St James FA election a real shocker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• St James FA election a real shocker

<DIV class=HTMLTitle><SPAN id=Ar0670000 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">St James FA election a real shocker </SPAN></DIV><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><BR style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 5px; LINE-HEIGHT: normal; FONT-STYLE: normal; FONT-VARIANT: normal"><DIV class=HTMLContent style="OVERFLOW: auto"><SPAN id=Ar0670001 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify"></SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">That the incumbent Lennox Wallace would have lost by so wide a margin was inconceivable going into Monday night's Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the St James Football Association. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Given the build-up and the anticipation, it was expected to be a close fight and even the eleventh hour entry of Cricket Board president, Tom Chambers, was deemed ineffectual. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">As it turned out, at one stage during Monday night's tallying of the </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0670002 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">votes, Wallace was third in the race. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">I claim no inside knowledge of the thinking of the delegates leading up to the elections, but based on what I knew of the running of the FA, I thought Wallace had done enough to be given a second mandate. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Wallace is a bright, energetic executive and was hand groomed to take over from George Evans when he stepped down in 2004 after five years in the hot seat. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">To my mind, and remember my direct association with the day-today running of football in the parish ended years ago when Violet Kickers changed ownership and </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0670003 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">became Mt Salem FC, Wallace managed to keep the Association running and moving on a steady upward curve. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">However, the delegates saw it differently and made their voice heard loud and clear on Monday night in the resounding 52-20 margin that Orville </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0670004 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Powell won by. Factor in the 10 votes that Chambers managed to get and the eight ballots that were spoilt and the margin is even more decisive. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">The million dollar question was what led to the rejection of Wallace by the delegates after what appeared on the surface, a good job? </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">One of the things heard after Monday’s meeting was that he had lost touch with the delegates and was absent for long periods. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Even more disturbing were charges </SPAN><SPAN id=Ar0670005 style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">that they had lost confidence in his leadership and were not happy with the way he dealt with a number of issues involving the bigger picture of how they related to the ongoing Jamaica Football Federation politics. </SPAN>
    <SPAN style="TEXT-JUSTIFY: newspaper; TEXT-ALIGN: justify">Maybe I am naïve or not in tune with what is going on but I fail to see how what goes on here in St James, Westmoreland or St Thomas affects what goes on at the JFF. </SPAN>
    <SP
    Solidarity is not a matter of well wishing, but is sharing the very same fate whether in victory or in death.
    Che Guevara.

RE: St James FA election a real shocker

Maybe I am naïve or not in tune with what is going on but I fail to see how what goes on here in St James, Westmoreland or St Thomas affects what goes on at the JFF.

- Isn't it a two way street? What happens at the local level affects what the national programs is all about and the also going in the other direction - i.e. What happens at the national level affect the local programs?

Besides in addition to automatically each affecting the other...is there not directly mandated inter-action and responsibilities of a Parish FA's heads and the JFF Board of Directors, Executive Committe and thus entire operation of JFF and the Parishes?

Two way street - -----&gt; &amp; &lt;-------- flow! ...and, truth be told it could not be any other way if we expect development to be all-island!
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
    X