Assassin and Me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Assassin and Me

Hey guys I remember you two having a really good debate regarding the reserve league in MLS. I thought that you both would find this article pretty interesting. - T.K.

Canales Daily: Lack Of Reserve League Taking A U20 Toll

The progress of young players in Major League Soccer has been stunted by the demise of the reserve league, and the U20 player pool is paying the price.

Photo Gallery
    Zoom

USA: Thomas Rongen, coach United States Under-20s
    Related Links

TeamsBy Andrea Canales

Back in 2007, a developmental milestone seemed to have been reached with respect to Major League Soccer's contribution to the U.S. soccer federation's progress. More than half of the 21 players named to the 2007 United States' U-20 World Cup roster came from the ranks of MLS. There were 11 in all based in the domestic league. Three more players were professionals with other teams overseas, making pro players a clear majority on the squad.

For a country with a long tradition of amateur athletic programs, this reduction in representation from the college ranks was no mean feat. It signaled a clear movement in the United States more in line with the programs that produce top players in the game from around the world, where young talents are put into club environments at an early age.

Though the 2007 squad didn't make it past the quarterfinal stage, they racked up some impressive scalps along the way, including a memorable group-stage win over Brazil. More importantly, the players that moved on from that roster to earn U.S. senior national team caps comprised a solid group, among them Robbie Rogers, Michael Bradley, Jozy Altidore and Freddy Adu.

Freddy Adu | Adu will not take part in U20 tourney

The last two are both still eligible for another U-20 go-round, but are working to establish their professional careers abroad instead via loan deals.

Their absence is not the most crippling blow to the current U-20 squad, but the loss of a key element that helped foster both players could be.

The demise of the MLS reserve league is finally coming home to roost in the weakness of the professional player pool for the U-20 team.

Though some MLS coaches (notably former U.S. national team coach Bruce Arena, who complained recently about the difficulty of bringing back recovering players like Edson Buddle to game speed without reserve league games to help the process) have waxed nostalgic for the reserve program for some time, it's important to realize that the whole venture was in many ways a complete disaster.

First instituted in 2005 and killed off at the end of the '08 season, the MLS reserve league was underfunded, badly organized and capricious with its rules. Publicity-wise, it hurt the league to have the painfully low salaries of the bottom-tier developmental players publicized, although many were still eager to work other jobs in return for getting a shot at a professional career. Guest players were often signed at the last minute to field complete teams, with some clubs pressing administrative staff into service. The reserve games never made any money as most of the matches were free to the public.

Pretty much the only thing that could be worse than the MLS reserve league would be to have none at all.

Of course, that's the direction the short-sighted MLS leaders took. On the surface, it was a smart cost-cutting move that streamlined the league. Beneath that money-centric shallowness, however, the entire premise of MLS -- to develop the game in North America -- was being undercut in a cynical gesture.

Altidore began his professional career for the New York Red Bulls scoring in reserve league games before he had his driver's license. That gained the attention of then-coach Arena, who moved the young striker up to first-team minutes. It's arguable that the most successful sale the league ever had abroad (Altidore's transfer to Villarreal at $10 million dollars) would never have happened if not for the reserve league.

In contrast to two short years ago, only seven players from MLS are now on the U-20 roster for Thomas Rongen. The U-20 coach, who was once a constant presence at reserve league games, instead treks today to college matches, though the NCAA season has just barely started. With more liberal substitution rules, university players are rarely as fit as those who play full 90-minute games on a regular basis.

The main problem is that the young players who are U-20 eligible now barely feature for MLS teams. Though 2007 goalkeeper Chris Seitz was a backup on his MLS team, in reserve games he was the regular starter and faced a variety of quality strikers from other teams, keeping him game-sharp. FC Dallas' Josh Lambo, meanwhile, mostly faces his own teammates in practice. It's no wonder, then, that the No. 1 U.S. U-20 in the nets will be UCLA's Brian Perk in 2009.

Brian Perk | The U20 starter is a veteran of the previous U20 World Cup

None of the U-20 MLS players is a regular starter for their club team. It's a telling statistic which reflects that the lack of reserve games not only hurts the U-20 roster, but also the MLS teams who carry these young players on their rosters, yet cannot count on them to contribute because of their lack of experience.

More than any other coach, Rongen must feel keenly the contrast between the options available to him in 2007, when the reserve league was in full force and young MLS players had chances to compete regularly in a flawed, but still fundamentally important step to improvement.

If Rongen and his current USA U-20 squad are able to replicate the quarterfinal finish of 2007, it would be a near-miracle. Yet even if a good run results from the tournament, the ultimate goal of any youth team is to find players who can contribute on the next level. None of the current U-20 players have a national team cap or even training camp experience on the senior level. While senior team coach Bob Bradley may be watching the U-20 World Cup for a breakout performance, he may then be seeing some of the players in action for the first time.

After all, it's not as if he can attend a reserve league game to watch them play.

Andrea Canales is Chief Editor of Goal.com North America
    No need to thank me forumites.

Nuh that me(assasin) a tell Me(him)

look at this year college draft, it is a very good crop so the reserve league would have helped a few more to make it onto MLS rosters.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Nuh that me(assasin) a tell Me(him)

look at this year college draft, it is a very good crop so the reserve league would have helped a few more to make it onto MLS rosters.
      Sorry I can't spell. Assasin not assassin.

You know it never crossed my mind really of why this current group of U20's was so weak compared to the teams of the past. At least I never put much thought into the reasons. I just knew that there were no legit players on this team. Canales did a nice job of connecting the dots.

It is amazing how immediate the effect of losing the reserve league in MLS has had on the U20's. It will be really interesting to see what the next version of the U23's looks like as well. It can't be a positive thing when you're shrinking the pool of professionals to pull from.

When it is all said and done though MLS has a responsibility to itself and not U20's or U23's. To be honest I am not sure how much money they are really saving by getting rid of the reserve division but if it is liability then they really don't have a choice but to axe it.- T.K.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post

First instituted in 2005 and killed off at the end of the '08 season, the MLS reserve league was underfunded, badly organized and capricious with its rules. Publicity-wise, it hurt the league to have the painfully low salaries of the bottom-tier developmental players publicized, although many were still eager to work other jobs in return for getting a shot at a professional career. Guest players were often signed at the last minute to field complete teams, with some clubs pressing administrative staff into service. The reserve games never made any money as most of the matches were free to the public.

The Under 20 team was strong before the reserve league. Anyone who saw the quality of the reserve league (TK you have) knows that thing was one of the poorest organized things on earth and I am not even sure if you could say that helped a soul. If they were going to keep it how it was, it would not help at all. If they don't like the Under 20 crop, there is no way that can be attributed to a league that was cancelled in 08. Better them try again with that.

Comment

08 is last year.
          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

That is my point. That just happened last year. The reserve league did no better for the under 20 than before it was in place.

Comment

It was. You have any idea what one year of development can do for a 19 year old and the opppurtunity it took away?

Comment

The under 20s were no better because of the reserve league. That reserve league was a lower level that the College/Club ball that those kids were playing before it started.

Comment

I guess your opinion are facts? I beg to differ.

Comment

No, I saw the league and know a few players who played in it and I can't even share some of their stories about the level of disorganization associated with it.

Yes it is my opinion, not a fact. Saying opinion are facts is your style . Since we will continue to have different opinions on it, there is probably nothing more for us to debate on this topic.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                      The Under 20 team was strong before the reserve league. Anyone who saw the quality of the reserve league (TK you have) knows that thing was one of the poorest organized things on earth and I am not even sure if you could say that helped a soul. If they were going to keep it how it was, it would not help at all. If they don't like the Under 20 crop, there is no way that can be attributed to a league that was cancelled in 08. Better them try again with that.
                      You are absolutely correct Me. The reserve league was poorly organized. I guess the real question is would a player like Altidore have been identified if not for the opportunity given him in the reserves. No real way to know the answer to the question as we can't prove something that didn't happen. As well is a player better off playing a year or two of NCAA ball vs. playing at the end of the bench of an MLS team or starting in a 2nd team match? Hard to answer again. After watching a game where a U of MD team featuring Robbie Rogers beat DC United's reserve team 2-0 it could be argued that playing for a top 25 college program prepares a player better.

You also bring up another good point and that is the quality of the U20's prior. Many believe, as do I, that the 03 U20 team was the strongest ever put together by the US. There was no reserve league then. Players like Bobby Convey, Eddie Johnson, Eddie Gaven, Freddy Adu etc. were identified.

I have to admit I did enjoy watching DC United's reserve games. Then again I am freak I enjoy watching most any ball. We had a nice little venue in Bricktop's backyard of Germantown to watch the games. However once Freddy stopped playing for the reserves it really was unbearable to watch.

I still think if MLS can do it properly and get the organization right it would be a benifit to groups like the U20's. I always think the bigger the player pool the better for everyone. - T.K.

Comment

Nobody is debating that the league was bad, however it gave young players and second tier college players a chance to prove themselves and establish themselves. Instead now they draft a player and cut them within a week or two.

Would Altidore, and Damani Ralph get a chance if there were no second team and additional roster space?

"I still think if MLS can do it properly and get the organization right it would be a benifit to groups like the U20's. I always think the bigger the player pool the better for everyone."

That is my point, improve it, don't cut it. After all this is America, not Jamaica.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                          Nobody is debating that the league was bad, however it gave young players and second tier college players a chance to prove themselves and establish themselves. Instead now they draft a player and cut them within a week or two.

Would Altidore, and Damani Ralph get a chance if there were no second team and additional roster space?

"I still think if MLS can do it properly and get the organization right it would be a benifit to groups like the U20's. I always think the bigger the player pool the better for everyone."

That is my point, improve it, don't cut it. After all this is America, not Jamaica.
                          This is only my opinion but one person who I think the reserve league really helped in establishing themselves in MLS was Omar Cummings. With the bizzaro MLS rules on player designations at the time I don't think he would have made the Colorado Rapids roster at the end of the day. His first year in the league the vast majority of his appearances happened in reserve league. - T.K.

Comment

It also helped Altidore because I can remember my friend who work with Metro academy at the time telling me about this Haitian youth, long before he made the first team roster. Would he have gone to a good D1 college? I doubt that very much. It helped a lot of people, eg Eddie Gavin. Is there even a project 40 anymore?

Comment

Working...
                            X