• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Barnes facing taxing times

as Liverpool legend deals with bankruptcy

By Sportsmail Reporter Last updated at 1:44 PM on 21st October 2009
    Up against it: Barnes expects to bounce back

John Barnes insists his bankruptcy is due to an oversight which he is now dealing with.
    The former England winger was declared bankrupt by an insolvency court last week.
    But Barnes said: 'The bankruptcy issue is a tax oversight which is being dealt with.'
    It is understood that Barnes has been in touch with the Inland Revenue since the hearing to try to come to an agreement over unpaid taxes.
    Former Liverpool and England winger Barnes, who was sacked as boss of Tranmere earlier this month, was manager of the Jamaica national side last season.
    A spokesman for The Insolvency Service confirmed HM Revenue and Customs petitioned for the bankruptcy which was made in Liverpool last week.

He added that an official receiver had been appointed to work through the ex-Liverpool star's assets and the bankruptcy should be discharged on October 14, 2010.

Asked how much the football pundit owed, an HMRC spokesman said the department did not comment on individual cases.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1221905/John-Barnes-facing-taxing-times-Liverpool-legend-deals-bankruptcy.html#ixzz0UZiDXmP5

When it rains, it pours.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

No surprise at all, and if he did not have the TV gig, he might have had to move to the poor house years ago.

John Barnes -
    "I’m not a budgeter at all, because I never had to be when I was playing football, so I ran up lots of debts and credit card bills and got used to having debt.

"The hardest period is when you first finish playing because you still have some money left over from your football salary, but you can't keep spending at the same rate. A few years later when that runs out you really do have to adjust"
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

John Barnes declared bankrupt by a Liverpool insolvency court

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2...rpool-tranmere

John Barnes, the former Liverpool and England winger, has been declared bankrupt by a Liverpool insolvency court only days after he was fired as manager of Tranmere Rovers.

Barnes, 45, gave his occupation as a 'provider of media services, lately a footballer'. He was declared insolvent and will be discharged on 14 October, 2010.

The hearing took place five days after Barnes' dismissal from Prenton Park, where his side lost eight of the 11 games under his control. Barnes had quit as manager of Jamaica in May to take over at the League One club, who are local to him.

It was the culmination of an unhappy career in management for Barnes, who had a lucrative playing career, winning 79 England caps and twice winning the Footballer of the Year award. He was still at Watford when he was first capped for England and after his golden years at Liverpool he moved to Newcastle in 1997 and appeared for them as a late substitute in the 1998 FA Cup final, becoming one of a handful of players to appear for three clubs in the Wembley showpiece game.

After finishing his playing days at Charlton Barnes moved to Celtic in tandem with Kenny Dalglish and had a disastrous spell in charge, culminating with an infamous defeat by Inverness Caledonian Thistle in the Scottish Cup in February 2000. He then worked as a pundit for ITV and ended up with his own show, John Barnes Football Night, on Five on Thursday evenings.

Barnes did achieve relative success with Jamaica, taking them to first place in the 2008 Caribbean Championships, but lost the Tranmere job after a 5–0 defeat at Millwall. The team have since won under the caretaker, Les Parry, who has been able to call on Zoumana Bakayogo, a French left-back from PSG who has been man of the match in both his games and who was unable to play due to a delay over his international clearance. "I owe John a lot as he took a chance on me by signing me and I wanted to repay his faith," he said.

Comment

Working...
      X