Dehring next JFF president?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dehring next JFF president?

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=1 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD><SPAN class=TopStory>Dehring next JFF president?</SPAN>
    <SPAN class=Subheadline>World Cup 2007 executive not averse to idea</SPAN></TD></TR><TR><TD>PAUL A REID, Observer Writer
    Saturday, November 25, 2006
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=5 width=178 align=left border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR><TR><TD><SPAN class=Description>DEHRING... I have not really considered it, but obviously football is my favourite sport </SPAN></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=StoryText align=justify>DANIEL TOWN, Trelawny - Chris Dehring, managing director and chief executive officer (CEO) of next year's International Cricket Council (ICC) World Cup here in the Caribbean, has been touted in some quarters as a possible candidate for presidency of the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF).

For some time now Dehring's name has been brought up in discussions, along with Kingston &amp; St Andrew Football Association's (KSAFA's) boss Stewart Stephenson, in this regard.

Dehring was part of the 1983 St George's College Manning Cup team that won the Corporate area schoolboys' title but lost in the Olivier Shield to the Steve Bucknor-coached Cornwall College team. He also attended Campion College where he played both Manning Cup and Sunlight Cup cricket and went on to represent the national Under-19 team in regional cricket competitions.

Dehring, who has been head of the World Cup Organising Committee since 1997 when he was seconded from his investment banking job at Dehring Bunting &amp; Golding, which he helped to co-found, is highly thought of in some circles and considered to be a suitable candidate for the job.

According to Cricinfo.com, Dehring was a principal architect of the Caribbean's quest to host the ICC Cricket World Cup, presenting the West Indies Cricket Board's (WICB's) proposal to the ICC in 1998.<P class=StoryText align=justify>He subsequently represented the WICB in the commercial rights negotiations with Global Cricket Corporation which concluded the largest rights deal in cricket's history - US$550 million for ICC tournaments, including the ICC CWC in 2007, the website also said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>Dehring was appointed managing director of the ICC Cricket World Cup 2007 by the WICB in 1999 and has since spearheaded the co-ordination of the 14 Caribbean governments, cricket administrations and the public in the execution of the event.<P class=StoryText align=justify>There were, however, questions as to his desire for the job, but when asked directly, he did not appear to have any aversion to making himself available.

In an interview with the Observer while on tour of the Trelawny Multi-Purpose Stadium on Tuesday, Dehring said while he has not given the matter any thought, he would make himself available to serve sport in Jamaica in any capacity.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I have not really considered it, but obviously football is my favourite sport and that is very well known."

Dehring, who also represented Jamaica in cricket at the Under-19 level, said the "experience and knowledge of the international sports world from doing the job I have been doing for the last few years" would serve him well, should he ever take up such a position.

And he had no doubt that he had a lot to offer sports in Jamaica.<P class=StoryText align=justify>"I think I would have something to offer and would be willing to make that available to the football federation and the cricket association in Jamaica," he said.<P class=StoryText align=justify>According to Dehring, "I've always wanted to give back to sports. I really love sports and that has always been a very important part of my life, so I would love to... continue to be giving some kind of contribution, the form of that contribution
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

RE: Dehring next JFF president?

Say what you want, you cant deny the man's impressive credentials, right?
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

Comment

Sickko (11/25/2006)Say what you want, you cant deny the man's impressive credentials, right?
      I will not deny his credentials. It would be interested to see him run.
      "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I think this story should be posted on the front page of the site for a while.
        Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
        Che Guevara.

Comment

Young! Acceptable to changes! Good at getting things done! Business man!

Very, very interesting!

I would work with Chris!

For the good of our football would Horace Burrell and Crenston Boxhill work with Chris Dehring?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Karl (11/26/2006)

For the good of our football would Horace Burrell and Crenston Boxhill work with Chris Dehring?

Which of the 2 has had a problem working with others?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah (11/26/2006)
              Karl (11/26/2006)

Which of the 2 has had a problem working with others?
              BOTH!
              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Dehring would get my vote in a flash.

Young, no baggage, a doer, a genuine lover of sportand well-off enough that corruption would be a non-issue... at least that's how I read him.

pr
                Peter R

Comment

This is the idea boss....I just hope the delegates think like you
                  Che Guevara.

Comment

Peter R (11/26/2006)Dehring would get my vote in a flash.

Young, no baggage, a doer, a genuine lover of sportand well-off enough that corruption would be a non-issue... at least that's how I read him.

pr
                    Smart enough to know that making the football a money earner will put more dollars in his pockets than any tiefing and or corrupt way could ever do.

...What about a president one day making $12,000,000.00+ per year! Good manager can get us there and ...quick-quick!

Comment

It would be great to get Chris into the mix...but, which parish FA or affiliate do you think would let him in?

We do remember that he has to be selected by the delegates at the JFF CONGRESS. ...and, I do think he would find it hard to win if not even invited to attend? I think?

Comment

Same questions I posed at Sickko, but he implied that the Constitution and the rules can be easily circumvented. I always tend to follow the rules, so I would rather see him go through the correct channel. It should not be too difficult to get him in through a parish association.

Comment

Tilla (11/26/2006)Same questions I posed at Sickko, but he implied that the Constitution and the rules can be easily circumvented. I always tend to follow the rules, so I would rather see him go through the correct channel. It should not be too difficult to get him in through a parish association.
                          Why would anyone want to circumvent rules and regulations? ...and, which well meaning person would like to start off with 'circumventing rules, regulations and or constitution...when a big part of 'ruling'/managing the JFF would be adhering to/acting within guidlines ofrules, regulations and constitution???

Comment

Why you all don't get Trump? What has he done for football lately? Oh, he played schoolboy football? I guess that qualifies him...what else? He heads the Windies W/Cup and was involved in promoting Cricket...where we are almost at the bottom of the table and make no money...better yu ask for Jack Warner!!!Unnu gwaan like unnu no know sey....ah boy...

Respect all,

Exile

Comment

There is something to be saidabout having an administrator for Football who is independently wealthy.

I don't thing money would be a motivating factor for Dehring as DB&amp;G seem to be doing well; ( I am assuming he still holds shares in the co.)they are now listed on the T&amp;T stock exchangeand making money for their clients, not to mention major shareholders.

pr
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X