RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Maradona calls up 35 yr old Ariel Ortega....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maradona calls up 35 yr old Ariel Ortega....

Diego Maradona Provides Ariel Ortega With Argentina Call-Up For Ghana Friendly

The inclusion of 'El Burrito' was the biggest surprise in Diego's squad...

25-Sep-2009 7:48:55 AM

Photo Gallery
    Zoom

Ariel Ortega - River Plate
    Related Links

Teams

Diego Maradona, the coach of the Argentine national team, announced the 19 players that will face Ghana in a friendly match at the Olimpico de Cordoba stadium next Wednesday.

For the match Maradona only selected those players who ply their trade in the Argentine first division, with Ariel Ortega and Martin Palermo the standouts.

Meanwhile, Maradona confirmed that on Friday he will announce the foreign-based players that will participate in Argentina's last two World Cup qualifiers against Peru and Uruguay.

"Nobody will tell me which players not to choose, I listen to everyone but the one who has the final say is me. Those who will be here, will be here, I won't give anymore details," affirmed Maradona.

Maradona told the press that he will remain as the coach of the national team until 2011, and reiterated that "here the one who decides everything is me."

'El Diez' was visibly more slim during the press conference, but although he lost some pounds he didn't lose any of his temperament.

"The last thing I will allow is someone to tell me what not to do, I didn't accept it when I was 15 years old and I definitely won't accept it now that I'm 48."

The 1986 World Cup winner insisted that the local-based players that will face Ghana "have great possibilities of playing against Peru and Uruguay."

Finally, Maradona stated that when he was in Europe he caught up with several players that will be in his squad, including Lionel Messi, Diego Milito and Gonzalo Higuain.

Argentina Squad for Ghana Friendly:

Goalkeepers

Diego Pozo (Colon de Santa Fe) and Cristian Campestrini (Arsenal)

Defenders

Matias Caruzzo (Argentinos), Ignacio Canuto (Argentinos), Rolando Schiavi (Newell's), Juan Manuel Insaurralde (Newell's), Cristian Villagra (River Plate), Clemente Rodriguez (Estudiantes) and Fabian Monzon (Boca Juniors)

Midfielders

Rodrigo Brana (Estudiantes), Enzo Perez (Estudiantes), Leonel Vangioni (Newell's), Federico Insua (Boca Juniors), Jesus Mendez (Rosario Central) and Mario Bolatti (Huracan)

Strikers

Gabriel Hauche (Argentinos), Martin Palermo (Boca Juniors), Ariel Ortega (River Plate), Esteban Fuertes (Colon de Santa Fe) and Luis Rodriguez (Atletico Tucuman)

Gregory Sica, Goal.com

Ariel Ortega was a great player in his time but I think at Ariel's age Maradona has got this one wrong. While he's at it, might as well call up Diego Simeone and Crespo.

Comment

haven't seen ortega play recently...question...did a 42 year old roger milla help or hinder cameroun?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
        Ariel Ortega was a great player in his time but I think at Ariel's age Maradona has got this one wrong. While he's at it, might as well call up Diego Simeone and Crespo.

I am praying Costa Rica win there next 2 games and USA plays Argentina
        for the playoff . Kasey Keller and the americans are so manipulative , I
        am just laughing cause I know it is possible .
        Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
        United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
        happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
        Probably forthcoming...

Comment

But mi think them have some a the best players inna the world already. What will Ortega add that Messi, Tevez, Mascherano and company can't add?

If that a dem savior, Argentina inna real trouble.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

well dem have all those players and still a struggle suh mek a change...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
              well dem have all those players and still a struggle suh mek a change...
              Maybe the players aren't the problem. Why Diego nuh get axed yet is beyond me. Maybe they'll wait until the realize they won't be in SA.
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                haven't seen ortega play recently...question...did a 42 year old roger milla help or hinder cameroun?
                Ortega is in good form at the moment but Maradona calling him up shows a sign of desperation for the remainder of WCQ.

Roger Miller from what ive read was apparently a super sub at his age. Ortega will more than likely be expected to play more mins.

Comment

of course it is a desperate move.....they are in dire straits...as lazie seh removing maradona is an option but they haven't done so ... so..

Comment

impossible wvbs...

MY TEAM will win the group.
                    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      impossible wvbs...

MY TEAM will win the group.
                      Lets look @ it ...
                      knowing USA wont be @ Honduras scenario 1 looks
                      more likely .

Mexico v EL Salvador , I give it to the mexicans ,15 points +3 =18
                      Honduras v USA , United States could get a point or a Honduras win .
                      Costa Rica v Trinidad & Tobago , I give it to CR ,12+3 = 15pts

Scenario 1

Mexico 18 pts
                      United States 17 pts
                      Costa Rica 15 pts
                      Honduras 14 pts
                      Note: Costa Rica are in striking distance of United States.
                      Scenario 2

Mexico 18pts
                      Honduras 16pts (better Goal Difference)
                      United States 16 pts
                      Costa Rica 15

Match Day 10
                      USA V COSTA RICA United states need to avoid defeat.
                      EL Salvador v Honduras
                      Trinidad/Tob v Mexico
                      United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
                      Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Originally posted by wbvs View Post

Scenario 1

Mexico 18 pts
                        United States 17 pts
                        Costa Rica 15 pts
                        Honduras 14 pts
                        Note: Costa Rica are in striking distance of United States.

If scenario 1 holds true lets go further ...

Match Day 10
                        Honduras in El salvador ... its going to be a Hondurian victory..
                        Mexico in Trinidad/Tob ...The current mexican coach is saying
                        TnT owes them 3 points from the lost in WCQ 2006,Mexico wins.
                        Costa Rica in USA , after a lousy victory vs TnT costa rica finds
                        revival energy , and gets over the USA .

Grand Scenario:

Mexico 21 pts
                        Costa Rica 18 pts
                        Honduras 17 pts (better Goal Difference)
                        USA 17 pts .
                        USA gets playoff with South America

hl weh yuh affi seh ?
                        Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Fool fool article..how come dem nuh mention Diego Madonna the World Cup winning captain, who scored a brilliant goal after a mesmerizing run against (Greece?) or that he is famous for the hand of God goal against England.

Dem need to start learning proper journalism from the Jamaican journalists
                          Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
                          Che Guevara.

Comment

well maybe Ortega can coach the team then
                            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

If you turn out to be right wvbs, i'll buy you a six pack of Stella Artois!
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X