Top Ten: Controversial goal celebrations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Ten: Controversial goal celebrations

Apparently Emmanuel Adebayor celebrated his goal for Manchester City against Arsenal in a somewhat inflammatory manner. Can’t say we noticed. I mean, you’d think it would have received more coverage. Like the following did…

1. David Norris – The Ipswich midfielder celebrated his winner against Blackpool last season by crossing his hands, as if they were handcuffed, as an apparent gesture of support for Luke McCormick, his friend and former teammate who had just been jailed for a drink-driving incident in which two young boys were killed.

2. Tim Cahill
    – Earlier that year, the Everton midfielder celebrated his goal against Portsmouth with a similar gesture, aimed at his brother, Sean, who had been jailed for six years for an assault at a Bromley taxi rank which left his victim partially blinded.

3. Paul Gascoigne – After scoring that wonder goal against Scotland in Euro 96, Gazza lay flat on the turf as his England teammates squirted Lucozade into his mouth in a recreation of the ‘dentist chair’ method of consuming alcohol, which gained notoriety when members of the England squad were pictured doing it on a night out prior to the tournament. Gazza found himself in hot water again two years later when he celebrated a goal for Rangers against Celtic by pretending to play the flute, a Loyalist symbol, in front of the traditionally Catholic Celtic supporters.

4. Paulo Di Canio
    – The maverick Italian, once of Celtic, Sheffield Wednesday, West Ham and Charlton, made a fascist salute after his Lazio side had beaten local rivals Roma 3-1 in 2005. Di Canio went on to do it twice more, and defended the gesture by saying that it was not intended as a political statement, despite the widely-known existence of a fascist element (albeit a minority) amongst the Lazio support. "Poor lad," said the Italian Telecommunications Minister and Roma supporter Maurizio Gasparri. "Like all Lazio supporters, he is just not used to winning."

5. Robbie Fowler – Celebrating a goal for Liverpool against Everton in 1999, Robbie Fowler responded to some of the opposition supporters labelling him a “smackhead” by getting down on his knees and pretending to snort the touchline. These actions were dismissed by then manager Gerard Houllier as Fowler pretending to “eat the grass”, which he claimed his striker had learned from Rigobert Song. Two years earlier, Fowler was fined 2,000 Swiss Francs for revealing a t-shirt pledging support for the 500 sacked Liverpool dockers after scoring against Brann Bergen in the European Cup Winners’ Cup. And then, in 2004, he taunted Evertonians again after scoring a header for Manchester City at Goodison Park, this time running along the side of the pitch literally smacking the top of his head.

6. Gary Neville – The Manchester United and England right-back, immortalised in chant for supposedly “hating Scousers”, celebrated a late Rio Ferdinand winner against Liverpool in 2006 by grabbing his shirt and gesticulating at Liverpool supporters. "You are caught up in the moment and for a few seconds you can go bananas," said Neville. "What are you meant to do? Smile sweetly and jog back to the halfway line? I have to put up with Liverpool fans singing plenty of songs about me - none of them tasteful - and I struggle to believe that I have caused them any grave offence with an exuberant celebration. Increasingly people seem to want their footballers to be whiter than white and there are calls for sanctions over every little incident. Do they want a game of robots?"

7. Paul Tait – After scoring the extra-time header that won the 1995 Auto Windscreens Shield for Birmingham City against Carlisle United, Tait wrote himself into Wembley folklore by revealing a t-shirt that read “Sh*t on the Villa”. He was fined two weeks’ wages.

8. Graeme Souness – While manager of Galatasaray in 1996, the former Liverpool, Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle boss celebrated his side’s victory over bitter rivals Fenerbahce in the second leg of the Turkish Cup Final – which was played at Fenerbahce’s stadium – by running onto the pitch and planting a huge Galatasaray flag in the centre circle. Needless to say, this didn’t go down too well with the home fans. "It was after I’d had heart surgery and, not long after I got there, one of the Fenerbahçe directors said in the papers, ‘What are they doing employing a cripple?’" explained Souness. "It wasn’t premeditated but I was handed a huge Galatasaray flag and, as I was running along, I happened to see that director in the stands. I thought, ‘I’ll show you who’s a cripple.’ "

9. Paul Merson – The Arsenal talisman, who was battling alcoholism at the time, mimicked downing pints while grinning inanely after Tony Adams scored from his free-kick to beat North London rivals Tottenham in the semi-final of the 1993 FA Cup. The gesture became known as “doing a Merse”.

10. Joey Barton – The then Manchester City midfielder dropped his shirts to bare his rear end at Everton supporters after his side snatched a last-gasp equalizer at Goodison Park. He was fined £2,000 by the FA for “bringing the game into disrepute” but Merseyside Police saw fit to take no action after investigating the incident.

http://www.sport.co.uk/news/Football...ebrations.aspx
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

No. 5 is my favourite. Classic!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      10. Joey Barton – The then Manchester City midfielder dropped his shirts to bare his rear end at Everton supporters after his side snatched a last-gasp equalizer at Goodison Park. He was fined £2,000 by the FA for “bringing the game into disrepute” but Merseyside Police saw fit to take no action after investigating the incident.
      Thanks LAZIE. Over to you MR. MARIN

Comment

Working...
      X