Interesting observeration in the English game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting observeration in the English game

I was reading an article in the Sunday Times where Ray Clemens was talking about the lack of quality English players in the EPL which severly restricts the choices of coach Steve McLaren.

He said there were only 80 English players in the EPL of which he said 'only 40' or so were good enough to play for the national team.

Of that number at least two of their brightet prospects Theo Walcott and Nigel Reo-Coker will be playing ion the Europ Under 21 next year and might not be available for the senior team.

'Only 40' players to choose from, is that bad or good forum?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Interesting observeration in the English game

Um that is good. I hate to go Shatta on you Sickko but the English will eventually have to cave in and actually give their black players a fair shot at the team if they want to improve. You can't just ignore such a significant portion of your talent pool and then turn around and complain that the quality of english players are lacking. - T.K.
    No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

<DIV>My question would be, what does he consider "good enuff to play for the national team"?</DIV><DIV></DIV><DIV></DIV>

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Or you could pull a Cornwall College and find the conspiracy theory in this and say Clemens was trying to back FIFA pres SeppTIC Blatter in his call to limit the number of foreigners in the English game
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko, dem shot themselves in the foot. There is a new requirement that youth players must live 90 minutes from their home to the training ground, causing potential stars to be overlooked. What the clubs are doing instead is buy young overseas players or more established players.

As it is, that pool is too small for them to compete against the world powers. They need to rethink their strategy.

English will eventually have to cave in and actually give their black players a fair shot at the team
          Am I missing something somewhere? Which black player has been overlooked? Ask me a ask. England have Rio, Ca$hley Cole, Lennon, SWP, Bent, Defoe all vying for spots. Well except Rio. Wes Brown and Richarson were in the last squad even though they weren't start / playing for the first team and David Creme Hair James is the reserve keeper.

Who you think is being overlooked? As a matter of fact Micah Richards made his debut the other day. Suh, clear it up fi me.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Am I missing something somewhere? Which black player has been overlooked? Ask me a ask. England have Rio, Ca$hley Cole, Lennon, SWP, Bent, Defoe all vying for spots. Well except Rio. Wes Brown and Richarson were in the last squad even though they weren't start / playing for the first team and David Creme Hair James is the reserve keeper.

Who you think is being overlooked? As a matter of fact Micah Richards made his debut the other day. Suh, clear it up fi me.
            I think my exact words was to give them a fair shot which they have not done since I have been following the english national teams. Bent, Defoe, SWP are all players who have not been given fair shots at the England team.

They all have gotten caps but everytime we come up to a major competition it is amazing how these players all of a sudden are not good enough for the team even though they are performing week in and week out with their clubs. It is ridiculous.

Just this past world cup they made a conscious decision to take two forwards who were coming off of devastating injuries rather than take aDefoe or the top english goal scorer in the EPL Darren Bent. They did the same crap to Andy Cole and Ian Wright. Jenas had agreat year withTottenham....the Englishmid-field plays like crap the entireWorld Cupand he could not get on the field for one game. It is a farce. - T.K.

Comment

Not a fair chance? Forget SWP ... he got what he deserved. What Sven did wrong was take Theo Walcott ... a black player, instead of Bent or Defoe. England's best team then included a fit Rooney and Owen. Sven was hoping they would be ready for the WC, as a matter of fact all of England were hoping.

You mentioned Andy Cole. Scaly made an observation of Bent, which just happened to be true, was the same fault of Andy Cole. Both players needed too many chances in order to score.

Which player in the middle of the park Jenas could replace? Cho T.K. ... mi lose offa yuh. Shatta would now start mekup noise bout African rule the world rah rah rah.....
              "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Lazie (11/29/2006)Not a fair chance? Forget SWP ... he got what he deserved. What Sven did wrong was take Theo Walcott ... a black player, instead of Bent or Defoe. England's best team then included a fit Rooney and Owen. Sven was hoping they would be ready for the WC, as a matter of fact all of England were hoping.

You mentioned Andy Cole. Scaly made an observation of Bent, which just happened to be true, was the same fault of Andy Cole. Both players needed too many chances in order to score.

Which player in the middle of the park Jenas could replace? Cho T.K. ... mi lose offa yuh. Shatta would now start mekup noise bout African rule the world rah rah rah.....
                Allright you can lose offa mi but I will say it is my opinion that they do not give the black players a legitimate shot at the team.

Who was Owen or Rooney outplaying at the time the England team was picked Lazie? As a matter of a fact use the entire 05/06 season.Were they outplaying Defoe? Bent?Tell me which one. Then you add the injury on top of it these things make you scratch your head.

Then I ask the question....would they do this to those players if they were white? Most times I would come up with the answer yes but in this casemy gut is telling me no. I have never seen them doit with Shearer, Owen,Lineker, Gazza, Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard, Hargreavesetc.,etc.,

As for Jenas....he could have and should have been the first central mid-fielder off the bench for England. How he did not play one single solitary match during the WC is beyond me based on how he played last season. Hargreaves wasn't even starting for Bayern Munich last season but he got to play. I ask the question why and to this day I can't figure it out. While I'll stop short of calling it racism I will say some questions should be answered. We'll see if your guy Mclaren once Euro 2008 comes around will revert back to the ways of previous english managers or really lead theteam to a new age.- T.K.

Comment

Was there an uproar when Simoes carried Tatty Brown and Linval Dixon to France? Afterall both players couldn't play part due to their injuries. Sven carried his 2 strikers that got them to the world cup, hoping they'd have recovered in time. They took a gamble and lost. I cannot see it as not giving others a chance. What people should be up in arms bout is that Walcott went to Germany without EPL experience ahead of Defoe and Bent.

When I watched England LIVE Carrick was used as the defensive mid, not Jenas. Lest you forget, Carrick and Jenas played at Spurs, Jenas was used in a more attacking role. Now how you gonna jump to the conclusion that Jenas should play there at the WC?

Isn't it strange you should say that about Hargreaves yet the fans said he was their best performer at the WC?

Comment

Lazie (11/29/2006)Was there an uproar when Simoes carried Tatty Brown and Linval Dixon to France? Afterall both players couldn't play part due to their injuries. Sven carried his 2 strikers that got them to the world cup, hoping they'd have recovered in time. They took a gamble and lost. I cannot see it as not giving others a chance. What people should be up in arms bout is that Walcott went to Germany without EPL experience ahead of Defoe and Bent.

When I watched England LIVE Carrick was used as the defensive mid, not Jenas. Lest you forget, Carrick and Jenas played at Spurs, Jenas was used in a more attacking role. Now how you gonna jump to the conclusion that Jenas should play there at the WC?

Isn't it strange you should say that about Hargreaves yet the fans said he was their best performer at the WC?
                    Bringing Walcott was a fraud as well. Bring Owen if you have to but to bring Rooney along was a crap move. Rooney had not done squat for the English national team since 2004 but yet Bent and Defoe were not good enough to unseat him coming off of a devastating knee injury? It puzzles me to no end Lazie. I try to finda reason and I can't fathom it. Bent the leading scorer in the EPL. You claim he needs too many chances to score yet Rooney doesn't? Intriguing.

In regards to Jenas, Hargreaves played 4 out of the 5 matches. Again I contend somewhere Jenas should have had the opportunity to perform. The English mid-field was stagnant all tournament. How is it that he could not get a 15 minutes somewhere during the tournament? I don't know. I will respectfully disagree with you on this one Lazie.- T.K.

Comment

Whew! Last season Bent scored 22 goals, Rooney scored 19. Bent was the main striker for his club, Ruud, then Saha was the main striker, especially when Fergie used the 4-5-1.

Rooney may not have been scoring, but he has created a few goals. We can talk after the fact and say Rooney should not have gone, then Sven and England wanted their best players.

If Jenas should replace anybody, wouldn't it be Lampard? I guess they were waiting for Lampard to get going ,..... and he didn't.

Anyway, as I said in my original post, the FA shot themselves in the foot.

Comment

What you say, Professor Rene made mistake by carrying two players who would not be able to play? Are you even insinuating that the greatest coach ever to come out of Brazil can make mistakes?

Wait till Jawge come from from the shop, him gone pick up some Roberts Fruit Punch.
                        Che Guevara.

Comment

Tatty Brown a my baller. When people can question Tappa and Pepe ... I'll allow no questions about the best center half from concacaf.

Both players couldn't make a contribution, therefore Simoes, the greatest coach we ever have, made a mistake in bringing them. Same way players like Messam went to France, both players could have got via that route, freeing up 2 spaces for 2 fit players.

Lazie nuh fraid a Jawge .... he provides good laughter.

Comment

not sure how that rules hurts england though it may hurt the big clubs. It means if a player lives close to White Hart lane he is playing for spurs and Manu cant recrutit him.

Comment

It prevents potential stars from going into a better academy.

Comment

Working...
                              X