Man City seals Adebayor deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man City seals Adebayor deal

Manchester City have completed the signing of Arsenal's Emmanuel Adebayor on a five-year contract.
    The fee for the Togo international has not been disclosed, although the 25-year-old is believed to have cost City in the region of £25million.
    Adebayor was omitted from the Arsenal squad which tackled Barnet on Saturday as he was in Manchester putting the final touches on his five-year contact.
    The former Monaco man, who joined Arsenal in 2006, has been moved by the reception received by fans and is looking forward to making history at Eastlands.
    History

"It made me feel really welcome and special and I can't wait to play for City's fans and show them what I can do," he told City's official website.
    "I was born to play football and that is what I want to do. I have come here to make history for this club and those supporters. It what the chairman and the manager told me that they want too and I can't wait to get started."
    Manager Mark Hughes has signed some of the world's finest strikers this summer with Adebayor joining the likes of Carlos Tevez and Roque Santa Cruz in joining City.
    Although Hughes has a plethora of attacking options he is delighted to have acquired Adebayor's signature, stating he will 'greatly enhance' City's ability to compete with the big four.
    "Emmanuel has been one of the top forwards in the Premier League since he arrived from France and we are delighted he has agreed to come and join us," he declared.

Enhance

"Along with the other signings we have made in the last two windows he will greatly enhance our ability to compete with the top sides.
    "His arrival is another clear indication that we are determined to augment the players we have here with the best of international talent.
    "He adds vital balance and power to our attack. He has everything a top forward needs. He is versatile, powerful, quick and agile on the ball.
    "I am looking forward to working with him as are the rest of the staff. He will definitely add a new dimension to our play. I have been a great admirer for a long time."

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger is adamant his club will not suffer from the sale of Emmanuel Adebayor to Manchester City.
    The Togo international has completed his move to Eastlands for a fee reported to be in the region of £25million as City continue their summer spending.
    Adebayor's exit has been met by mixed reviews from those connected to Emirates Stadium, with some disgruntled by the forward's perceived lack of commitment while others have voiced concerns that a star player has been allowed to leave.
    Wenger, though, insists the Gunners will not suffer and he is confident other key members of his squad will not follow Adebayor out of the club.
    "We must trust the players we have. It's a very important season for us and I believe we are in a very strong position," he said.
    Big players

"Big clubs lose big players. AC Milan have lost Kaka but will go on. Arsenal have lost big players before but we go on.
    "We have also had positive messages - players like Robin van Persie and Cesc Fabregas are staying here.
    "I believe we have a strong enough squad to meet the targets we have."
    Meanwhile, Wenger admits that at one stage during Tomas Rosicky's rehabilitation he feared the midfielder's career was over.
    Hamstring and knee injuries sidelined Rosicky for 18 months as his appearance in yesterday's pre-season friendly against Barnet was his first since January 2008.

Rosicky confidence

Wenger is confident the Czech Republic international will still be the same player and hopes he could be available for the Premier League opener against Everton on 15th August.
    "There was a time when I was worried Tomas wouldn't play football again and he felt the same," he said.
    "But he had always led a healthy and dedicated life. Mentally he's also very strong.
    "Of course you have to ask and hope if he will ever get back to where we want him to be and the answer looks like yes.
    "We have to manage him well and prepare him well. If he comes through pre-season well he could start the season."

Comment

Dunny,

The problem I have wit Wenger is that he says tha same sh*t every preseason. This man keeps selling some of the best young players every year yet how does he expect Arsenal to compete and build a team that challenges for honors? You simply cannot do that in modern day football. In the past he's sold Reyes, Flamini, and a few other good players. Now Adebayor? Whos's out tha door next pre-season? Fabregas, Walcott, Clichy?

Comment

still Wegner needs to cut the crap we need to bring in some talent. We were short last year up front and I am not sure he has done enough to sure up that.

Comment

Arsenal midfielder Samir Nasri will be out for up to three months after fracturing his right fibula in pre-season training.
          The injury was sustained at a training camp in Austria.
          The 22-year-old France international joined from Marseille in 2008 and made 44 first-team appearances in his first campaign in English football.
          He scored seven times, the first goal coming seven minutes into his debut against West Brom.
          606: DEBATE
          Do you think he'll be kicking a ball in even 12 weeks?

feetofmagic

The Frenchman's injury will disrupt Arsene Wenger's new season plans, although midfielder Tomas Rosicky has returned to fitness.
          The 28-year-old Czech has missed the past 18 months with a combination of knee and hamstring injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
            still Wegner needs to cut the crap we need to bring in some talent. We were short last year up front and I am not sure he has done enough to sure up that.
            Well goals were not the problem last season we scored the same amount as Man utd and Chelsea, it was the defence and the midfield, i think thats what wenger was considering when he let adebayor go, this team will always create for their forwards. We just need to stop letting them in.

Comment

Originally posted by Warlord View Post
              Dunny,

The problem I have wit Wenger is that he says tha same sh*t every preseason. This man keeps selling some of the best young players every year yet how does he expect Arsenal to compete and build a team that challenges for honors? You simply cannot do that in modern day football. In the past he's sold Reyes, Flamini, and a few other good players. Now Adebayor? Whos's out tha door next pre-season? Fabregas, Walcott, Clichy?
              Warlord ,let the captain steer the ship.We not gonna spend what we no have.The manager have complete faith in what he is trying to do.We no want no cheque book manager fi come bankrupt we club.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
                Warlord ,let the captain steer the ship.We not gonna spend what we no have.The manager have complete faith in what he is trying to do.We no want no cheque book manager fi come bankrupt we club.
                It aint about having a checkbook manager that bankrupts tha club. Be realistic here, you cannot expect to compete and win in the premiership and Europe for that matter if you are selling your best players every off season. It doesnt take a rocket scientist or an old French club manager to figure that out.

Whether Arsenal football club likes it or not they will have to start spending some money on world class players and keep hold of them if they intend to challenge in the future. Wenger has no clue what he is doing anymore, and Arsenal is beginning to look like a club that sells its best players if the price is right

Comment

EMMANUEL ADEBAYOR reckons he was pushed out of Arsenal because they needed the money.

And now the Manchester City new-boy plans to heap more worries on the Gunners - by helping to nick their Champions League spot.
                  Adebayor insists he never once asked to leave the Emirates - despite interest from a host of top European clubs last summer.
                  And he claims the switch to Eastlands is not about money and more about realising some of his long-standing ambitions in the coming years.
                  The £25million Togo striker recalled: "When I came back from holiday, I landed on July 13 and my agent told me I was going to speak with the club.
                  "When I did he told me they had come to an agreement with another club.
                  "It was a difficult decision to make. But I went away and thought now is the time for another challenge. It took about a week to sort everything out.
                  "He didn't really say why they wanted to sell me but I found out that they need the money and someone had to leave - that was me.
                  "Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger put me where I am today but he cannot stand up and say last summer I told him I wanted to leave.
                  "I told him I wanted to stay. I don't think our relationship is broken. I think they need the money and need to sell someone.
                  "They chose me and they got their money. I hope they spend it quite well and go forward. I send them all my regards.
                  "Now I have left Arsenal and that is all behind me. It's finished. I was very happy there, they made me what I am today.
                  "But I am a Man City player and I have to focus on what I can do at this club."
                  Advertisement

//Retrieve Blue Lithium & Bull frog Cookie Valuevar blueLithium = "No";blueLithium = get_cookie("BL")==null?"No":get_cookie("BL");var RStag = "";try{RStag = segQS;}catch(e){RStag = "";}document.write('');

Adebayor signed a deal worth around £150,000 a week at Eastlands but says that was not his motivation.
                  And he reckons things are falling into place for his new club to push into the top four next season - which could spell bad news for the Gunners.
                  He added: "The objective is to finish in the top four and that's what I'm here to do.
                  "We all know it will be very difficult. We don't care who we push out of the top four, whether it's Arsenal or one of the others.
                  "We know it will be tough but we have a squad with the players to do it.
                  "We have great strikers with Bellamy, Robinho, Santa Cruz, myself and Tevez and we can do it. We are capable of doing it this season.
                  "Now we have to go and prove we can do it."
                  Argie Tevez has been told to rest his heel injury for at least a week, and will miss tomorrow's friendly in South Africa.
                  He may now have to wait until next Saturday to make his debut at Barnsley.
                  But Adebayor is convinced there is a bright future ahead.
                  The strike star has been branded a money-grabber after accepting huge wages from a club nowhere near the Champions League.
                  But he said: "I know a lot of people will say 'He's gone for the money'.
                  "But I would like to see one Arsenal fan who worked somewhere for £10 and was offered work somewhere else for £30 to say they would refuse.
                  "I came here for ambition and to win trophies. Yes, they offered me a very fine contract and I have signed it.
                  "Now it's about what I can achieve as a footballer.
                  "I will fight for this club. My objective is to help this team to win trophies.
                  "The ambition is there for all to see. Everyone wants success.
                  "We cannot say we will do it in one year or two years - but we will do it as quickly as possible.
                  "I come from a very poor city and country. I have a lot of ambition, I've had a career but I only ever think about going up."
                  City remain optimistic of persuading John Terry to move to Eastlands - even though Chelsea claim he is on the verge of committing his future to Stamford Bridge.
                  Adebayor has had some major battles with the England skipper in the last three years and would love to see him arrive at Eastlands. The City striker added: "He's one of the best in the world, no doubt.
                  "If City want to be a big club, they need the big names and experienced players.
                  "We all know how good he is, he's the captain of England and has shown how good he is. On the pitch he always does it.
                  "If they can get him, we can be sure our defence would be great."
                  Adebayor and his new team-mates had an emotional meeting with Nelson Mandela in Johannesburg yesterday.
                  The 25-year-old said: "I had a chance to meet him and I'm very pleased. He asked me about where I was from and things like that.
                  "But I was very proud to meet him. It's one of the most memorable days of my life."
                  Adebayor is now hoping there will be many more to come over the next few years - at Eastlands.

Comment

GAEL CLICHY blasted former team-mate Emmanuel Adebayor, saying: You only left us for the money.

Adebayor claimed abusive Arsenal fans forced him into a £25million move to Manchester City.
                    But Clichy reckons the switch was all about the hitman almost doubling his pay packet to £150,000 a week.
                    He said: "I really believe if you are a player who thinks only about money then you could end up at Manchester City.
                    "You have to think if you want to play for a big club and have your image or if you want to play for a good club and earn big money.
                    "When you ask someone to move for something like £300,000 a week it is just crazy."

Defender Clichy also scoffed at Adebayor's warning that City are set to nick Arsenal's Champions League spot.
                    Eastlands boss Mark Hughes has spent £80m this summer in a bid to gatecrash the Big Four.
                    Clichy declared: "I've been here six years and this is not the first summer where a club have spent big money to get big players.
                    "But it does not always mean a team will do well.
                    "Sometimes when you have players coming in like this it can take six to seven months for them to adjust."

Comment

Working...
                    X