Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St. James FA: New administration, new challenge

New administration, new challenge

The annual general meeting (AGM) of the St. James FootbalAssociation in now history. Public health official Lennox Wallace has been replaced at the helm by new president, businessman Orville Powell, a top official of Seba United and a vice- president in Wallace administration.

Having carefully read the manifesto, Mr. Powell presented in the build-up to the AGM. I have every reason to believe that his intentions are honourable and that he is really sincere in his promise to help to recapture the glory days of St. James football, which existed under the administrations presided over by Wesmore Thomas in the '80s.

However, I do hope that Mr. Powell recognises that the job will not be an easy one, especially if he does not get the full cooperation of all the members of his executive. Having served on several boards over the past 20 years, I know that things can be quite rough when board members fail to pull their weight in the day-to-day management of the board's affairs.

It is no secret that there have been numerous instances in the recent history of St. James football where persons have got themselves on the board not because they want to serve, but because they want to benefit from the perks - free tickets to international games and leadership positions in the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) hierarchy - that comes with their positions.

While I know Mr. Powell is no rabbit when it comes to administration, I hope he quickly embraces the understanding that leadership is not a popularity contest and that success or failure could be dependent on taking hard decisions, especially in the instances where elected members try to circumvent the constitution to suit their personal interests.

As a member of the previous board, I know for a fact that much was achieved under Mr. Wallace's leadership, especially in the areas of youth football, securing sponsorship and improvements to our playing facilities. However, the administration did not realise its fullest potential because some board members operated like passengers for the two years.

Having seen the enthusiasm and drive that Mr. Powell used in reforming Seba United administratively, I do hope he will be able to duplicate that success as president of the St. James FA. In fact, I can't wait to see the introduction of things such as a proper football calendar and support programmes to measure the progress of the administration.

Because of the culture of St. James football, I do hope that Mr. Powell will be able to come up with creative strategies to help our two Wray & Nephew NPL teams - Wadadah FC and Seba United - to once again become potent forces in national football. It is no secret that the success of the NPL teams is the primary yard stick used to judge the parish's football.

One of the problems that plagued the previous administration was lack of confidentiality, which created continuous tension among board members. I would suggest that Mr. Powell move swiftly and decisively to stamp out 'news carrying' and plug leaks if such a problem arise with his team.

Because of my deep-seated love for St. James football, I would very much like to see Mr. Powell and his team succeed because their success could mean a new and more prosperous era in the parish's football. While I have no empirical evidence to support it, I do believe that when football is alive and well in St. James, the spirit of togetherness is much greater.

As a new era begins to unfold, I believe that every person who loves football should throw his or her support behind this team in the hope that it will be able to deliver on its promise. I would also urge the board members not to lose sight that they are the servants of the affiliates.

Source: Jamaica Star
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

RE: St. James FA: New administration, new challenge

Sickko: Could you post Powell's manifesto?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I did not get it via email and realy cant reproduce the entire eight page document but I did quote extensively from it in my preview of the AGM.

If you's like I can send you the Manifesto of the guy who is challneging Everton Tomlinson in Westmoreland tomorrow.
      Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
      Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (12/4/2006)
        If you's like I can send you the Manifesto of the guy who is challneging Everton Tomlinson in Westmoreland tomorrow.
        I would like! Via e-mail would be preferred delivery method.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
        X