• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grandma's Soccer League In South Africa

Grandma Soccer League Rocks South Africa
    • pCategories=pCategories ", weird-news"; Weird News
    2 Comments
    If you need a little inspiration to get to the gym, how about this -- 83-year-old great-grandmother Nora Makhubela says she could beat you in a foot race, and she's probably right. She's just one of 35 women on the Vakhegula soccer squad in South Africa.

The women of the Vekhegula soccer squad range in age from 40 to 80 years old, and initially the league was started by community worker Beke Ntsanwisi as a way for the women to exercise to improve their health.

Twice a week, they put on their soccer shoes and play matches against other teams in the squad often while wearing skirts and aprons. They're hoping that they might get to play a curtain-raiser before one of the first World Cup matches taking place in South Africa next June. National soccer authorities are considering the idea.

Says Makhubela, who has already suffered six strokes, "I pray every day to God to keep me alive until 2010. I would really love to watch the games."

nice!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
    X