Burrell confirms intention to seek re-election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burrell confirms intention to seek re-election

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory></SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><DIV class=scrolling id=insideDiv style="PADDING-RIGHT: 21px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px"><DIV class=HTMLTitle><SPAN id=Ar0270000 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Burrell confirms intention to seek re-election </SPAN></DIV><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><DIV class=HTMLByline><SPAN id=Ar0270005 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">BY PAUL A REID Observer writer </SPAN><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"></DIV><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><DIV class=HTMLContent style="OVERFLOW: auto"><SPAN id=Ar0270001 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">NEGRIL, Westmoreland — Former president of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF), Captain Horace Burrell, has once again served notice that he will be back as head of Jamaica’s football. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Burrell, who was the guest speaker at Thursday night’s press launch of the Western Confederation Super League and Westmoreland Football Association’s Major League at Sandals Negril, said he had been asked the question repeatedly and wanted to make an official response. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">“I have decided I will make myself available to run for office and so whenever the JFF holds the election you can be assured that I will answer the call and I will be vying for office," Burrell told the audience. </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0270002 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"></SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">He added: “Because one would expect the election to be called by November next year, you can safely say that at your next function I will be making announcements as the president who has returned.” </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Thursday’s function, which was slated to start at 2:00 pm, did not get underway until after 7:30 pm as Burrell had missed his connecting flight in Miami after leaving California where he </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0270003 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">was commissioner for the recent CONCACAF Women's Gold Cup tournament. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">The starting time was switched to 5:00 pm but the event still did not get off in time but Burrell apologised for his lateness and said he was humbled by the attitude of those in attendance for waiting so long. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Burrell also announced marginal increases of $100,000 each in the sponsorship packages for both competitions. The Westmoreland Football Association’s Major League was increased from $1m to $1.1m while the Western Confederation Super League rose from $950,000 to $1,050,000. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">The winners of the Westmoreland competition will receive $100,000, the runner-up will get $60,000 while the third place team will get $40,000. </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0270004 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"></SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Burrell said the decision was taken by his board to continue the sponsorships, “given the tremendous benefits that we are getting from the sponsorship”. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">&
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.
Working...
X