

FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Canada 1, Jamaica 0

02/09/1999, Toronto

Friendly International

Canada 1, Jamaica 0

04/09/2006, Montreal

Friendly International

Jamaica 2, Canada 1

08/10/2006 Kingston

Friendly International

Canada 1, Jamaica 1

07/09/2008, Edmonton

FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Jamaica 3, Canada 0

19/11/2008, Kingston

FIFA World Cup Qualifier

Canada1, Jamaica 0

03/07/2009, Carson/Los Angeles

Gold Cup
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

X, if you have not realized it, Tappa is only a pawn in Burrell's game. He does not run anything so it is best if he says nothing.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

When has anyone known Tappa to speak out? It is more likely you hear from Bradley Stewart than Tappa.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Wow...damming statements!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

What would you guys like to hear from Tappa? How many managers reveal their game plan? I think if we watch how the teams that he has selected and put on the field play, then that should give us an idea on what his philosophy is. Or at least what type of play he believes best suit the Jamaican player.

Comment

X nuh really have nutten fi do with him time.

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
              What would you guys like to hear from Tappa? How many managers reveal their game plan? I think if we watch how the teams that he has selected and put on the field play, then that should give us an idea on what his philosophy is. Or at least what type of play he believes best suit the Jamaican player.
              Some people nuh know what they want , they want foreign Coach u giv
              them Bora Mulitinovic dat nuh work u gim dem Simoes ... what them have
              against Tappa is only god knows . Man want to know formation , what kind
              of dumb question is that , how much time people going to hear its a 3-4-3 .
              man a go round an a talk bout argentina game too risky , how much time you hear that the only WC playoff will be in the Americas , seet deh Bolivia and
              Equador start send dem team fi play gainst concacaf countries . Bwouy some man nuh have nutten fi do with dem time beside fi bad mouth people .
              80 % of people favor Tappa , u soon hear im start promote foreign coach
              . every other island people know seh jamaicans are foreign minded ...

Tappa all the way !!
              Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
              United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
              happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
              Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                X, if you have not realized it, Tappa is only a pawn in Burrell's game. He does not run anything so it is best if he says nothing.
                I think u get it wrong , Tappa is worth much more than a pawn .
                have u realized , Tappa have played @ the highest level? . Have
                you realized Tappa have played in a professional league (english d2)?,
                do you realize Tappa have a 66% win with Jamaica National Team? .
                Have you realized Tappa have favorable results against coaches like
                sven-goran ericksson and Carlos Parreira , 2 huge Coaches . Do you
                realized majority of jamaicans approve of Tappa ?.

TAPPA ALL THE WAY !!
                Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
                United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
                Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Wha yuh say (me) my questions arent valid ? I havent said I dont support Tappa , what I dont support is his silence , it would be nice to know what a coach thinks of his side formation, defence , midfield and forwards , instead of the usual we are preparing gor suchand such and the yoths will get a chance!

What kind of marking system does he use zonal or man marking ? How is the midfield shaped ? does he have a 2 man defensive midfield or one , is it a traingle ? with one forward or diamond with a spear as a lone forwad ?How about the wingers , are the left /right backs to overlap , are the wingers suppose to track back if they do or do not are the defensive midfielders cover while the wingers get in the box ?

Is it too much to ask Tappa? If you know let me know I am lost .

BTW if you know let me know, I am a tappaite.. for now !

Comment

What role does the journalist play.

Comment

In all fairness to Tappa though X, some journalist would need to give him a platform to express his philosophy. It is hard for one Tappa to just get up and start saying this or that without anyone actually giving him the opportunity to do so. Take Simoes for example, the Jamaican journalists had a microphone in his face all the time, so it was not surprising you know what he had to say. It is different however with Tappa.
                      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Yes (me) Blame the journalist ! So in one of these press conferences Tappa cannot expound on anything except , we are blooding the youth and preparing for the next WC verbatim ?

I wonder why he would make such a response , was it because a question was asked ?

I am a Tappaite !
                        Last edited by Sir X; January 31, 2010, 10:23 AM.

Comment

What were the questions he was asked?
                          Did he mention something that was not reported?

During qualifiers Tappa spoke about formation, so clearly it isn't that he has never spoken about it. Think carefully before you start throwing your tantrums.

Comment

Tantrums is it ? Thats the point he has been asked questions and his answers are vague and repetitive,have you missed something ? you questioned the media not I , I question Tappa ability to articulate a point !

Comment

Must be you ask him the question. LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X