Cunningham makes U.S. squad for Slovakia friendly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cunningham makes U.S. squad for Slovakia friendly

GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Marcus Hahnemann (Wolverhampton), Troy Perkins (Valerenga)
    DEFENDERS (9): Carlos Bocanegra (Rennes), Jonathan Bornstein (Chivas USA), Steve Cherundolo (Hannover), Jimmy Conrad (Kansas City Wizards), Clarence Goodson (IK Start), Frankie Hejduk (Columbus Crew), Chad Marshall (Columbus Crew), Heath Pearce (FC Dallas), Jonathan Spector (West Ham)
    MIDFIELDERS (6): Michael Bradley (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Clint Dempsey (Fulham), Benny Feilhaber (AGF Aarhus), Sacha Kljestan (Chivas USA), Dax McCarty (FC Dallas), Robbie Rogers (Columbus Crew)
    FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Hull City), Conor Casey (Colorado Rapids), Jeff Cunningham (FC Dallas), Eddie Johnson (Fulham)

http://www.ussoccer.com/News/Mens-Na...-Slovakia.aspx
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Excited for Jeff. I hope he plays well! Tough at his age though. Next year he'll be 34 and I don't see how he makes the squad in the end. I look at this as more a reward for his good work this season. The truth of the matter is that last WC go 'round was his time.

Zeppo I am really excited for the opportunity the US has to play a friendly (maybe 2) without Landon Donovan. I think no matter the results the experience of playing without him will help in the development of the group overall. He is such a big part of the team's success and the only true go-to guy on the team you wonder who steps up in his absence. I mean his play during qualifying was ridiculous. Simply awesome. It will be nice to see the character of the group without such an important player.

Loss of Gooch and Davies is massive as well.

Let me try and get in Bradley's head and predict the line-up....4-4-2.....

Forwards: Casey, Altidore

Mid: Bradley, Feilhaber, Dempsey, Rogers

Defenders: Bornstein, Bocanegra, Cherundolo, Conrad

GK: Guzan

Tell me where I am wrong Zeppo. - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Tell me where I am wrong Zeppo. - T.K.
      Would you say he is your hero, mentor or teacher??Maybe all rolled into one package??
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        Would you say he is your hero, mentor or teacher??Maybe all rolled into one package??
        LOL Don1...you is wicked brute you see!

"Tell me where I am wrong" is just another way of asking what his line up for the game would be. lol. - T.K.

Comment

T.K., first you need to switch Cherundolo and Conrad around. Also, Bradley will be in the center, not at outside mid. Feilhaber is likely to play at left mid, since that's where he's been playing with his club. I don't think we'll see Dempsey in the center either (although he can certainly play the position). More likely at right mid or forward.

I agree that this is a great chance to look at the team without Donovan. Him making the MLS playoffs was really a blessing in disguise.

And I think that Cunningham might have a better shot than you think. The loss of Davies has left the role of the speedy forward wide open, and lord knows EJ hasn't done anything in quite some time to show that he should have it.
          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
          - Xavi

Comment

Even at this old age he is the best striker in MLS
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

He's coming off a great season: 17 goals and 8 assists.

I'm glad to see him rewarded with a callup to the national team.
              - Xavi

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                T.K., first you need to switch Cherundolo and Conrad around. Also, Bradley will be in the center, not at outside mid. Feilhaber is likely to play at left mid, since that's where he's been playing with his club. I don't think we'll see Dempsey in the center either (although he can certainly play the position). More likely at right mid or forward.

I agree that this is a great chance to look at the team without Donovan. Him making the MLS playoffs was really a blessing in disguise.

And I think that Cunningham might have a better shot than you think. The loss of Davies has left the role of the speedy forward wide open, and lord knows EJ hasn't done anything in quite some time to show that he should have it.
                Actually Zeppo I did not specify where in mid or def a player would play. I was just stating the group of players in each line I thought would start not whether they would be left, right or center.

In saying that however I agree with what you say.

I guess Klejstan is the wildcard here. If he had been in the national team picture the last few months I would bet he and MB would be starting with Felihaber out left. But with him just returning from the wilderness will BB throw him in right away? Do you have a starting line up with an inexperienced Rogers in it when you're already missing performers like LD, OO and RC? Or do you go with the more experienced player in Klejstan who has been in big games before for the states??

The more I think about it with the US team a little bit unsettled due to injuries and MLS playoffs it will probably be a good move to give Sascha the start with MB in central mid. That way you can have a full compliment of quality seasoned experienced players across the midfield. Decisions...decisions...glad I am not coach. Much more fun to armchair quarterback. - T.K.

Comment

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post
                  Yeah I guess we'll see but off the top of my head I can't see anyone filling Davies role properly. I think the US will have to readjust how they play as there is no one in the player pool right now who can come close to replicating what he brings to the table for the team.

Cunningham could be the guy but you know at his age a year older is like dog years for a soccer player.

Then I look at a guy like Robbie Findley. He certainly is very fast and he has a really good work rate. The issue I see Findley having at the national level is that he lacks power and presence. If you watch his mls games when a body is put on him he folds. He is too easily muscled off the ball. Reminds me of Freddy in that regard.

EJ...I don't even know what to say about that guy. You know if he wasn't so damn lazy he'd probably be ok as an option off the bench for the US. If I have to watch another game of him jogging around clueless I am going to throw my tv into the pool. To be fair there is nothing wrong with giving him a look right now all things considered but he has to be one of my least favorite players ever for the US.

Cooper probably won't make final roster.

Casey I think with a couple more performances will make the final roster. He has alot of power and presence and generally his workrate is very good. (I'll give him a pass for his earlier games this year for the nats)

Altidore will be there.

Dempsey should be playing up top if you ask me.

Hmm.... you know what...I wonder if the US would be wise to just go with a single forward set up. Let me not start. - T.K.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
                    LOL Don1...you is wicked brute you see!

"Tell me where I am wrong" is just another way of asking what his line up for the game would be. lol. - T.K.
                    ok boss..yessss mi wikkid
                    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                    X