Sol Campbell to make shock Gunners return

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sol Campbell to make shock Gunners return

Arsenal have confirmed Sol Campbell will feature for the reserves on Tuesday with the prospect of re-signing with the Gunners..
    The 35-year-old is currently without a club after leaving League Two side Notts County last year, having played just one game for the Magpies.
    Campbell has been training with Arsenal since leaving County and he is believed to have impressed Gunners boss Arsene Wenger.
    Wenger refused to rule out a move for Campbell last week after reports first emerged of a possible move back to Arsenal.
    Campbell's likely return has moved a step closer with the former England international set to line up for Arsenal's second string against West Ham at Upton Park on Tuesday.
    A short statement on the club's official website said: "Tonight's reserve team to face West Ham United at Upton Park features Sol Campbell, who plays on a Reserve League registration, with a view to a permanent move back to Arsenal Football Club."
    Campbell, who had a five-year spell with the Gunners between 2001 and 2006, has been linked with a number of clubs since his acrimonious departure from Notts County, but it appears he is set to make a shock return to North London.

Sol Campbell has spoken of his emotional return to Arsenal as he finalises a sensational move back to the Emirates Stadium.
    The one-time Gunners favourite played 45 minutes for the club's second string at West Ham on Tuesday night and has done enough to convince Arsene Wenger he is worth a permanent deal.
    Campbell's last game in an Arsenal shirt came in the 2006 UEFA Champions League final, which preceded a move to Portsmouth and an ill-fated spell at Notts County.
    He could be in the Arsenal squad for the Premier League trip to Bolton on Sunday but first needs to sort out his contract at the Emirates.
    "There are still a few technicalities to iron out, but I have signed for Arsenal until the end of the season, and it's fantastic, great, marvellous," said Campbell. "The old enthusiasm is back.
    "I'm ecstatic really to be back at Arsenal, and I have worked bloody hard to get there."
    Tip top

Campbell is confident he still has what it takes to perform at the highest level and believes Wenger's faith in him is a fair indication of his current state, both physically and mentally.
    "Arsene Wenger has been an inspiration," he said. "He has watched me closely after letting me train at Arsenal for nearly two months now.
    "He's not stupid - he wouldn't have taken me back if he didn't like what he has seen, and I have worked and worked. I do believe I can contribute.
    "I really have my confidence and fitness back and I believe I can make a big, big contribution.
    "There is fantastic quality all around the pitch within this Arsenal team and I want to be part of it, and I will make a big push to try to do that, but it's little steps at a time."
    The 35-year-old has been training at the Gunners' Hertfordshire base and while Newcastle and Hull City enquired as to his availability, an opportunity to return to Arsenal was always going to be too good to refuse.
    "There have been a few clubs, quite a bit of speculation. But going back to Arsenal - well, that is serious, and I am serious about this.
    "I've missed it and I've a gut feeling this is the right move.
    "It's no longer a hunger to get back, it's turned into a craving. I am champing at the bit. I'm fresh, I'm raring to go. It's unbelievable to be back."

Comment

FROM Arsenal to Notts County (via Portsmouth) and back - there can't have been many players to have spanned the divisions quite as markedly as Sulzeer Jeremiah Campbell.

But he was back in action for the Gunners this evening, in a 4-2 success reserve team success against West Ham for his first outing since lining up at Morecambe on September 19.

Despite reports that he was back in great shape, Arsene Wenger was clearly out to protect Sol's experienced legs. And the prodigal son only lasted for the first 45 minutes at Upton Park.
      However, the Arsenal defence held out during his time on the pitch and he got in a couple of meaty defensive headers - including one on the back of team-mate Craig Eastmond's bonce - as the visitors raced into a two-goal lead thanks to a quick-fire brace from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas.
      Ignasi Miquel had the dubious honour of replacing the Sol man and immediately Arsenal became more shaky.
      Two Freddie Sears penalties brought the Hammers level before Emmanuel Frimpong hit a fine 20-yard winner for Arsenal with just seven minutes left and Emmanuel-Thomas completed his hat-trick in stoppage-time.

Comment

SOL CAMPBELL called rejoining Arsenal one of the 'best' moments in his life.

In an emotional interview after his second Gunners debut against West Ham reserves on Tuesday night, he sounded like a man who had rediscovered his lust for life.

The occasion marked a historic return and, as he spoke in the bowels of Upton Park, he was every inch a guy who STILL genuinely loves football.

Emirates boss Arsene Wenger has made the ex-England centre-back's dream come true by handing him a sensational comeback at the top of the game.

And he was convinced by Campbell's dogged determination in training. Campbell said: "I felt ecstatic when Arsene told me he wanted me back. It was the best moment. The best moment I've had in football for a long time.

"I'm desperate to play, I want to play football. Being away from the game has really got me going and revitalised me. I'm fresh and I'm ready."

In the couple of months Campbell spent training with Arsenal since walking out on Notts County four weeks into a five-year deal, he's worked 'bloody hard'. That meant double sessions on many occasions.

Wenger took his time to decide and the Arsenal staff ran the rule over every aspect of Campbell's game and fitness.

He added: "I was at the training ground when it happened. It wasn't crash, bang, wallop, it was a gradual process.

"Arsene was just really watching me train and studying me. Seeing how I am, putting certain sessions on. Basically, they did a massive dossier on me and the stats are very good, very good. You would be surprised."

Think what you like about Wenger's choice but one thing is certain. Deep down Campbell kept alive the hunger - despite the huge sums he has earned.

He said: "I can't believe it really. It wasn't strange wearing an Arsenal shirt again, I felt very comfortable in it. I probably first started to think it could happen about two weeks ago, three weeks ago. I wasn't shocked, I was training hard! Arsene is a very clever man. He just saw my determination."

Wenger has been linked with Arsenal's former stars in the past. But he passed up Patrick Vieira and Campbell is the FIRST former Gunner that Wenger has taken back.

A fact Campbell is very proud of. He said: "It's a great compliment that I'm the first player Arsene's re-signed.

"I've got to repay that faith. I have to contribute. It's a long season, there are big games coming up. Hopefully, it all goes well and I play some games."

Back from the scrapheap, Campbell has an unwavering belief he has the nous to guide Arsenal's youngsters to glory.

He said: "The likes of me and William Gallas have seen it all before and that's what it's all about really. It's showing the young lads when you've got that green light just keep it going.

"When the games are coming thick and fast and you need a win here or a draw and everyone's tired, it's just dragging the lads over the line and getting the result."

var RStag = "";try{RStag = segQS;}catch(e){RStag = "";}document.write('');var ACE_AR = {site: '779621', size: '300250', Region: '2'};Dim adsVB,poadsVB=0If ScriptEngineMajorVersion >=2 then adsVB=1Function adsAX(aX)on error resume nextIf adsVB=1 thenadsAX=Falseset po=CreateObject(aX)adsAX=IsObject(po)If (err) then adsAX=FalseElseadsAX=FalseEnd IfEnd Function

The former Tottenham skipper left Arsenal under a cloud, after winning two Doubles in five glory-filled years.

Now he admits he shouldn't have done it - even though he won the FA Cup with Pompey in 2008 which is more than Arsenal have won since he left.

Campbell said: "I almost wish I had never left Arsenal in 2006. Sometimes when you go away you realize what you're missing and what a top club Arsenal is.

"I won the FA Cup at Portsmouth, so I didn't do badly but sometimes you move away, re-think things and here I am.

"Both sides appreciate what they had once it went away and both sides miss it. You've got to apply yourself, though, and I've worked bloody hard. It's lovely being back, it's like home really."

And the former England man believes he can convince Wenger to keep him past the summer, maybe for another three years.

Campbell said: "If the club carry on training me like this, I can keep going for two or three years playing real good quality. It's all about determination.

"Being out of the game really helped me in the sense that it revitalised me. I'm really fresh and raring to go.

"Now, I can play and I've been given a chance and I'm desperate to play. I'm in better shape than I was in the summer, big time. All the Arsenal staff has done wonders.

"My dream is to stay on past the end of the season but who knows? People like Franco Baresi and Paolo Maldini are an inspiration. The main thing is whenever I get a chance I want to bloody show what I can do.

"David James playing for England at 40 is an inspiration to me. But the main thing for me is step-by-step and go from there. It's a dream, a dream come true to be back at Arsenal.

"I had other offers but some people mucked around. Arsene said 'Right, this is it' and I said 'OK, let's make it happen'.

Comment

There is an old adage in football that a player, or manager for that matter, should never go back to a previous club.

Either Sol Campbell has never heard that piece of advice or he is turning a blind eye to it as he looks set to complete a sensational return to Arsenal, having played 45 minutes for their reserves in a 4-2 win against West Ham.

The former Tottenham and Portsmouth centre-back has been available on a free-transfer ever since fleeing the doomed "Notts County experiment" and finally being released from his contract in December. >>>>>>>>>>>
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Sol gone back to collect his pension money.
            “I am not a politician..I only suffer the consequences”.......Peter Tosh

Comment

Working...
            X