The real reason why JA are toothless in attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The real reason why JA are toothless in attack

The 5-3-2 system that we employ gives us a solid defensive base but limits us going forward.This is not because the system cant work,it is simply because the personnel employed in the system are not good enough to make it work.For the 5-3-2 system to work effectively the emphasis is on the 2 wing backs to be dynamic they need to be able to support the attack quickly and also be aware of their defensive duties.The strikers need to hold the ball up well when it arrives or else the system is wont work.

In Jamaica's case our 2 wing backs were Jermaine Johnson and Demar Phillips both ok players in their own right but are not ideal for the employment of this system.Demar is a tenacious little player but lacks the neccessary quality required to get good quality deliveries into the box,while JJ is good going forward is defensive play is not good enough.

Jamaica's two front men Fuller and Shelton both like the ball in behind defenders and are not the best at holding the ball up,so there is no way these 2 should be playing together in this particular system.

Our midfielders Morrison,Austin and Gardener are good players but there is no way Gardener is a central midfield player.He should be employed as a left wing back or left winger.There is nothing wrong with our Goal Keeper and we have at least four quality Centre Backs.

The solution is to either switch to 4-4-2 or make some personnel changes to our current system.If i was in Mr Whitmore's position at the moment i would make some personnel changes to the current system.Luton Shelton and Demar Phillips would be dropped and Jamal Campbell-Ryce and Eric Vernon brought in.

The team would be Ricketts ,Marshall,Stewart,Davis,Vernon,Gardener,Austin,Mor rison,Campbell-Ryce,Johnson,Fuller.Vernon would be employed at right wing back,Gardener at left Wing back,Austin and Morrison holding midfielders,Campbell- Ryce attacking midfielder,Johnson as the second striker and given the license to drop deep and run at defenders and Fuller as the main target man.These changes would improve our ball retention hence make us a more potent threat at the business end of the field.
    Last edited by Karl; July 5, 2009, 11:53 AM.

Don't see anything that the system to limit us. The players were simply too slow with their decision making process or made the wrong decision very often.
    Last edited by Me; July 5, 2009, 10:46 AM.

Comment

Is that a reflection of the discipline and people trying to do what they are not suppose to do?
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
        The 5-3-2 system that we employ gives us a solid defensive base but limits us going forward.This is not because the system cant work,it is simply because the personnel employed in the system are not good enough to make it work.For the 5-3-2 system to work effectively the emphasis is on the 2 wing backs to be dynamic they need to be able to support the attack quickly and also be aware of their defensive duties.The strikers need to hold the ball up well when it arrives or else the system is wont work.

In Jamaica's case our 2 wing backs were Jermaine Johnson and Demar Phillips both ok players in their own right but are not ideal for the employment of this system.Demar is a tenacious little player but lacks the neccessary quality required to get good quality deliveries into the box,while JJ is good going forward is defensive play is not good enough.

Jamaica's two front men Fuller and Shelton both like the ball in behind defenders and are not the best at holding the ball up,so there is no way these 2 should be playing together in this particular system.

Our midfielders Morrison,Austin and Gardener are good players but there is no way Gardener is a central midfield player.He should be employed as a left wing back or left winger.There is nothing wrong with our Goal Keeper and we have at least four quality Centre Backs.

The solution is to either switch to 4-4-2 or make some personnel changes to our current system.If i was in Mr Whitmore's position at the moment i would make some personnel changes to the current system.Luton Shelton and Demar Phillips would be dropped and Jamal Campbell-Ryce and Eric Vernon brought in.

The team would be Ricketts ,Marshall,Stewart,Davis,Vernon,Gardener,Austin,Mor rison,Campbell-Ryce,Johnson,Fuller.Vernon would be employed at right wing back,Gardener at left Wing back,Austin and Morrison holding midfielders,Campbell- Ryce attacking midfielder,Johnson as the second striker and given the license to drop deep and run at defenders and Fuller as the main target man.These changes would improve our ball retention hence make us a more potent threat at the business end of the field.
        The problem with what you have outlined is - the personnel Tappa employed worked...save and except the taking of the opportunities created before goal.

The 'sweet thing' about the change in personnel you propose is I think we would retain defensive strength (...although the players still need to step up in quality of play...) and make us more attacking! ...however I am thinking we should retain Tappa's team strategy, that is, keep his 5-3-2!

Against Canada Tappa's system - 5-3-2/using Tappa's system we created more than enough opportunities at goal to have won handsomely!
        The facts are we failed to make use of the goalscoring opportunites!
        Last edited by Karl; July 5, 2009, 12:17 PM.
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          The problem with what you have outlined is - the personnel Tappa employed worked...save and except the taking of the opportunities created before goal.

The 'sweet thing' about the change in personnel you propose is I think we would retain defensive strength (...although the players still need to step up in quality of play...) and make us more attacking! ...however I am thinking we should retain Tappa's team strategy, that is, keep his 5-3-2!

Against Canada Tappa's system - 5-3-2/using Tappa's system we created more than enough opportunities at goal to have won handsomely!
          The facts are we failed to make use of the goalscoring opportunites!
          So everything was Tappa's system except when they started booting the ball down the field?

Comment

Premature speculations

It is far too soon to decide what Jamaica's optimal formation is with the current crop of players and the "new" coach.

Let the coach develop the team organically over time... this is just one game in one tournament.

When Tappa has been in charge for a few months... has a chance to gell the team together against quality opponents.... then that is a great time to speculate and recommend changes... personnel and system.

A team throw together in 2 weeks or so and in the off season for many key players..... with some coming off injury... is not a great platform for overall assessment.

Maybe match to match assessment yes... but definitely not to determine future formations or even personnel.

That's premature. Jamaica must have the patience to build for the long term and resist knee jerk over-reactions.
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

i think this would be a better side..same formation
              ricketts
              vernon marshall stewpeas demar phillips

austin morrison
              johnson jamal c.ryce
              cumming
              fuller

we need the speed on the wings....costa rica has alot of speedy players....vernon can defend and is good at overlapping.....if bibi was fully fit i would start him at left back...but hes not and we cant afford to make any errors at the back.....from what i see....stew peas and marshall are playing the mose composed ...both of them have cool heads...and both can handle air balls....i would allow teddy and ryce to switch the wings....and truthfully from what i saw with fuller..i wish hodges was here because i would start him...

Comment

but Dunny Jamaica played a 3-5-2 hybrid formation which more looked like a 4-2-1--1-2

Original squad

3 defenders Claude, Marshall and Stew peas
                5 cross the middle JJ, Austin, Morrison, Bibi, and Phillips
                2 up front Shelton and Fuller

hybrid

4 defenders same 3 above with Phillips at left back
                2 central defensive midfielders Austin and Morrison with one of them interchanging in helping with the attack
                1 central attacking midfielder Bibi
                1 right attacking midfielder JJ
                and the two forwards.

In my opinion it was a decent formation/game plan because our two defensive midfielders are able to provide a late penetrating attack because them comfortable on the ball, and Bibi would have been able to create through passes to the forward and JJ...with JJ being pretty much a late arriving third forward.

To me the reason why Jamaica was toothless is because
                1 - Bibi wasn't creating the chances for the forwards
                2 - None of the forwards were given a chance to constantly run at the slower defenders (except JJ)
                3 - The biggest of them all was the lack of penetration on the left wing (probably because of the threat of DeGuzman and our 3 defenders would have been exposed) which made Canada concentrate on JJ more which is why he was so ineffective in the second half.

Possible solution that Tappa could have implemented:

Campbell-Ryce was a good addition but he shouldn't have taken off JJ...instead he should have taken off Philips, move Bibi to the left wing and put Ryce in the middle...that would have been alot more attacking but Bibi wasn't 100% so maybe thats why he couldn't do that, who knows....hinesight can be a b!t@h sometimes

Comment

I dont think its premature , here we have been playing 4-4-2 under Barnes with Tappa by his side as his 2nd in command a formation all the RBYZ use in thier respective clubs overseas a formation Barnes said its only logical a formation Bora said is modern no one uses 5-3-2 when he critiqued Mr Hunt on his use of the said formation.

Is it premature to critique Tappa ? why change and use it now ?

Don 1 Tappa has to answer why change it now is it the appropriate time for such a radical change , why not after Goal Cup .The JFF has to shoulder some of the blame because a new coach means a new philosphy will be implemented.

I am a Tappaite .
                  THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

I am not saying that the system cant work,it is not the point at all.I just think we dont create enough chances as a team,and it's not just this game.For this system to work properly you need at least 1 of your strikers to be able to manipulate the ball that is the main reason why we struggle because Luton Shelton is so poor he loses the ball 9 times out of 10,this imediately puts the team on the back foot.Keammar Daley would've been an ideal player as the second striker but unfortunately he is not in the squad so JJ in that position would be a far better option than Shelton.Phillips needs to improve is distribution so even a half fit Bibi is a better option on the left and Vernon on the right would give us more cover defensively,because he is a better player than JJ IN that position.Even though JJ was one of our better players on the night i blamed him for the goal,he got lazy and didn't track his man hence the cross resulted in a goal.

Comment

Phillips distribution was superior to Bibi in the last game.

Comment

When since Bibi turn central midfielder,Would you get an electrician to buid your house?

Comment

Demar's distribution was still better.

Comment

Originally posted by Me View Post
                            Demar's distribution was still better.
                            I think we were watching 2 different games.

Comment

When since Bibi turn central midfielder,Would you get an electrician to buid your house?
                              Bibi cannot even cross the ball properly. Definite liability on the field.

Comment

Working...
                              X