Gerald 'Hero' Scott's take on Jamaica's football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerald 'Hero' Scott's take on Jamaica's football

Journalists need to play their parts to spread the words that the football Jamaica is sinking to lowest of lowest.

Reading the Editorial piece about”Bora and World Cup qualification” in (Observer 18) was interesting to read. Even though, according to the newspaper, the deal is not yet in black and white but looking good so far. Meneer Milutinovic’s (Meneer a Dutch word for Mr.) aim is to take us back to Africa (Road to Africa), the land of our ancestors. But I am afraid the Observer seems to over look some very important things in football, which Jamaica, in particular is lacking. For example, sport facilities; which include good football fields, youth academy, sport bars/shops own by the club at the grounds for the clubs to make money, an experience caretaker to keep the playing surface in top-notch form, and even a club doctor. The lack of respect, indiscipline, behavioural problem of players on and off the field are some of the things that are strangling over talented young players and country’s football.

There are some people who are going to say that Jamaica reached the 98 World Cup with little or no facilities. That is so true, but do we ever stop to think what the reasons is for that success was. Was it because we had a good coach, or a very good team at the right moment, the oppositions were not so good, God answered our prayers or we got the full support of the Jamaican people. All I can say is that our football declined so badly it is like hot lava coming down from a volcano after the World Cup 98 final in France. The facts are there to back up my point when you read the next paragraphs.

1998- They were hot-air balloon

It was a year that all Jamaicans and friends of Jamaica will remember for the rest of their natural lives, it was a time that brings joy to our faces, when the country was united for the first time, and the time when we could really be proud of our achievement. It was 1998, when we became the first English speaking Caribbean country to grace the most watched sport on earth- the World Cup football.  Was it the beginning of a new era in football for Jamaica? Would this be the first of many times we would be playing in the World Cup? Those questions were not ready to be answered just yet because we have better things to think about, like facing the world that is waiting for us in France. I was very privileged to be there to witness it for myself. It was a night to remember in Lens, France watching Jamaica taking on another debutant, Croatia in the group game. Even though we went down 3-1 to Croatia, the after party in the city centre was a sight to behold. Watching all sort of people and the Croatian fans dancing reggae in the street of Lens was something that should not be missed at any given time. I reached home 5 a. m. the following morning after a great evening. How can we not love and wish to see more of this happiness taking place after games of our national team in World Cup final?

It was a long road to reach the final and something that was worth the wait. The national team played a total of 23 games from start (qualifying games) to finish (include world cup final games).  Played: 23, Won: 12, Drew: 6, Lost: 5. GF: 27, GA: 24 and PTS: 42. At the World Cup itself, we won 1, drew 0, and lost 2 and that means we came home with 3 valid World cup points to place us 56th of the 75 countries that played in the World Cup finals. We are craving for more success.

2002- They were mud sliding.

What make them think that we were not looking forward to go the 2002 World Cup final? How can we not want to dance to the same “sanky” in Korea/Japan like we did in France? Jamaicans are extrovert people who like to have fun and watching our national team in the world cup final is more that fun. Seeing that Small Island in the World Cup is like sex, or eating a plate of curried goat with a cool red stripe beer, or watching a game of curried goat cricket on a Sunday afterno
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: Gerald 'Hero' Scott's take on Jamaica's football

Interesting article and thoughs from hero... Heard another expat commenting on the need to have a differnt format for the npl. He too believe every parish or Conunt should be represented. His thought were if it was to continue the way it is pretty soon it would be an all Kingston league. The ideas he put forward was promotion based on the confed. So if a team from The west was demoted a team from the west would be promoted, and gradual re-structuring so that you have a team from all parishes. For example There should be special provision that a team from Clarendon get since Horace Reid move that team. Its not an easy solution but we need to put our thoughts around this.

Comment

I am glad he is not in the US or it would be seen as a hate Jamaica football speech.

The fact is more must be done to generate income from football. We can't depend on sponsorship and we need to do the small things.

How is the academy going to be supported? Is it government and private sector that will come to aid once again?

How much money did the JFF earn other than from donations this year?

How bad a financial straight are we in? Boxhill and crew fail to address this.

How can they plan and get people involve this way?

I hope a savior will come from the skiesand help us for football sake.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

But even more importantly, I hope when Karl reads this he realises his long drawn out posts donr have to be dry and boring and repetitive..ha ha ha....

Watch out for the response with quote now...
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Well Exile say Chris Dehring is not the Messiah and I tend to agree but trust me he is a far better option than the two clowns we have right now and would be willing to give him the job.
          Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (11/27/2006)But even more importantly, I hope when Karl reads this he realises his long drawn out posts donr have to be dry and boring and repetitive..ha ha ha....

Sickko (11/27/2006)But even more importantly, I hope when Karl reads this he realises his long drawn out posts donr have to be dry and boring and repetitive..ha ha ha....

I love this article! Ofcourse part of my love is Hero says many of the things I have been saying.

He mentions not necessarily in the order I have below -

1. All-Island Development

2. TEAM

3. Points to poor club and JFF management & lack of vision

4. Talent abounds! ...but, management sucks!

5. There really is not a money (lack of funds) problem...but, a lack of experience and or enough effort putinto sourcing funds.

4. The self-hateand stupidity exemplified by the private sector rush to sporadically pump fundsinto the national program as qualifiers draw near ...and, only when aforeigner is hired.

5. The nonsense 'start-stop, start-stop' policy of the Burrell and Boxhill regimes as it relates to our national TEAMs' preparations - Look no further than our current extremely talented REGGAEBOYZ.

6. Lack of proper investment in our YOUTH as it relates to ALL-Island development.

...etc, etc.

I also took notehis oblique reference to "the how" of the current JFF Academy.

As I said, I love the article.

Aside:Sickko: As someone taught to, and who believes in, getting your points across by using different situations...relevant situations and circumstances...to 'embed' in the 'captive minds' any idea or teaching one believes one must communicate or have learned...the potency and effectiveness of'repeatinguntil absorbed',I cannot help myself in my using of the tried and tested method of repetition and still more and more repetitions.

Think - Perpetual Renewal, TEAM...etc., etc. I am happiest when others grab the idea(s) ...or, come to the same conclusions by other means ...and start to help me by speaking (You got it - repeating the idea(s). Eventually the idea/ideas take hold on many persons. Trust me!

Aside: Besides his many, many good points...it is intriguing to see thatHero is also asking, along with repeating some of the earlier ideas...another of the questions - "The How" of this JFF Academy? - repetition...huh?
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

there are many business people or educated people who would help for no money at all but nuff a dem nah mix up in the politics, badmanism and indiscipline that sorround football in Ja.

Mi know that you love it but you can't deny that a one a the reason you pull back.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
              X