• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JFF scores Academy Goal

JFF scores Goal
    BY IAN BURNETT Sport Editor

Thursday, January 07, 2010

THE FIFA Goal Bureau yesterday granted permission to the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) for its contractor, Tank-Weld Group, to commence construction of the FIFA Goal Project on the campus of the University of the West Indies (UWI), Mona.

Construction is scheduled to begin in two weeks (Thursday, January 21), following final approval from Kingston Mayor Desmond McKenzie, which, according to JFF president Captain Horace Burrell, is expected early next week.

“I received, a few hours ago, written correspondence from the FIFA Goal Bureau in Zurich approving our Goal Project to be situated at our new location on the UWI Mona Campus. This is going to be our technical centre,” beamed Captain Burrell in an exclusive interview with the Observer last evening.

"I am heartened by this news and if this is an indication of how this year is going to be for football, then certainly I am overjoyed, because as you all know, there is no doubt in anybody’s mind that this year is going to be tough, and the fact that we are able to receive this confirmation is certainly good news thus far,” added the JFF boss, who first broke ground in Portmore, St Catherine, for the construction of the Goal Project/National Football Academy more than six years ago.

Phase One of the Goal Project will include two full-sized training fields with proper underground irrigation systems; perimeter fencing, the construction of rest rooms and changing facilities, as well as facilities for technical staff.

Tank-Weld Group won the tender from a group of three in the final stages, and Burrell has no doubts that they will get the job done on time. They are expected to provide the expertise to develop the training fields.

“The contractor is the well established company Tank-Weld Group, which we have every confidence that they will complete this project on time,” he said, adding: “Tank-Weld Group’s reputation precedes them, they are a highly professional company, so I am satisfied that the process was followed and the best contractor has been selected for the job.”

He added: “I want to express thanks to the six-member Goal Project Committee headed by former JDF chief of staff, General John Simmonds, Carvel Stewart, Leighton McKnight, Howard McIntosh, Saleem Lazarus and Rev Calvin Baker, which has worked tirelessly to see this through.”

The JFF boss also paid tribute to UWI head professor Gordon Shirley and his technical and engineering staff, which made the six-and-a-half acres available to the JFF.

“The UWI is developing a major sporting facility and this is a part of it,” noted Captain Burrell.

The grant from the FIFA Goal Bureau is US$400,000, which will be paid over directly to the contractor, and completion of the project is expected by the end of August.

Following its completion, FIFA and CONCACAF presidents Joseph ‘Sepp’ Blatter and Austin ‘Jack’ Warner, respectively, will be invited to the inauguration ceremony sometime in September.

But a livid Captain Burrell lashed out at the former Crenston Boxhill-led administration, which moved the site from Portmore to Malvern in St Elizabeth, after deeming the location unsuitable for a training centre.
    That incomplete facility was later termed a “tragedy” by regional boss Warner when he viewed the facilities in 2007, prompting the JFF to seek permission from the FIFA to relocate to the UWI.

“Right now we are at the back of the line because of the tremendous bungling which took place during the former administration,” bemoaned Burrell.

“Right now this administration is committed to moving ahead rapidly to catch up with the rest of the world, many of whom have two or three Goal Projects,” claimed the JFF boss.

Now Burrell plans to apply for Goal Project Two immediately after the completion of the first phase, as no National Association can be considered for additional projects until the preceding ones have been successfully completed.

“Most countries have got two and three projects, so having spoken to FIFA, I am confident that we will obtain Goal Projects Two and Three,” he assured, adding that his administration has already done up all the drawings for phases two and three.

Goal Projects Two and Three will comprise dorms, gyms, physiotherapy facilities and parking lots.
    Last edited by Karl; January 7, 2010, 01:33 PM.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

there is an election on the horizon ?

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
      there is an election on the horizon ?
      So?
      ...I would think many are happy that something appears to be happening! Those, I am sure, would not want to delay the impending action just to skip an election year.

FORWARD!
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

depends on where you sit. One could easily argue that the interuption of the Malvern project was ill advise and now nothing to show for it.. So I understand the spin and urgency now to get something concrete.

Comment

yuh mean di JFF a run wid it?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Did you say concrete?
            Damn it has been how long again?
            10 years fi build a damn half ass academy.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
              Did you say concrete?
              Damn it has been how long again?
              10 years fi build a damn half ass academy.
              The bungling, politricks and self serving behaviour is a PERFECT MICROCOSM of Jamaican reality.

Analyse that.
              TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                depends on where you sit. One could easily argue that the interuption of the Malvern project was ill advise and now nothing to show for it.. So I understand the spin and urgency now to get something concrete.
                mmmm?

Seems as if you started in the middle...was there a Portmore project before Potsdam (Munro) project?

Incidentally, Malvern is approximately 4 miles 'down the road' from where that white elephant sits.
                "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

things were going so well.. then.. 1972 and the PNP Cultural Revolution..

Ah Bwoy..

Comment

I dont think we laid a shovel a portmore. And of all the site its the worse... I liked the Idea of going to the country. But a this point just get something done.

Comment

Originally posted by Maudib View Post
                      things were going so well.. then.. 1972 and the PNP Cultural Revolution..

Ah Bwoy..
                      whey yuh ah falla man all ova fah?....you are indeed like a virus

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

• Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So if a new admin takes over this year, where wiil the site move to?

Comment

Originally posted by Brush View Post
                            So if a new admin takes over this year, where wiil the site move to?
                            maybe Newcastle

Comment

Working...
                            X