RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your truth? - What would you have done? TH14...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your truth? - What would you have done? TH14...

From The Times

November 19, 2009

Thierry Henry is an insincere cheat who has tarnished his reputation for good

Tony Cascarino, Commentary

Would you have owned up? In front of 80,000 fans and millions more on television, would you have confessed to handball and wiped out the goal that was sending your nation to the World Cup finals?

It’s a matter of conscience. Don’t think I’m ducking the question when I say that it would never have been an issue for me — because I wasn’t a cheat. In that split second last night when the ball dropped for Thierry Henry, tantalisingly close but just out of range of his feet, it would never have occurred to me to stick out my hand and guide it back into my control. I wasn’t that devious.

I’m no angel, but I know that I wouldn’t have done what he did. And if the roles had been reversed and Ireland had reached South Africa in such a dubious way, would I have been delighted at victory? Of course. Would I have felt it was tainted? Absolutely.

Henry can say what he likes. No doubt he will plead his innocence. But to me, that handball was pure, calculated cheating. Accidental? He handballed it to keep it in, then slightly knocked it again to get it nicely on his right foot.

Times Archive, 1986: England sent tumbling out by Maradona

England yesterday suffered at the hands of the best player in the world

Related Links
    It’s tarnished his reputation for good. Like Diego Maradona, when we reflect in years to come on the career of one of the finest strikers the game has known, we will have to put his handball against Ireland right up there with all the great goals he scored.

What a tragic missed opportunity. What a chance to be a hero Henry had — not to his home country but to the whole game. Cheating in all its guises is slowly killing football and if Henry had held his hands up again and admitted to the referee that he had handled the ball and the goal should not stand, he would have earned the admiration of the entire sporting world.

But he didn’t. He knew that he had done wrong, but he put self-interest ahead of justice. He could have been a beacon of integrity; instead he shined shame on himself and on football.

Cheating in football is commonplace now because the authorities cheat us all by their spineless failure to punish the perpetrators. Will Sepp Blatter, the Fifa president, or Michel Platini, the Frenchman who is his Uefa counterpart, condemn Henry, or float the idea that the tie should be replayed? Of course not. They will turn a blind eye, and another piece of football’s credibility, another little part of its soul, will quietly die.

The injustice is made worse by the teams’ performances. Ireland were so much better than France. Raymond Domenech’s players have hearts the size of peas. But then, Henry is their captain. Handball aside, he showed no leadership qualities. He speaks so eloquently, but to me now he’ll always be insincere, a faker, someone who cares only about himself.
    I’m gutted for Ireland and for football.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Lazie, what do you think of Tony Cascarino now?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I am tired of this racist Holy Than though British media , TIYAAD A DEM !
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Lazie, what do you think of Tony Cascarino now?
        Tainted? What is left for Th14 to win? .... World Club Championship? Wait til next month.
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Tony Cascarino 'beat his wife'

By MIKE SULLIVAN
          and ANTONELLA LAZZERI
          Published: 18 Dec 2008
          SOCCER pundit Tony Cascarino has been arrested for allegedly assaulting estranged wife Virginie.
          She has also claimed he threatened to kill her.

The 46-year-old ex-Aston Villa and Millwall star left the marital home in Chislehurst, South London, earlier this year. He was arrested after returning last Saturday afternoon, when a heated row erupted.

Gary Stone/The Sun
          French-born Virginie, 32, who has two sons and a daughter with the former Republic of Ireland international, called police. Cascarino, now a columnist for The Times and a TV and radio commentator, was arrested.

He was taken to Bromley police station and questioned on suspicion of assault and making threats to kill and bailed until next year.

Blonde Virginie also claimed he had assaulted her during a previous incident several months ago. Cascarino, capped 88 times for Ireland, split from her earlier this year.

He left his previous wife, Sarah, with whom he has two children, after Virginie fell pregnant with his child while a 20-year-old law student in France.

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...#ixzz0XKFu073u

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage...cle2048546.ece

what do you think of tony cascarino now?

Comment

Boy Shola ... yuh a punch below the waist.
            "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

ok. this is too much now...it was a handball for crying out loud. no need to dig up the man's personal life! his beating his wife is not relevant as i see it.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

were they playing in a football match when it happened?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yuh tink it easy fi slew a dragon?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yo dont throw stone if u live inna glass house

Comment

Fi real X...mi tyaad a dem to mi bwoy! Always quick fi blame someone or something whenever they fall short...It's never them!!

Comment

Working...
                      X