• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Waggonist. Mo please don't read.LOL

Shola wants to be a Super Eagle

BY Joel Campbell 0 Comments

AMBITIOUS: Ameobi

NEWCASTLE STRIKER Shola Ameobi would jump at the chance to play for Nigeria in next year’s World Cup despite turning down opportunities to represent his country of birth in the past.

Ameobi, 29, said recently that the opportunity to represent England is unlikely to come his way so it would make sense to pursue his ambitions in international football with the African country his was ‘born and bred’ in.

Fifa rules allow Ameobi to play for Nigeria should they decide to pick him despite the fact that the six foot striker played for England at under-21 level.

Talking about what the prospect of playing for Nigeria would mean to him and his parents, Ameobi said: “It was a great honour for me to represent England at Under-21 level and my mum and dad were so proud of me.

“But they would love to see me play for Nigeria. I see myself as Nigerian, I was born and bred there.

“It’s not about changing allegiances. I’ve got Nigerian roots and I’m proud of my country, the country where I was born and spent the first five or six years of my life.

“Playing at the World Cup is the pinnacle of any player’s career. It’s what you dream of and if I can do that with Nigeria then that would be fantastic for me.

“They have been in touch before to see whether I was interested. In the past, I chose not to so I could concentrate on helping Newcastle.

“But I have reached a stage in my career where I would love to play international football and realistically it’s not going to happen with England.
    “As I say, Nigeria is the country of my birth and if the coach is open to it then it’s something I would love to do, at the African Nations Cup and the World Cup.”
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

See anedda one yah! Refused to accept previous calls to play for Nigeria because he was holding out to play for England. Now that it seems England not interested, he's singing a sankie to play for Nigeria.

Disgustingly, many are the English-born Jamaicans who did just like Shola is doing now. Sadly though, the one English-born player (Nugsy) who voiced his intentions early that he only wanted to play for Jamaica was never called upon. Now the English FA won't even look his way.
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

I wonder if both of his parents are Nigerian? Nigerians are marrying quite a few Jamaicans these days.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

He aint good enough for nigeria

Comment

Aaaaaah?! ....sah?!
          The World Cup!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Farmah View Post
            See anedda one yah! Refused to accept previous calls to play for Nigeria because he was holding out to play for England. Now that it seems England not interested, he's singing a sankie to play for Nigeria.

Disgustingly, many are the English-born Jamaicans who did just like Shola is doing now. Sadly though, the one English-born player (Nugsy) who voiced his intentions early that he only wanted to play for Jamaica was never called upon. Now the English FA won't even look his way.
            While I understand your point of view, you cannot fault some players for wanting to represent England over JA or any other nation that doesnt go to tha WC often. Its just logical. I dont agree with it but it is what it is. The USA NT also have had a couple players snub them too. Its not uncommon. In Shola's case he's not tha first and wont be tha last player to do this.

Comment

Working...
            X