Baby Gunners don't cut it, ex-manager tells Wenger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baby Gunners don't cut it, ex-manager tells Wenger

<H2></H2><SPAN>First Published: Dec 01, 2006</SPAN> <DIV class=pictureCaption style="FLOAT: right; WIDTH: 245px">

Arsenal's French manager Arsene Wenger is seen here before a match against Bolton in Bolton, northwest England, November 25. Former Arsenal manager George Graham believes the Gunners sorely lack the kind of experience and leadership needed to win trophies.</DIV>

Former Arsenal manager George Graham believes the Gunners sorely lack the kind of experience and leadership needed to win trophies.

On the eve of the north London derby against Tottenham, the former Gunners player and boss claims the fans will not accept four years of failure.

During Arsene Wenger's ten-year spell at the club a number of big names have come and gone, including Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Patrick Vieira, Robert Pires and Dennis Bergkamp.

And Graham believes the fans, having seen the Gunners lost the Champions League final last season to Barcelona, may begin to lose patience with the Frenchman and his current crop of young stars.

He said: "When you've reached the heights that they've reached, the success they've had, the fans don't want success in two years' time. Last season reaching the (Champions League) final gave the fans something to hang on to.

"If they drift out of the FA Cup as well, they're not really challenging - and fans don't like it. Fans will not accept four years of failure."

He added: "He's (Wenger) trying to protect the young players. They all know they're under-performing.

"They have lost Ashley Cole, Sol Campbell, Lauren, Patrick Vieira, Edu, Robert Pires, Dennis Bergkamp. Don't try to tell me they're going to replace them with kids and get the same results.

"I don't think they lack hunger. They need a bit of leadership quality. I think you need three leaders. My back four were all winners.

"Thierry Henry is the club's talisman and only he can answer questions about himself. They looked up to Bergkamp; they looked up to Vieira and they miss that leadership quality."

Arsenal currently sit sixth in the Premiership 13 points behind Manchester United and 10 points behind Chelsea.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

RE: Baby Gunners don't cut it, ex-manager tells Wenger

Wenger should be fired

I hope we drop 6 tomorrow.

Comment

Hey Scaly, yuh nuh think Aaron Lennon should be playing in the Champion's League?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Why certainly Lazie and ofcourse with Spurs.

Why u a watch him so ? lef me balla alone no man...a me first buss him pon de site.....now u and Chel$ski waan buy and mek him a slave.

Learn to groom unhuh own.

Comment

Former Arsenal manager George Graham believes the Gunners sorely lack the kind of experience and leadership needed to win trophies.

Damn? George really has started to doubt Henry? Damn? Damn...again!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Scaly (12/1/2006)Wenger should be fired

I hope we drop 6 tomorrow.
            Spurs man...hole yuh carners! There is no Bobby Smith or Jimmy Greaves at Spurs! Do not let the one fluke win over the GUNNERS go to your head! :hehe:
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl (12/1/2006)Former Arsenal manager George Graham believes the Gunners sorely lack the kind of experience and leadership needed to win trophies.

Its just by the look of the table, Spur nuh must mek the CL next season. Manu need a winger. Assasin, Luton can play as a winger? Nuh want nuh man claim me only a look big name balla.

Comment

Lazie (12/1/2006)
                Karl (12/1/2006)Former Arsenal manager George Graham believes the Gunners sorely lack the kind of experience and leadership needed to win trophies.

Its just by the look of the table, Spur nuh must mek the CL next season. Manu need a winger. Assasin, Luton can play as a winger? Nuh want nuh man claim me only a look big name balla.
                Luton could spell GUNNERS Emmanuel Adebayor! Adebayor defers to Henry so much it isshameful. Adebayor has a powerful shot but hardly ever uses it...looking too often to pass to Henry.

...and, our other players too often force the ball, even at risk of losing possession and ignoring more favourable options, to 'di King'. I am telling you Henry is not playing to his full abilities much too often...and that includes not offering, by example...leadership! ...and, example of true TEAM leader includes...playing more TEAM...playing TEAM for 90 minutes of matches!

Comment

Nuh worry Karl! Him not playing against Spurs so you should win.

Comment

Lazie (12/1/2006)Nuh worry Karl! Him not playing against Spurs so you should win.
                    Remember this - ...and, win big!

Comment

Wenger - Why I disagree with George Graham

By Chris Harris

Arsène Wenger has responded to George Graham's claims that the current Arsenal squad lacks experience and leadership.

The former Arsenal manager blames his old club's poor run of results on the summer departure of established stars Dennis Bergkamp, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole and Robert Pires.

Wenger disagrees. The Frenchman explained why at his pre-match press conference on Friday afternoon.

"Frankly it's very difficult to say Dennis Bergkamp was in his prime at 37 years of age. Pires was 33, who else did we lose?

"Campbell wanted to go abroad, and Ashley Cole wanted to go to Chelsea - what can I do about it? I don't deny that we lost world-class players but I believe we have replaced them with world-class players.

"These players are very young. We made a choice when we built the stadium to build a new team and sometimes you struggle a little bit when you move into a new stadium.

"Sometimes it takes a little bit of time for the players to develop but I'm very confident they will be great players."

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...w-kit-0708.gif the wisdom and courage of my mind and the strength and vigour of my body", to enable them to enjoy a better life. I ask God's blessings on our nation. I ask for His guidance on the government that I will lead as we face the challenges of the future. I know that we can't even walk without Him holding our hands. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...aa20b58a33.gif

Comment

Hope Wenger know say if players want to leave, Van Persie and the ganga kid, Cess come guh a Manu.

Comment

Lazie (12/1/2006)Hope Wenger know say if players want to leave, Van Persie and the ganga kid, Cess come guh a Manu.
                          Badmine gwene kill yuh!

Comment

Karl (12/1/2006)
                            Lazie (12/1/2006)Nuh worry Karl! Him not playing against Spurs so you should win.
                            Remember this - ...and, win big!
                            Lazie: Is 3-0 a big enough win for you?

Comment

Working...
                            X