Austin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Austin

Rodolph Austin got a red card in the Reggae Boyz's crucial match against Costa Rica on Tuesday. The player will miss tomorrow's must-win game against El Salvador. - file MIAMI, Florida:

RODOLPH AUSTIN is having a hard time coming to terms with the fact that he got a "harsh red card" in Jamaica's CONCACAF Gold Cup match against Costa Rica.

Worse yet, the midfielder believes the sending off impacted on his team's 1-0 loss and further eroded its chances of qualifying for the quarter-finals.

"It's a bit harsh to be honest because it's happening here and it's happening at my club," noted Austin, who admitted to not being able to sleep later that night.

"I got a red card for nothing and it's really hard on me; as an individual and on behalf of the team I am very sorry for what happened. It's just a rough situation for me to deal with," he lamented.

Austin described the play, saying the foul was magnified by the fact that the legs of his Costa Rican opponent, Celso Borges, got entangled with his, which made it appear far worse than it really was.

"The player got the ball, he pushed it past me and I was running behind him to win the ball. His legs got between both my legs and we both fell," pointed out Austin, who turned 24 on June 1. "He fell on the ball and I was trying to toe away the ball in the same motion, I was on the ground and that's it, the referee came and gave me a red card."

shocked
    He added: "I was very shocked because I think if anything should've come out of it, it should have been a yellow card because I got into a tangle with the player. But I didn't kick him for him to fall at first, his legs got between both of my legs. It's rough.

"I'm not a malicious player. I play rough but I'm not a malicious player. I wouldn't try to hurt someone because this is our job and if I hurt someone they can't provide for their family."

Austin was expelled at the 35th minute, with the Jamaicans clearly dominating the match and creating some good chances to score.

Costa Rica ultimately took advantage of the numerical odds to score the only goal at the 64th minute when Borges burst into the penalty box to use the side of his foot and volley a cross past Donovan Ricketts.

"I feel very, very bad in terms of me not helping the team because the team really needed the help and at that time. When I was on the field we were dominating and the game changed and stuff," Austin admitted. "I think I let the team down in terms of that red card but, as I said, it's just a hard time for me now because it's just when I was getting into the game and was enjoying it and stuff and I knew that by doing that we would have been victorious."

disappointed
    Austin was not readily receiving support from some of his teammates who believe he deserved the booking.

Another factor some think might have worked against Austin include things that were said in the team's dressing room to the referee, American Jair Marrufo, when he worked as the fourth official for their opening game against Canada at the Home Depot Center in Los Angeles.

While checking off the team, Marrufo was said to have instructed the Jamaicans to cut away certain things from their gear and may have taken offense at being asked if he would have done the same things to Ronaldo and other big-name players.

Austin, though, said he has been encouraged by team captain Ricardo Gardner while largely remaining by himself in his low moment.

"I haven't spoken to anyone because it hurts really bad and I feel disappointed about the result ... . I just stay by myself and try to get a reality check and try to move on from that," he said.

"I spoke to Ricardo (Gardner) and he said it's a learning process and I should learn from it and so forth."
    Last edited by Karl; July 9, 2009, 07:31 PM.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I saw the replay on FSC from another angle and I must say now it seems as if he got a raw deal. Looking at it from the other side though, it appeared that he was kicking at the player when he was down. I tek back mi chat in my first response to the red card.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Saw the replay also and the only difference is that it looked like he tried to not kick him as hard when him realize him was kicking the man. Still looked like a silly red to me.

Comment

Bwoy dat deh ref deh a sumpn else, how him gi a red card fi dat ongle di faadah knows. Man a try fi win di ball, shub en a strong foot fi get di ball an nex time wi know di ref produce a red. Man nowadays dem yah ref yah jus trigger happy.

Comment

Working...
        X