Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Egypt: Illegal Penalty Kick? Video Highlights

YouTube - Egypt vs Algeria 4-0 Goals

(2:25) Did the Egyptian player taking the penalty, the first goal of the game, make an illegal move by coming to a stop?

Originally posted by Bruce View Post
    YouTube - Egypt vs Algeria 4-0 Goals

(2:25) Did the Egyptian player taking the penalty, the first goal of the game, make an illegal move by coming to a stop?
    I have never seen where that is illegal!
    Is a stop a stutter step? ...how long was the stop?

...in any case the refs job is to make sure the game is fairly played. Obviously that ref thought everything was A-OK!

btw - Your link was, for me, dead!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

if it was a stop..illegal....didn't look like a stop to me tho...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Doesn't Tevez always take steps to his left...stops, then runs up?

Didn't Sócrates in his appearances in the 1982 World Cup stop during his run-up at the taking of Penalties?

Don't seem to remember any of Tevez' or Sócrates' penalties being disallowed on the basis of their stopping during their run-ups? ...but does not necessarily mean the 'taking' was legal. We often do see refs doing things contrary to the rules of the game...and particularly at the taking of Penalties.
        Last edited by Karl; January 29, 2010, 12:43 PM.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

check the rules, former ref, anyway...that particular pharoah did not stop.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
            check the rules, former ref, anyway...that particular pharoah did not stop.
            Will do!
            ...did not see...have not seen the video!

...and just saw the recent Milan classic replay and Ronaldinho stopped during his take of a penalty in the time added on...the 'keeper, Júlio César Soares Espíndola saved!
            Last edited by Karl; January 29, 2010, 01:00 PM.

Comment

the issue is not whether the player stops or not. the player may stop in his run-up, but what I see here is a fake. the kicker cannot fake the kick.

what is a fake? i think once the kicking leg leaves the field any at all and does not follow through in one natural motion, then it's a fake. I kinda believe that was the case here.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Should This Move Be Banned?

The Brazilian Penalty-Kick 'Paradinha' Has Some Pitching a Fit; This 'Must Be Stopped'

By HANNAH KARP

Rogério Ceni, goalkeeper for São Paulo, falls victim to a 'paradinha,' a Brazilian tactic for penalty shots where a shooter pauses during his kicking motion. In this case, the shooter was Neymar, of the Brazilian club Santos, in a match early last month.

Here's the thing about soccer: When it comes to innovation and creativity, there's Brazil and then there's everybody else.

To stop the Brazilians, you can try to overwhelm them (good luck with that) or try to steal their techniques. If that doesn't work, all you can do is change the rules.

This weekend in Zurich, as it makes final preparations for June's World Cup, soccer's main rule-making body will discuss the latest controversial bit of Brazilian magic: a devastating penalty-kick maneuver known as the paradinha.

The tactic, which in Portuguese means "little stop," was first popularized by Pelé in the 1970s but has recently been adopted, and sharpened, by many leading Brazilian players and by an increasing number of stars from other countries, like Portugal's Cristiano Ronaldo.

Soccer striker Neymar shoots a "paradinha" for the Santos vs. Sao Paulo match on Feb. 7, 2010.
                Journal Community

The paradinha (pronounced par-a-JEEN-ya) is performed on a penalty kick by the shooter, who pauses unexpectedly before striking the ball—or even swings his foot through the air several times—before making contact. It's designed to throw off the goalkeeper's timing. When executed properly, the move can have jaw-dropping results.

Last month in a Brazilian professional game against São Paulo, an 18-year-old striker for Santos, whose name is Neymar, lined up to take a penalty kick. He began jogging slowly up to the ball, then suddenly accelerated his pace, then stopped abruptly, almost backpedaling. São Paulo's goalie, Rogério Ceni, jumped off his feet toward his right side, leaving Neymar, who has been dubbed by some as "the new Pelé," free to kick the ball into the opposite lower corner for an easy goal. The striker, who is being courted by a slew of European teams, high-fived a teammate and celebrated with a short samba dance as the crowd went wild and the announcers screamed: "Paradinha! Goooool!"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...305084092.html

Comment

illegal kick!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    illegal kick!
                    I always thought it was illegal too but according to the rest of the article
                    it isn't.

"The move isn't prohibited by current rules of FIFA, and the international governing body says the earliest it could change or clarify the penalty-kick rule would be next year. But it will be up to each referee to decide whether to permit the move at the World Cup when it begins in South Africa in June, or whether to punish the maneuver as "unsporting behavior."

Already some powerful forces have spoken out against it. "This is cheating," said FIFA President Joseph Blatter, talking about the paradinha at a meeting in Rio in September. "This 'stopping' must be stopped."

Comment

without even checking the rules, allow me to repeat - this penalty kick technique is illegal!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The "laws" of the game do not address this clearly... see law 14 and its interpretation.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...fthegameen.pdf

Itr says "feinting" is allowed, but if it is considered by the ref to be "unsporting" then it should be cautioned.

I read elsewhere that stopping is illegal as you say, but FIFA doesn't put it like that in their laws. It looks to me like they give refs discretion with the Paradinha or whatever the Brazilians call it.

Personally, I don't think it should be allowed as it gives too big an advantage to the kicker.
                        Peter R

Comment

check out this eediat!

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/soccer/bl...urn=sow,232257
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            The "laws" of the game do not address this clearly... see law 14 and its interpretation.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/affe...fthegameen.pdf

Itr says "feinting" is allowed, but if it is considered by the ref to be "unsporting" then it should be cautioned.

I read elsewhere that stopping is illegal as you say, but FIFA doesn't put it like that in their laws. It looks to me like they give refs discretion with the Paradinha or whatever the Brazilians call it.

Personally, I don't think it should be allowed as it gives too big an advantage to the kicker.
                            It is not illegal! ...and it was greatly applauded when Socrates was flaunting it during the '82 World Cup.

Comment

Working...
                            X