X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GUNNERS Karl's title fav! - Fabregas eyes Arsenal fightback

Fabregas eyes Arsenal fightback

Fabregas seems content to play his football at the Emirates Stadium

Arsenal captain Cesc Fabregas is confident the club can overcome their problems and succeed in the new season. The Gunners have not won a trophy for four years and are still looking to replace Emmanuel Adebayor and Kolo Toure - both sold to Manchester City.
    "Every big club goes through difficult moments and we are in one at Arsenal," admitted the 22-year-old midfielder.
    "But we have to be stronger than ever and stick together and I am sure we will be fine."

Arsene Wenger's side ended last season in fourth position in the Premier League to secure a place in the Champions League qualifying round.
    They also had to contend with replacing William Gallas as skipper last November following the 31-year-old French defender's public criticism of his team-mates.

But with the new season just over one week away Fabregas, despite being linked with a move to AC Milan and Barcelona, remains determined to fight for the cause - particularly having missed most of last season with ruptured knee ligaments.
    "For the last three seasons, we have been unlucky with injuries so hopefully this year we can all stay fit," the Spanish international added.

"We will never start the season thinking that we are going to finish fourth. The quality is here and I believe we can do it.

"Individually, my target for this season is to improve everything, because at my age, I believe it is the right thing to do.
    "Of course if I can score more goals than ever, the better it will be for the team."

Arsenal also have talented teenager Jack Wilshere to bolster the team. The 17-year-old scored twice in the Emirates Cup tournament last weekend in a 3-0 win over Scottish champions Rangers.

The midfielder is a player providing Fabregas with much hope for the club's development.

"For every club you can have big names coming in, but when you have a talent that comes through the youth system, I think it is one of the proudest things for a club," said Fabregas, whose contract expires in 2014.

"When I was injured I was training a lot with the reserves, and there is some really great potential in there."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X