Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Young Gunners growing into world beaters

by: Nick Webster

Since the inception of the Premier League in 1992, only four teams have lifted the trophy — Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal and Blackburn.

Of those sides, how many were truly great?

Blackburn certainly weren't anything to write home about and you could say that their solitary title was bought and paid for.

Chelsea was brutally efficient but their twin titles came the same way as Blackburn's.

United could honestly say they had two great vintages, 1996 and 1999 while Arsenal will proudly point to the 2004 outfit.

If you know nothing about football, the history, players, great rivalries and just looked at records, you would probably say that the greatest team in Premier League history was that Gunners team.

The reasoning being is that they played 38, won the league by 11 points and went unbeaten in that season. The only other team to achieve this feat was Preston North End in 1889 when the league table consisted of 12 teams. They were nicknamed the 'Invincibles' — Arsenal inherited that name with ease.

A year later Arsenal won their last trophy of this decade, the FA Cup. Since that afternoon at the Millennium Stadium, Arsene Wenger, Arsenal's longest serving manager, has been telling us that his new Gunners would rule English football for years to come.

For five years that boast has seemed hollow, callow and deluded as one third and a bunch of fourth place finishes have marked the new Arsenal as also-rans. For sure they've always started the seasons strongly and been pleasing on the eye but eventually they've flattered to deceive.

Give Wenger credit though, because through all of this he has stayed on message. His mantra has been simple. His kids will eventually come good and to be fair, if you say something long, hard and often enough, it just may come true.

For sure this isn't the team of Thierry Henry, Patrick Vieira, Sol Campbell and Robert Pires but would you argue against the following.

Robin van Persie has the sweetest left foot since Liam Brady. Abou Diaby has Vieira plus goals flowing through his veins. Thomas Vermaelen is a better footballer than Campbell. Cesc Fabregas is the best thing since sliced bread.

Okay, Fabregas may not match up to sliced bread but on current form is there anyone better than him in his position in world football? The answer is no.

Fabregas is just one of two holdovers from the 'Invincibles' season, the other being Gael Clichy. Other than those two players, the current team is built from scratch. If you look at the likes of United and Chelsea, their squads look almost ancient compared to the youth and vigor of the North Londoners.

Yes, those two teams have won the last five titles and yes they will be there in May. They have experience and they know how to win and that is the key — knowing how to win.

This Arsenal team is just starting to learn that hardest of lessons. Once they know it, feel it, understand it, Wenger and his young charges will embark on a run that will rival that of his greatest rival, Sir Alex Ferguson.

On Saturday against Tottenham, the Gunners were not playing well. They were not playing that eye-catching Wenger football. However, they were also not in any discomfort. What they did display though, and what you rarely see from youth, is patience.

They waited for the mistake. It came. They punished.

That is a sign of maturity and a sign that perhaps, Wenger's team has finally arrived.

Without any international interruptions and a smooth progression in the UEFA Champions League, with key players returning from injury, I think the next four months will see Arsenal move through the gears and become one of the most potent forces in English football.

The Professor has that hunger again and this could yet be his greatest experiment ever.

Until then, I'll see you at the far post.
    Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

"Okay, Fabregas may not match up to sliced bread but on current form is there anyone better than him in his position in world football? The answer is no."

...ohhh gimme a break. Does Nick watch any league other than the EPL? Spurs' defense gave away 3 goals that were schoolboy like.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

so lazie I am not saying the writer is correct but like you I could not come up with a central mid that was better or can you? maybe his county man from barca but he does not score as much but may do some all round things better.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
        so lazie I am not saying the writer is correct but like you I could not come up with a central mid that was better or can you? maybe his county man from barca but he does not score as much but may do some all round things better.
        There is a reason why Frank Lampard scores so many goals each season. There is a certain player that was at Real Madrid I wanted Fergie to sign but he is now at Inter Milan. A certain Wesley Snieder. Of course, Xavi. Notice an orchestra, the conductor nuh need fi play any of the instruments. When yuh have Messi, Zlatan ..even yuh central defender Pique scoring ... all Xavi need to duh is be the conductor.

Yes, I do respect Fabregas, but please .....tek a step back. How many top teams Arsenal play already?
        "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
          There is a reason why Frank Lampard scores so many goals each season. There is a certain player that was at Real Madrid I wanted Fergie to sign but he is now at Inter Milan. A certain Wesley Snieder. Of course, Xavi. Notice an orchestra, the conductor nuh need fi play any of the instruments. When yuh have Messi, Zlatan ..even yuh central defender Pique scoring ... all Xavi need to duh is be the conductor.

Yes, I do respect Fabregas, but please .....tek a step back. How many top teams Arsenal play already?

Early season Lazie. Yuh ole bowy dem nuh tired yet!
          Jus wait nuh man?!
          Duh?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

the only name on that list is Xavi thats in the same league. What do you mean are you going back to the undefeTED team that cees was a part of ... what exactly are you asking... other than manu we played various top teams...

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
              the only name on that list is Xavi thats in the same league. What do you mean are you going back to the undefeTED team that cees was a part of ... what exactly are you asking... other than manu we played various top teams...
              Arsenal have only played the 2 Manchester teams and Spurs. Which other top team unuh play? Beating Liverpool in the Carling Cup nuh count ... futhermore Liverpool isn't a top team. (affi put that in fi X, and the comical twins ... )

Comment

We're definitely not a top team.... cannot deny the facts as they stand;

next topic: if Arsenal has played Manchesters and Spurs AND LIVERPOOL that's at least 40% of their matches against top teams. How many has your side played? I find you crying down Arsenal's record without basis.
                Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                  We're definitely not a top team.... cannot deny the facts as they stand;

next topic: if Arsenal has played Manchesters and Spurs AND LIVERPOOL that's at least 40% of their matches against top teams. How many has your side played? I find you crying down Arsenal's record without basis.
                  Manchester United has played against all the teams in the top 12 excepting Chelsea and Villa. For those who want to be smart, they cannot play themselves.

Comment

If there is a central midfield player in europe playing better than Fabregas at the moment he is not playing for one of the top teams in Italy,Spain,France or Germany.This youth is at the top of his game right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
                      Manchester United has played against all the teams in the top 12 excepting Chelsea and Villa. For those who want to be smart, they cannot play themselves.
                      ooohhh..suh ah guess the GUNNERS can play themselves ? Lazie get with the program nuh..
                      Sunday, August 28th, 2011. We will never forget !!

Comment

Originally posted by Twan View Post
                        ooohhh..suh ah guess the GUNNERS can play themselves ? Lazie get with the program nuh..
                        I implied no such thing.

Comment

Are you contradicting yourself?.. Liverpool you say is NOT a top team but you want to discount the Arsenal match against Liverpool and then you are very liberal in what you call a top team...the top twelve because ManU has played them??? last i checked Liverpool was still in the top six.
                          Maybe Lazieism is infectious because I do not comprehend ...and what is this nonsense you keep repeating about ManU cannot play themselves? no need to state the blatantly obvious...I don't think none a we dat stupid.
                          Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                            Are you contradicting yourself?.. Liverpool you say is NOT a top team but you want to discount the Arsenal match against Liverpool and then you are very liberal in what you call a top team...the top twelve because ManU has played them??? last i checked Liverpool was still in the top six.
                            Maybe Lazieism is infectious because I do not comprehend ...and what is this nonsense you keep repeating about ManU cannot play themselves? no need to state the blatantly obvious...I don't think none a we dat stupid.
                            The Liverpool comment was picking on the pool fans.

Comment

"Sticks and stones bredrin...sticks and stones but words etc etc"

Anyway, I will agree with you (I did a little checking) that of the top ten as of now, so out of a possible 9 teams, Arsenal has only played against three, won one and lost two. They have also played three of the bottom four teams. their other four are against middle of the table teams, 11th though to 14th inclusive.

You corrupted crew have played seven of a possible nine matches against the top ten and only one of the bottom four... so I understand the point you are making about Arsenal.

However, if it were only that simple seeing that the game isn't played on paper; the teams are a lot closer bunched than last year and one gets the feeling that the cliche that anything could happen is really the reality in the league now.
                              The other thing is momentum and form; Arsenal have really stamped their quality when they had to and I happen to think they are on a positive roll, in the same way my team is on a downward slide.

And good comeback by the Manurians tonight... I actually enjoyed the last ten minutes of that match; the Moscow gaffer like him was on a rocking chair...tension was way too much for him. and oh yes; yuh done know mi haffi mention the 4 minutes dat turn into six in de extra time....yes, yes, mi know, stoppage fi red cyaad etc etc..
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X