X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• African Nations Cup

Is it in danger of not being played?
    Peter R

Togo have withdrawn from the African Nations Cup in Angola following the machine gun attack on their team bus on Friday.

GettyImages

The team bus was attacked by rebels after crossing the border from the Democratic Republic of Congo into the Angolan enclave of Cabinda ahead of the tournament. The driver was killed and two players were injured, as well as members of staff.

Reports in France suggested early on Saturday that the players had taken to decision not to take part in the competition, which starts on Sunday, and midfielder Alaixys Romao has now confirmed the stories.

"We're waiting for the plane to return to Lome," the Grenoble player told L'Equipe. "We're also talking to the other teams in our group to try to convince them to boycott the competition, too."

Coach Hubert Velud claims the authorities should seriously consider whether to call off the tournament after the attack.

Angola insist their country is committed to hosting a secure tournament and said they would step up security.

Officials are set to hold a meeting with the Confederation of African Football (CAF) today and Velud believes the future of the competition should be called into question.

"We can at least pose ourselves that question," Velud told French radio station RMC on Saturday morning. "It's an act of barbarism while we are here to celebrate African football.

"We left the hospital a short time ago to come to the centre for the teams in the competition. We stayed in the hospital a long time so that we could be very united.

"In these situations, you become a bit paranoid, you doubt everything. We don't feel that the authorities are taking this very seriously.

"I don't mean that they want to hush up the matter, but almost. What will happen I don't know. We will have a meeting with the players and technical staff to take a decision."

While Velud was disappointed with the way the authorities are dealing with the incident, he was full of praise for the army.

"What's sure is that the army saved our lives," he said. "Without them, the rebels would have destroyed us because we didn't have any defence. And I wouldn't be here to speak to you now.

"I was hit in the arm but it's nothing compared to what happened to the assistant coach, who took a bullet in the stomach, as did the press attache.

"Goalkeeper Kodjovi Obilale took one in the kidney. My case is minor in comparison to them, but we are all in shock because it's an act of war. There was a lot of blood and fear in the bus. I'm thinking of people I know but there is also a huge thought for the driver, who was killed."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

while it is tuff, personally I think they should play, not to give in to terror.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

africans trying to bring down africa. novel!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

you sure them a Africans?
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            africans trying to bring down africa. novel!
            Its as always been like that through our history . All the other races
            look down on black people because of the way we treat our selves .
            no wonder why they call black people sub humans , cause blacks treat
            each other like animals .
            Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
            United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
            happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
            Probably forthcoming...

Comment

It's a damn shame!!!!
              Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Munich, Atlanta went ahead or continued; cricket tours to Pakistan and India were called off or moved to neutral venues after bomb attacks.

The question that was raised on the BBC is how this will affect the WC in SA; the perception that all of that part of the world is a hot bed of violence.

Unfair to SA IMO.
                Peter R

Comment

Mi nuh wrong Togo. You have a family to see at home. Better you go back home. No need to risk your life.

Comment

yeah the terrorist got what they wanted, the Togo team out.

Unfair to SA yes but you done know already how them a start talk.

Comment

Working...
                    X