Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tottenham and Arsenal in race to sign Klass-Jan Huntelaar fr

Tottenham and Arsenal in race to sign Klass-Jan Huntelaar from Real Madrid

Arsenal are ready to fight Tottenham for the signature of Klaas-Jan Huntelaar after the Dutch international passed up the chance of signing for Stuttgart in favour of the Premier League.

By Emily Benammar
    Published: 10:12AM BST 24 Jul 2009

London calling: both Tottenham and Arsenal have been linked with making a swoop for Klass-Jan Huntelaar Photo: GETTY IMAGES

According a report in the Sun, Arsenal are confident they can outbid their London rivals with an offer of £16.5 million for the 26-year-old who returns to training with Real Madrid on Friday.

The Spanish giants, who only signed the striker in January, are understood to want Huntelaar's future resolved by the end of next week but have given no hint as to which Premier League club stands the better chance of securing a deal.

On hearing the news that Huntelaar had rejected the chance to play in the Bundesliga, Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp reinforced his interest in signing the 26-year-old.

"The lad is a very good goalscorer and I'm still interested in him," he said. "I'm hoping we will still be able to do something - there's a lot of talk about who I may or may not be after but Huntelaar is the one I like."
    His lingering interest looks set to end any chance of being reunited with Peter Crouch who last week was linked with a move to White Hart Lane. Redknapp said that despite his enthusiasm to have the 6ft 7in striker back in his squad, the deal was too pricey for the club.

"Portsmouth are trying to sell Crouchy. Sunderland were interested and I think Fulham are interested," Redknapp added. "I like Crouchy but I just feel that for that type of money it is an awful lot of money, no disrespect, but Peter is 28-years-old.

"Basically it is an expensive deal because there is no return when you pay that type of money. And obviously his salary is high. I don't know whether it is possible for us to do that type of deal. It is an expensive deal. The whole package looks expensive."

Arsenal meanwhile have £25 million to spend following the departure of Emmanuel Adebayor and aside from Huntelaar have recently been linked with making a move for Marseille captain, Lorik Cana.

When asked if he would consider a move away from the French side, the midfielder, who missed out on the chance to join Arsenal earlier on in his career, said: "I would only leave Marseille for a big foreign club who have the potential to challenge for major silverware."
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Huntelaar as gone on record saying Arsenal is his favourite team in England so if the deal is right he might just end up at Arsenal.

Comment

Working...
    X