X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quota rule riles Wenger & Benitez

Quota rule riles Wenger & Benitez

Wenger and Benitez have acquired a wealth of talent from around the world

Arsene Wenger and Rafael Benitez have spoken out at the proposed new restrictions on "home-grown" players. Next season top-flight clubs must name at least eight players in a 25-man squad that are under 21 and have been trained in England or Wales.
    "I am against it," said Arsenal manager Wenger. "To accept competition - and we live for competition - it is not to accept artificial rules."
    Liverpool boss Benitez is worried the league's 'quality' will be compromised.
    Representatives from the 20 clubs met last week to discuss the proposals before Premier League chief Richard Scudamore announced their approval on Tuesday.
    Scudamore believes the quota scheme will "encourage youth development", giving clubs an "extra incentive to develop players, and to make a better return from their youth investment".
    In agreeing to the player quota from the beginning of the 2010-11 season, Premier League clubs have been guided by Uefa's interest in the development of young players.
    606: DEBATE

What do you make of the new Premier League player quotas?

Under Wenger, Arsenal have nurtured young talent from around the world, including players like current skipper Cesc Fabregas, while also developing home-grown stars like Jack Wilshere.
    "I feel that when you want to see the best players in the best league in the world, you have to be open," added Wenger.
    "I am not in favour of it, and I said that many times."
    In a recent report, English clubs were shown to employ the highest proportion of expatriate players, with 59.2% coming from abroad.
    Liverpool have the highest percentage in Europe of expatriate players within their squad - with 90% - and only just manage to meet the current Champions League criteria of eight home-grown players in a 28-man squad.
    And Benitez fears the new domestic quota has been introduced too soon.
    "The problem in England is that there is a big gap between the academies and the first team, the reserve league is not filling this gap," said Benitez.

Scudamore announces new squad regulations for Premier League clubs

"It may now be difficult to maintain quality, but we will continue to do our best. The number of players is not the point, the quality is the point. But if they have decided this maybe they have been thinking about this rule for a long time."
    The Spaniard contrasted the Premier League initiative with Uefa's decision to gradually introduce a quota system for the Champions League over three years
    "Now it will be different, and quicker. It all depends on the players. Not the amount, more the quality," added Benitez.
    "If a top side has to find eight players from the academy straight away, it may well be difficult.
    "Academies do not produce too many in England, home-grown players tend to play in the lower divisions because they may not be good enough for the very top.
    "Clubs have to bring in the best young players from around the world at a young age to produce the quality and we have been expecting some sort of rule change like this.
    "People talk too much about the age of players and where they are from. They forget about quality. The Premier League is the best league in the world because of the quality, not because of where the players come from."
    While Scudamore admits this ruling will not prevent clubs from recruiting young players from abroad, it will work towards reducing squad sizes and allow greater opportunities for young players to advance.
    Under the new measures, clubs will be able to boost their squads beyond the 25 limit but only by players under the age of 21.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Scudamore believes the quota scheme will "encourage youth development", giving clubs an "extra incentive to develop players, and to make a better return from their youth investment".

i think differently, it will not encourage quality because the youth will will feel a sense of entitlement. less competition as i see it.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post

i think differently, it will not encourage quality because the youth will will feel a sense of entitlement. less competition as i see it.
      Gamma, stop making sense; you are beginning to frighten me. The English national team have gotten better since foreigners have come into the league, so all a quota system will do is make the league (and England) weaker.
      "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Working...
      X