Bitter Keane blasts Platini and Blatter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitter Keane blasts Platini and Blatter

Ireland captain Robbie Keane has hit out at the presidents of FIFA and UEFA following his country's controversial World Cup exit in Paris, claiming they would be "delighted" that France had gone through.

Les Bleus striker Thierry Henry clearly used his hand to set up William Gallas' decisive goal as France levelled Keane's opener at the Stade de France to draw 1-1 on Wednesday night, winning the two-legged tie 2-1 on aggregate.

After the match, an angry Keane lambasted FIFA's 11th hour decision to seed the World Cup play-off draw in favour of the big teams, which ultimately pitted the Irish against France, and the Ireland international claims FIFA president Sepp Blatter and his UEFA counterpart Michel Platini got the result they would have wanted.
    "Of course it is an easy decision to do the seedings," Keane told BBC Radio Five Live. "They're all probably clapping hands, Platini sitting up there on the phone to Sepp Blatter, probably texting each other, delighted with the result, with France (getting through)."
    The Tottenham Hotspur striker claims that when it emerged that established football powers such as France, Portugal and at one stage Germany could be involved in the play-offs, football's governing bodies quickly went back on their initial decision not to seed the knock-out ties.
    Keane said: "Germany had a chance of being in the (play-offs) as well. With two massive countries, there's no way in a million years is there going to be fair draw."
    Ireland's assistant manager Liam Brady also took a swipe at the seeding system and blamed FIFA's weighted draw for heaping a huge amount of pressure on referee Martin Hansson.
    Brady said: "I would maybe look at what happened three months before and the fact that these seedings for the play-offs were made to favour the bigger teams. I would ask why that went on.
    "The pressure on referees is enormous then. The pressure is too much to bear and I hought the referee up until then had refereed the match in fine fashion, but he succumbed under pressure."
    After the match, Henry admitted the ball did strike his hand and claims he told the referee, who chose to allow the goal to stand.
    The Barcelona striker said: "The ball hit my hand, I will be honest. It was a handball, you can clearly see it. (Sebastien) Squillaci went to jump with two Irish players, I was behind him and the next thing I know the ball hit my hand.
    "It was a handball, but I'm not the ref. I told (the referee) but he said to me the same: 'You are not the ref.'"
    Ironically, if Platini's brainchild of having two extra assistants behind the goal, which the Frenchman is trialling in the Europa League, had been in action, Henry's handball would have been detected and the UEFA chief's countrymen prevented from progressing.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...up2010&cc=5901
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Keane and his team mates have every right to be upset. Saw Tony Cascarino on Sky Sports, he was turning purple because of the handball. Then I recall how the former Chelsea player dismissing the fact that MU was robbed at Stamford Bridge, mi just laff and hope Jangle see that this (in Tony's case) was poetic justice.

Now he is claiming how TH14 has tarnished his reputation .... HAHAHA ...REALLY? I hope when he scores at the WC he shows an under shirt with the words, "How's my reputation Tony?"
    Last edited by Lazie; November 19, 2009, 10:11 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

cascarino is irish no?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
        cascarino is irish no?
        Yeap!

Comment

Self righteous A-holes, I wonder how many of those same Irish pundits celebrated when Maradona boxed the ball in England's goal.
          How many of them in their playing days would run to the ref and say er...that shouldn't have been a goal I'm a cheat. Spare me the crap.
          Henry has won practically every medal there is to win (sadly one in particular with that crappy team in Spain) that is how i will remember him. This will be out of my mind in.... uh what were talking about again.

Comment

y'all are shameless conspirators to the crime! once a gunner, always a gunner, no matter how fetid the gutter within which they frolic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Why are all these Irish players venting at FIFA and UEFA, but not at Henry??

In fact, many of them seemed quite chummy with him at the end of the game, chatting calmly, etc. It's as if they're afraid to directly accuse the man most responsible for the incident.

As for Henry's admission, he only goes halfway in telling what happened when he says "The ball hit my hand", which makes it sound far more passive than it was. He should be saying "My hand hit the ball", because it was clearly intentional.
              "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
              - Xavi

Comment

Lol, what does this have to do with Arsenal?

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post

In fact, many of them seemed quite chummy with him at the end of the game, chatting calmly, etc. It's as if they're afraid to directly accuse the man most responsible for the incident.

As for Henry's admission, he only goes halfway in telling what happened when he says "The ball hit my hand", which makes it sound far more passive than it was. He should be saying "My hand hit the ball", because it was clearly intentional.
                  Because FIFA and UEFA backtracked on seeding teams when they saw that big name teams were finishing second in their groups.

Comment

Ireland needs to get over that -- the European playoffs for the last World Cup were seeded, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2006_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(UEFA_play-off)

But if it still bothers them then fine. However, they should stop beating around the bush and point a finger at Henry, too. He's the one most directly responsible for their exit.
                    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                    - Xavi

Comment

maybe because they, the players, know they would have done the same thing as Henry!

but fifa backtracked and should not have. they seem to do this much too regularly. makes one think that fairness is the least when it comes to fifa matters.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post

Even saw TH14 sitting with an Irish player on the field immediately after the match and like the player looking suitably depondent!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                        X