X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two years late

Middlesbrough sack boss Southgate

Southgate has been in charge for three years

Middlesbrough boss Gareth Southgate has been sacked - with the club fourth in the table and bidding for promotion. His dismissal came in the early hours of Wednesday, just after Boro had secured a 2-0 home win over Derby.
    The 39-year-old Southgate was appointed Boro boss in June 2006, but last season he presided over the club's relegation from the Premier League.
    Boro chairman Steve Gibson said: "This has been the most difficult decision I've ever had to make in football."
    Former Crystal Palace boss Alan Smith, described by Boro as a "football consultant", has also left the club.
    Southgate, who won 57 caps for England, joined Boro as a player from Aston Villa in a £6.5m deal in summer 2001, and made more than 200 appearances for the club, before he succeeded Steve McClaren as the club's manager.
    "Gareth has given Boro magnificent service as a skipper and, in very difficult circumstances, as manager," added Gibson.
    "However the time is right for change and that change has had to be made."
    Prior to Tuesday's win, Boro had lost three successive home games, but their victory over Derby left them just one point behind leaders West Brom.
    Last edited by Tilla; October 20, 2009, 08:09 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

was he any better or worse than barnes? also, he went straight into managing a premiership side WITHOUT the requisite badges....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

probably little better than barnes

Comment

No better. Actually, I think he was one of the worse ever club manager. I always wondered what kind of DAMNING secret he had for the chairman why he wasn't fired earlier. He got an OVERextended run which was more than Barnes or Paul Ince.
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

i share that opinion. PLUS he had a badge exemption!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
          X