Something just crossed my mind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something just crossed my mind

a few months ago I decided to ask then national technical director Downswell why Shavar Thomas was not being used when it was obvious he could be an asset to the national team in an area we were so weak we had two players without brains playing there.

For years we argued and debated and conjectured as to why Shavar was not on the team and when i used my initiative when other football writers did not, no one accused me of promoting Shavar or taking money from him to write about him.

Now maybe one of the bright people here can explain to me how the Shavar article differed from the Dehring article.
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Something just crossed my mind

Why yuh soh hyper-sensitive iyah? Let it! You know seh Mexxx just a card yuh. Just navigate around the perceived accusation and mek we debate the topic amicably.

BTW, I too would vote for Dehring as JFF prez. In, fact any one of the three from DB&G would get my vote. What we missed here is the story that three very young men from Jamaica (Chris, Mark and the other bredrin) created a company that rose to the top in Jamaica. Great insights and managerial skills were at play. Kuddos to them.

Yow Sickko, no watch no face bredrin!
    "The contribution of forumites and others who visit shouldn’t be discounted, and offending people shouldn’t be the first thing on our minds. Most of us are educated and can do better." Mi bredrin Sass Jan. 29,2011

Comment

Sickko (11/30/2006)a few months ago I decided to ask then national technical director Downswell why Shavar Thomas was not being used when it was obvious he could be an asset to the national team in an area we were so weak we had two players without brains playing there.

For years we argued and debated and conjectured as to why Shavar was not on the team and when i used my initiative when other football writers did not, no one accused me of promoting Shavar or taking money from him to write about him.

Now maybe one of the bright people here can explain to me how the Shavar article differed from the Dehring article.
      Thin skin is a hell of a thing.

If you wanted to be technical though it is somewhat different.

Shavar was a already a member of the program and seen as the future for the program. It is only natural that a story should be done on why the future of the program is not involved in some way.

Dehring was not working in an administrative capacity in JA's football and he probably isn;t eligible to run for president.

With that said, having Dehring involved with football would definitely be a huge upgrade over Boxhill. Hopefully he gets involved.

Comment

Not being hyper sensitive at all just pointing out how we think at times when our agendas are not being followed.

And as a matter of fact, I was not even referring to Mexxx, I was thinking about how persons like Exile reacted and talking about my 'promoting' a candidate.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

sicko while I understand your point and I also know that as a journalist u have to always maintain 100% objectivity and keep every ounce of your credibilitythis boarddoes not always make concessions for that.

I have openly promoted Peter Moses as my candidate but it is not seen in the same light as you because you have far more power than I do when it comes to influencing others.

Knowing what I know of Mexx I dont think he was suggesting anything and just to let u know I agree that Derhing would be a good fit after Peter Moses ofcourse

just my 2 cents

Comment

Lay of it!! Never said you were 'promoting" anyone althjough maybe you were. I said what's all the "HYPE" about. I still think so. We must learn to have different opinions without taking it personal. Your statements "people like Exile" and earlier "you people" doesn't remind me of objectivity. But it's no big deal - give it a rest.

Hey, if the man wants to run, let him run, the power brokers will put who they want anyway...more jobs, contracts for the boys...the question is - why do we revere people in Jamaica just because they made some money? It's the promotion of this fickle materialistic attitude in Jamaica promoted by those who can influence the public sentiment have us where we are. It's not ALL about the money. Even my good friend Peter-R was espousing how good it would be to have someone "independently wealthy" running football in Jamaica. Takes us back to a time that we should not return - the classism, neo-colonialistic perspective. You know what - only the rich should vote....that was how it use to be...

Respect,

Exile.

Comment

...but, is it about only the wealthy? Is it not also about hearing of...having 2nd hand knowledge of 'good' managers?

It is not always true...but, we all 'jump' to the conclusion that seemingly successful business types have managed if not their lives,their businesses well and that perception leads us to assume they will manager other businesses - football is a business! - well!

Chris seems to have achieved some 'good' measure of success in the business world. It could also be considereda plusthat he participated in sports and loves sports.Right?
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Go take the pointed hat and go sit in a corner you clown, why are you bashing some one who is 'independently wealthy' taking the job, matter of fact who else can take it?

Do you have any idea what it takes on a personal level to commit to football at any stage at all, even the NPL level? Matter of fact I will go further, ask anyone here who have been involved at even the schoolboy level and they will tell you what it takes out of their pockets to ensure success.

But it should not come down to who has the deepest pockets, it should come down to who has the skills to get the JFF to earn more and stop begging.

Dont forget that when Burrell was there he had to keep digging into his own bank book to keep the JFF afloat and when he was voted out, the JFF owed him nearly $15m.

What Dehring would bring to the tables is a proven track record as an investment banker- does that mean anything to you?

You are going to a war with a watergun big man, way short of ammunition.

But in this case, Dehring brings a lot more to the table than his money, the man has been working for the last nine years organising the third largest sporting event in the world.

Name me three others who are available to run for the presidency of the JFF who can match those qualification?

Talk bout hype...

Time you started to use the brain that God gave you and stop the foolishness
                Che Guevara.

Comment

<DIV>I agree, Exile. </DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV>Relax, sickko. My agreement with Exile, doesn't mean that I disagree with you.</DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Remeber a phone conversation we had a few weeks ago about how some journalist based in the west had certain slants...

Now tell me isnt that down right out and out promotion and not for free either????

How come no body jump on that one?
                    Che Guevara.

Comment

Lawda gadda,

Mi a "espouse"? Exile, what yu talkin bout? You miss the point I was making about Football in in particular and politics in general (in the Caribbean).

We have too many people in politics and in high places who are in the position for what they can personally get out of it. Independent wealth is certainly not a criterion for high position but in our part of the world, corruption is rampant and in this case I make no apology for saying and believing that Dehring's personal wealth will remove one potential distraction from a person doing a good job in this particular situation. You brought up Warner and it is without doubt that without Football Warner would not have achieved the fortune he has... and he allegedly was still trying to milk the system during the recent World Cup.

I would bet any amount of money (well a few hundred $$) NOTHING of the sort would/will happen during the cricket WC with Dehring. What I am 99% certain is that we have in him a man of integrity when it comes to public funds.

Having said that, if you were to remove his wealth, I believe he would make a far better candidate than either of the other two, incumbent and ex-incumbent combined.

pr
                      Peter R

Comment

Thank you, Thank you, thank you, exile miss a lot of things but anyways--- take for example the new president of the St James FA, he has serious personal wealth and the talk already is that Burrell cant offer him no free trips and or pocket money to get his allegiance.

Juxtapose that against say Everton Tomlinson in Westmoreland, what does he do for a living, where does his money come from and dont forget he stole three t-shirts from the JFF offices.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Ok then, gwaan push yu candidate..I will retreat to where people are honest. Don't need the disrespect. Talk about journalistic hyperbole. The days when people quote newspaper as 'gospel' are long gone. Deal with it. Learn to respect those who disagree with fickle political arguments shrouded as sports writing.I have no bone with the man personally (nor you), just dealing with the faulty reasoning.

Exile - over and out.

Comment

Working...
                          X