Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA beats Honduras and heads to South Africa 2010

United States tips Honduras for sixth consecutive World Cup berth

American players danced in the locker room and swigged some bubbly, With a thrilling victory on a hot and humid night in Central America, the U.S. soccer team earned a trip to South Africa and another chance to impress at the World Cup.

Conor Casey scored his first two international goals in the second half, Landon Donovan added another and the United States clinched its sixth straight World Cup berth with a game to spare by rallying to beat Honduras 3-2 on Saturday night.

"It never gets old, that's for sure," Donovan said. "After what most of us would say was a very disappointing 2006 World Cup, we now have a chance at redemption."

(continue)
    "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
    - Xavi

Originally posted by Zeppo View Post

United States tips Honduras for sixth consecutive World Cup berth

American players danced in the locker room and swigged some bubbly, With a thrilling victory on a hot and humid night in Central America, the U.S. soccer team earned a trip to South Africa and another chance to impress at the World Cup.

Conor Casey scored his first two international goals in the second half, Landon Donovan added another and the United States clinched its sixth straight World Cup berth with a game to spare by rallying to beat Honduras 3-2 on Saturday night.

"It never gets old, that's for sure," Donovan said. "After what most of us would say was a very disappointing 2006 World Cup, we now have a chance at redemption."

(continue)
    TSA!! TSA!! TSA!!
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

Congrats Zeppo! Awesome win by the States! S.A. here comes Sam's Army!

Conor Casey the one man wrecking crew who would have thunk it! You know it was funny as I was watching Davies and Casey work together it dawned on me how similar it was to the Casey-Cummings partnership at Colorado. Not that I can read BB's mind but I wonder if Casey's succes with Cummings in MLS had anything to do with him putting Casey and Davies together in this match. Davies and Cummings are very similar players. I am speculating in the absence of any facts of course. In any case I am just happy that he did not start Brian Ching. If he had done that I would have turned off my feed amd started breaking everything in my house. I never want to see Ching on the field for a US team ever again.

Oh btw...Donovan is pure quality. He was excellent last night. I am simply going to say it....he is the greatest US national team player in history. How he doesn't win another US player of the year award would be beyond me.

Thank god for Chinese internet streams. Justintv almost ruined my watching experience. - T.K.
        No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Thanks, T.K.! The win feels damn good! I was pretty nervous going into this one because Honduras had won all of their home games in the Hex. I didn't particularly like the idea of facing Argentina or Uruguay in the playoffs either!

I was anything but a Conor Casey fan, too. But Bob Bradley sure had the last laugh on that decision. I hadn't thought of the Cummings comparison with Davies, but you could very well be right. Very astute observation!

And yes, Donovan is the greatest player in U.S. team history. How could anyone possibly try to argue otherwise?
          - Xavi

Comment

Joy and relief as US looks ahead to 2010 World Cup

One by one, U.S. soccer players exited their celebration and came into the dark, narrow hallway outside the locker room of Estadio Olimpico Metropolitano.

They had qualified the United States for its sixth straight World Cup, rallying to beat Honduras 3-2 Saturday night in as thrilling a match as the U.S. has played in years. So they were filled with joy. They also were consumed with relief.

And immediately thoughts turned to an even tougher task—getting out of the first round in South Africa next summer and wiping out the sting of 2006’s disappointment.

(continue)
            - Xavi

Comment

Working...
            X