Cannavaro 'not guilty of doping'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannavaro 'not guilty of doping'

Juventus defender Fabio Cannavaro did not commit a doping offence, the Italian Olympic Committee's anti-doping prosecutor has said. The Italy skipper, 36, took a medicine containing banned substance cortisone after a wasp sting on 28 August and failed a dope test two days later.
    "The prosecutor asks for the Cannavaro case to be dropped," a statement from prosecutor Ettore Torri's office said.
    Cannavaro said officials had recognized his "good faith and correct conduct".
    Torri has a reputation for being uncompromising in the battle against doping, having charged sports personalities in the past even when they argued that their positive tests were the result of accidents.
    But with his office saying it could "exclude [the possibility] that Cannavaro is responsible" Torri will now recommend to an anti-doping tribunal that Cannavaro should not receive any sanction.
    However, the statement continued: "This office reserves the right to make further judgements in the future over other parties... which were responsible."

Cannavaro, who had requested an exemption after being treated for the sting but did not receive the documentation before he was tested, added on Juventus' website: "I didn't have any doubt [about the outcome].
    "I am sorry that a matter of this kind stirred up such a fuss.
    "My personal history and my career show my respect towards sports and the ethical principles which support it."
    Cannavaro is suspended for Italy's World Cup qualifier in Ireland on Saturday, when a point will be enough to put the holders through to the 2010 finals, but he is due to meet up with the squad on Sunday ahead of Wednesday's home game with Cyprus.
    "I have not spoken to Cannavaro," said Italy coach Marcelo Lippi. "But there was no need. Will he be here with us on Sunday? Of course."
    Team doctor Enrico Castellacci has defended Cannavaro's actions.
    "When he came to the national team, after the Roma game, he told us what had happened and he told us that without the medicine that contained cortisone he would have had a reaction, an anaphylactic shock," said Castellacci.
    "We asked Juventus for all the necessary documents regarding the medicine taken by Cannavaro and all the communication is in our possession."
    Cannavaro's team-mate Giorgio Chiellini stated: "It would be awful to make this out as a doping case when it isn't.
    "I was there when Fabio was stung by the wasp. His arm swelled up straight away. He is calm and so are we."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

This drug thing has gotten crazy...and I do not think it is yet at the height of the crazy levels I predicted it shall become.

memba a mi seh a foolishness...as man is always seeking faster, higher, better and longer life so what is needed is use of 'performance enhancing' products under/in controlled circumstances/environment. ...just lacka wen man sick im get performance enhancing drugs delivered in controlled environment fi mek im duh better i.e. return tuh faster, higher, better and longer live!

Re- instate Ben Johnson's record and all the others removed because of drug tests. Hell Flo Jo never tested positive... Carl Lewis claimed it was no big thing...

----------
    Women

1. 100 Meters

Florence Griffith-Joyner, USA, 10.49. When Griffith-Joyner set her record in the 100, at the U.S. Olympic trials in 1988, the track's wind meter showed that other runners received wind assistance. But the meter showed that Griffith-Joyner, nicknamed "Flo-Jo," received none, causing some to suggest that the meter was malfunctioning during the 100.

2. 200 Meters

Florence Griffith-Joyner, USA, 21.34. Griffith-Joyner set her mark at the 1988 Olympics. Her bulked-up physique led to accusations that she used performance-enhancing drugs. Griffith-Joyner always denied those allegations and never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs. Griffith-Joyner's retirement, just prior to the implementation of stricter drug tests in 1989, added to the speculation.

3. 400 Meters

Marita Koch, East Germany, 47.60. Like Florence Griffith-Joyner, 400 meter record-holder Marita Koch of East Germany never tested positive for performance-enhancing drugs, but she was suspected due to her country's since-revealed doping program. Koch retired prior to 1989, when stricter drug testing began. She set her mark in 1985 at the IAAF World Cup in Australia.

4. 800 Meters

Jarmila Kratochvilova of the Czech Republic (then still part of Czechoslovakia) set the 800 world record almost by accident. Her time of 1:53.28, set on July 26, 1983, is currently the longest-standing individual track and field record. She originally traveled to the Munich, Germany event only to tune up for the forthcoming world championships, and only to run in her specialty, the 400. She switched to the 800 after suffering leg cramps that, she felt, would make it difficult for her to run the shorter sprint race.

...and the men - Just look at the list 100M through 200M runners who set WR, and Gatlin who won at the Worlds...and were then banned and lost their records and where applicable, their medals?
    Last edited by Karl; October 12, 2009, 10:29 AM.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X