Rooney "We are not the same without Ron"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rooney "We are not the same without Ron"

WAYNE ROONEY is still not happy Cristiano Ronaldo left Old Trafford last summer, claiming the Portuguese superstar is 'irreplaceable'.

The United striker has had to carry the burden of expectation now that Ronaldo plies his trade in Madrid rather than Manchester.

Rooney returns from a calf injury tomorrow to take on the old foe Liverpool at Anfield.

It is some game in which to make his 250th appearance for United in five years at the club. But he wishes he was still playing with Ronaldo by his side.

Birthday boy Rooney, 24 today, said: "I don't consider I was ever in Ronaldo's shadow but, no, I'm not happy he left the club and I don't think any of us are.

"I'd prefer him to still be in the team if I'm being honest.

"He's a brilliant player, irreplaceable, the best player in the world - so no one's happy he left."

Rooney says that, on the first day back for training after Ronaldo's departure, manager Alex Ferguson told him he had to up his goals rate.

The England star revealed: "The manager said he wanted me to score more goals - but then he tells me that every season. As the season goes on, if I am not scoring enough, he'll tell me I need to improve.

"And if I am scoring goals, he'll still tell me I need to improve. That's just how he is."

Rooney still keeps in touch with Ronaldo following his former team-mate's world record £80million move to the Bernabeu.

Some thought they would never speak again after the Portuguese international's part in Roo's red card in the 2006 World Cup quarter-finals.

But Rooney quickly patched things up with 'The Winker' and they went on to win three titles and the Champions League together.

Rooney added: "We still speak from time to time. He's enjoying his football in Madrid and obviously he's settled in well and is scoring goals. He sounds like he is loving it over there."

Despite Ronaldo's absence, Rooney is still happy with United's form this season.

They go to Anfield tomorrow top of the table and all but certain of qualification for the next stage of the Champions League.

Rooney said: "It's funny because as soon as we got beaten at Burnley, people came out saying 'we're not as good as last season, we won't win the title, we'll be lucky to finish in the top four' and all that.

"It was laughable, we'd only lost one game. But then they've done it the last three seasons when we've won the league - the next season they've been straight out saying Chelsea are the favourites. I think because of United's dominance over the last couple of decades, a lot of people like to see us lose. We just have to get on with it."

Advertisement

//Retrieve Blue Lithium & Bull frog Cookie Valuevar blueLithium = "No";blueLithium = get_cookie("BL")==null?"No":get_cookie("BL");var RStag = "";try{RStag = segQS;}catch(e){RStag = "";}document.write('');var ACE_AR = {Site: '751496', Size: '300250', Region: '2'};oz_sensor_filter="domain";Dim adsVB,poadsVB=0If ScriptEngineMajorVersion >=2 then adsVB=1Function adsAX(aX)on error resume nextIf adsVB=1 thenadsAX=Falseset po=CreateObject(aX)adsAX=IsObject(po)If (err) then adsAX=FalseElseadsAX=FalseEnd IfEnd Function

Rooney's return will be a major boost for United after he missed the midweek trip to Moscow which saw United beat CSKA 1-0 with a late Antonio Valencia winner.

Rooney said: "If I think someone can improve in a game I'll tell them, just as I expect they'll tell me if they think I'm not doing what I should or playing as well as I should.

"I think a bigger part of my game is trying to set an example by raising the tempo of the team.

"If things are a bit flat at Old Trafford, I'll chase about and try and get the crowd up a bit. Little things like that can make a massive difference."

Despite his seemingly fearless demeanour, Rooney will stand in the tunnel at Anfield tomorrow with nerves.

But he believes the butterflies in his tummy help him fix his attention on exactly what he is going to do.

Rooney admitted: "I get nervous before every game, be it against Barcelona or Andorra or whoever.

"But it's not like uncontrollable nerves. It's more just running scenarios through my head, like what would I do if this happens, what will I do if that happens.

"But then as soon as I'm out there playing, it's gone and you're just playing on your instincts."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/2697769/Roon-Were-not-same-without-Ron.html#ixzz0Us5BdOPP

Chelsea defender Ashley Cole admits that he misses playing against Cristiano Ronaldo.
    The 28-year-old left-back was famed for his tussles with the Portuguese attacking star, who moved from Manchester United to Real Madrid for a world-record fee of £80million during the summer.
    Cole tested his defensive abilities on a number of occasions against Ronaldo, for Chelsea and England, and he showed the winger an imaginary pocket in his shorts at Old Trafford.
    "I miss playing against Cristiano Ronaldo, I really do," he said in the News of the World.
    "Manchester United don't seem the same without him - he's the best player in the world.
    "I used to love our battles. If I'm concentrating, on my day I can do well against anyone, but he was something else.
    "I love his skills, but I nearly ripped my groin when I was first playing against him because he did a trick and I did the splits.
    "My mates were killing me after and I thought, 'Right, he's never embarrassing me again'.
    "A couple of years later at Chelsea I showed him the imaginary pocket in my shorts and their fans were lapping up the banter."
    Clash

With England having already qualified for next year's World Cup and Portugal preparing for play-off games against Bosnia-Herzegovina, the pair could yet meet during the South Africa tournament.
    And Cole admits that he is enjoying playing for his country again, after being booed by England fans when he misjudged a backpass against Kazakhstan last year.
    "Everyone makes mistakes, but I have always given 100 per cent for my country and have never let them down," he added. "I have made a few mistakes, but that was hard to take.
    "There were 90,000 people booing - you can't expect me to be happy. You'd have to ask them why they did it.
    "Now it's a different atmosphere. If the players stay fit we have a chance of winning the World Cup."

Comment

Working...
    X