2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™

<SPAN class=art-title2>Parreira eyes promising Pattison</SPAN> <TABLE cellSpacing=5 cellPadding=5 width=150 align=right border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>
    </TD></TR><TR class=paddingall><TD vAlign=top> <SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Matty Pattison is hoping to get more time for Newcastle and earn a spot for South Africa in 2010 (photo courtesy of www.nufc.premiumtv.co.uk)
    </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(FIFA.com)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">27 Nov 2006</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>South African officials may be confident of staging a successful and memorable FIFA World Cup™ regardless of which countries impress, but they are also keenly aware that the success of their own national team will go a long to way to ensuring the 2010 party really goes off with a bang.

Previous tournaments have certainly proved that, for all the slick organisation and clockwork competence, there is no substitute for enthusiasm generated by the home side racking up a victory or two. This summer's finals in Germany were a prime example, with the tournament benefiting immensely from the tidal wave of support generated by the hosts' unexpected march to the semi-finals.

South Africa will do well to match that achievement, but they have at least displayed their determination to be competitive by recruiting Carlos Alberto Parreira as coach. The Brazilian's considerable task will be to rebuild and revive a side that failed to qualify for the 2006 FIFA World Cup finals and have slumped dramatically in the FIFA/Coca-Cola World Ranking over recent years.

To do so, Parreira will need to scour the globe for fresh South African talent, and many in the country are hoping that a 20-year-old from Newcastle, England might just prove the answer in one key position at least. Matty Pattison, might have played only a handful of games for Newcastle United, his English Premiership club, but already he has found himself identified for a possible star turn in 2010.<TABLE id=IMGTAB height=150 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width=150 align=left summary="" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR id=TRCAP><TD vAlign=bottom align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_normal>Three former FIFA World Cup winners meet in Berlin: Jorginho, Carlos Alberto Parreira and Dunga.</SPAN></TD></TR><TR id=TRSOURCE><TD align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold>(FIFA.com)</SPAN></TD></TR><TR id=TRAUTHOR><TD align=left><SPAN class=textblack11px_bold></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>A more prominent role
    A combative midfielder, Pattison was fast-tracked into the Newcastle first team at the end of last season, and just last month he featured in the Magpies' surprise UEFA Cup win away at high-flying Italian outfit Palermo. The 20-year-old then narrowly missed out on a first full cap as an unused squad member for South Africa's friendly defeat to African champions Egypt in a in London on 15 November, but he is expected to be back in the reckoning when Parreira takes charge of his first match in March 2007.

Pattison's family originated from the north east of England, but lived for two decades in Johannesburg, where Matty spent his childhood before leaving at the age of 11 when his family returned to Tyneside. He has since emerged through the ranks at the Newcastle United academy and, though also eligible to represent England at international level, he insists the call-up from South Africa represents "a dream come true".

"There are so many opportunities coming with South Africa hosting the 2010 World Cup," Pattison said. "To play for South Africa is a chance I will grab with both hands. I want to impress and hopefully become part of the squad fo
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>South Africa
    <SPAN class=art-title2>Mokoena expects great things from South Africa</SPAN>
    <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial,Helvetica,sans-serif">(AFP)</SPAN> <SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">16 Nov 2006</SPAN>

<SPAN class=art-text>South Africa captain Aaron Mokoena believes his country can make a big impact on and off the pitch when they host the 2010 FIFA World Cup.

Although South Africa were beaten 1-0 by Egypt in the Nelson Mandela Challenge Cup in London on Wednesday, Mokoena was encouraged by his side's determined display.

The versatile Blackburn star, who is equally at home in defence or midfield, is convinced Bafana Bafana have enough emerging talent, as well as experienced players like himself and Rovers team-mate Benni McCarthy, to hold their own against the world's best.

The appointment of Brazilian World Cup winner Carlos Alberto Parreira as coach from next year will provide valuable leadership to South Africa and Mokoena is already looking forward to playing his part in 2010.

He knows the opportunity to play in a FIFA World Cup on home turf is a once in a lifetime experience and, despite speculation that his country may struggle to cope with hosting arguably the biggest sports event in the world, he has no doubts the organisers will make it a success.

Mokoena said: "I'm certain we will be excellent hosts of the World Cup. When you look at the big sporting events we have held in rugby and cricket you can see we are capable of putting on a great tournament.

"There is a great determination to make sure we have one of the best World Cups of all-time.

"We have the desire to be successful as a team as well and I'm sure we will be able to make a good impression when the World Cup comes around."

Emad Moteab's early goal was enough for African Nations Cup winners Egypt to see off spirited South Africa at Brentford's Griffin Park.

But Mokoena is already looking ahead. He knows the team must concentrate on qualifying for the 2008 African Nations Cup because that will give them valuable tournament experience.

He said: "It is important we focus on getting to the African Nations Cup. It will be a great test for us as a team and as individuals.

"We are still finding our style of play and there are a lot of youngsters coming through and we have to show patience. We want these boys to be ready for 2010 and the Nations Cup can help us in that."

Mokoena has become a key player for English Premiership side Blackburn and, despite the club's hectic fixture schedule this season, he insists he was delighted to captain his country against Egypt.

"There is no way I would have missed this game. I always love to play for my country," he said.

"We've had a lot of matches this season with Europe, the League Cup and the Premiership. But I'm still a young man, I love to run around and play whenever I can.

"Egypt have some good players so it wasn't easy for us, but in the second half you saw what we are capable of.

"They probably deserved to win but we gave as good as we got."</SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

RE: 2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa™

Parriera was a good man for South Africa to bring in. A real task master he'll have them organized and ready for the World Cup in 4 years time. They may not be the prettiest team to watch but they will win games. - T.K.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Working...
      X