Wenger-Transfer window gives me dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wenger-Transfer window gives me dilemma

Arsène Wenger admits that he faces a dilemma when the transfer window swings open on Friday.

The Arsenal manager told Arsenal TV Online last month that he could enter the market to find a replacement for Robin Van Persie, who could miss the rest of the season with ankle ligament damage. Wenger's need for attacking reinforcements became even more pressing when Nicklas Bendtner's lengthy lay-off was extended to mid-January thanks to a persistent groin injury.

Theo Walcott completes a trio of strikers on the sidelines but, although Arsenal's treatment room remains busy, the goals have flowed on the pitch. Wenger's side have scored 15 times in six Premier League games in December, taking 16 points from a possible 18 to rein in the leaders, Chelsea.

The manager is still on the look-out for new recruits but recent evidence suggests that Arsenal are coping rather well without their absentees.

"It's not completely rational, football," said Wenger. "The superficial rationality is not the real one sometimes.

"It’s true that we have problems with our strikers. Even I say that. Everybody tells me to buy strikers, but when I look at the League, nobody has scored more goals than us.

"We have players who move the ball well and everybody gets in dangerous positions. And that’s why, with the confidence high, everyone can score goals. But we are still in the market."

Arsenal fans will be watching Wenger's transfer-market manoeuvres with great interest over the next month. But if the Frenchman does bring in a new signing, he will certainly not break the bank.

"The rules in professional football are to win and balance the budget," said Wenger. "That's the basic rule, and I always did fight for that. All the rest is half-cheating.

"I don't speak about what's happened here, but that's what I'm for. For every club it has to be the same: for everybody. I always pleaded for financial fair play.”

Arsenal close in on Wellington

Arsenal have reportedly agreed a £3.5 million move for Fluminese forward Wellington Silva.

By Telegraph staff
    Published: 10:17AM GMT 01 Jan 2010

According to the Daily Mail, the 16-year-old Brazilian impressed Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger during a trial in Dec 2008.
    The player's agent, Rodrigo Pitta, said: "We completed the transaction last week. The player is already Arsenal's and Fluminese have already received some money."

Related Articles

Manchester United, Chelsea and Real Madrid have also been monitoring the striker, who was one of Brazil's star players at the U17 World Cup.
    However, Arsenal appear to have the won the race to Wellington's signature, although he will not be allowed to join up with the club until his 18th birthday, in January 2011.
    Meanwhile, Wenger looks set to rotate his squad for the FA Cup third-round tie at West Ham on Sunday.
    Captain Cesc Fabregas (hamstring), Denilson (back) and Theo Walcott (side strain) are all sidelined, but Czech winger Tomas Rosicky is in contention and defender Mikael Silvestre and reserve goalkeeper Lukasz Fabianski could both also feature.
    Midfielder Alex Song will play before jetting off to the African Nations Cup, but Emmanuel Eboue is already away with Ivory Coast.
    Nicklas Bendtner (groin), Gael Clichy (back), Kieran Gibbs (foot), Robin van Persie (ankle) and Johan Djourou (knee) remain out

Comment

Working...
    X