• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legendary Jamaican football player died

LEGENDARY JAMAICA FOOTBALLER 'SYD' BARTLETT DIES
    By HG HELPS Editor-at-Large

Monday, December 21, 2009

Legendary former YMCA and Jamaica footballer Sydney 'Syd' Bartlett died in the Intensive Care Unit of a New York hospital on Saturday following a prolonged kidney-related ailment. He was 70.

Bartlett, regarded in some circles as the finest footballer that Jamaica has produced, will be buried today in Manhattan, New York after spending almost a decade in a nursing home. He has often been compared to Allan 'Skill' Cole as Jamaica's best ever footballer.

"He was one of a kind," Bartlett's close friend and former Jamaica technical director Winston Chung-Fah told the Observer from his Cayman Islands base yesterday.

"He was not a man who talked a lot, he did not boast and he was extremely private," Chung-Fah said.

Bartlett, with his unique style of dribbling, characterised by his two index fingers in the air as he clinically carried the ball with precision, represented Jamaica during the late 1950s into the 1960s and was a part of Jamaica's first World Cup qualification squad of 1965 which went down 2-3 to eventual qualifiers Mexico at the National Stadium. Bartlett, who was instrumental in both of Jamaica's goals, had his shorts ripped almost to shreds in that match, courtesy of defenders who tried to hold onto him every time he headed toward goal.

The top line forward, known also as "The Worm", was a member of the feared YMCA five-man frontline of the 1950s and 60s that also included fellow Jamaican star Lascelles 'Dallas' Dunkley, Peter Lewin, Elvin Schloss and George Davidson, with midfield support from national representative Henry Largie, Hopeton Kenton, captain Milton Taylor, among others.

"He was incredible as a footballer," Bartlett's colleague and friend, New York-based professor Basil 'Bagga' Wilson said from his Long Island home yesterday.

Wilson, a former Kingston College Manning Cup star from 1959 to 1961, is trying to co-ordinate a memorial service in Jamaica early next year, which he hopes will fully recognise the life and work of Bartlett.

"He was charismatic as a player. Every time he picked the ball up, it was headache for opponents. He was one of the best that we have ever produced and I just hope that we can have a memorial service that would be fitting for the contribution that he has made to Jamaica's football," Wilson said.

A past student of Gaynstead High School in St Andrew, Bartlett has lived in the United States since the 1960s when he went there to play
    professionally for the New York Generals, one of the first Jamaicans to do so. He also suited up for Jamaica Bays, a Diaspora team comprising several Jamaica players including Ruddy Pearce, Lloyd Walker, Donald 'Billy' Perkins, Paul Thomas, among others.

With strong connections to the East Kingston communities of Doncaster, Rollington Town and Franklyn Town, Bartlett left an indelible mark on Jamaica's football to the extent that the Kingston & St Andrew Football Association named the Syd Bartlett League, involving teams in the Corporate Area's third division, after him.

"There was never a man that I saw who could carry the ball like Syddie," Chung-Fah said.

Bartlett, who leaves behind five children, was also a competent wicketkeeper/batsman at cricket. Many of his friends still believe that he could have represented the West Indies had he opted for cricket over football.
    Last edited by Karl; December 23, 2009, 11:25 AM.

R.I.P. Legend. I grew up hearing about his exploits but never met him. In fact, I thought he had passed on long ago. 70 years old is too young to pass on though; what with the advancement of healthcare since the late 90's! I have my personal feelings on healthcare in nursing homes and my Mom will never be sent to one.

Big respect and thanks to Syd Bartlett for the legacy and memories. R.I.P. Big Baller.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

you right on that farmer. I though Syd Barlett had passed long ago. Never seen him but hear a lot about the legend.

RIP the baller and the best to his family.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Right, nuff a wi did ongle hear bout him an him style pan di ball an especially dat 65 side one a di bes wi did have inna qualification. RIP baller yuh gone but not forgotten.

Comment

Syddie was a ball artist, I saw him run ball pon Cuba & Panama in the 9th CAC games and other matches. The writer said he was often compared to Skill, but I was told Skill pattern his game after Syddie. I don't think Syddie got enough ink over the last 20 years or so. Team mate Dunkley hails from Mo Bay, last heard he was in Florida. I never knew he reside ine the USA. Since he was playing in the 60's, then he was here with intial guys such as Dan Clarke(Railway) and Garnett Rowe (Boys Club). Where are our highlight news reels? Historian any connection?

Comment

Talent abounds!
            This man was 'bad'!
            Rest In Peace, Syddie!
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I went to the JFF site, to read upon Syddie, no such info, again it seems to me that Football in Jamaica started with the Reggae Boyz, oh well the photo that was posted in the Gleaner says it all, NO RESPECT to old ballers.

Comment

Originally posted by TDowl View Post
                I went to the JFF site, to read upon Syddie, no such info, again it seems to me that Football in Jamaica started with the Reggae Boyz, oh well the photo that was posted in the Gleaner says it all, NO RESPECT to old ballers.
                so true. but i'm sure Jawge don't have a problem with that.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                X