Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edgar Castillo: "I Want To Play For The U.S."

Edgar Castillo: "I Want To Play For The U.S."

Edgar Castillo could take advantage of new FIFA regulations allowing players to switch national teams by joining the United States.

Jun 29, 2009 7:43:16 PM

Edgar Castillo could join Jermaine Jones by taking advantage of a new FIFA rule allowing players of any age to switch national teams, provided they have not played any full internationals.

The New Mexico-native played in Olympic qualifying for Mexico, which, as an under-23 tournament, would not count against him.

"I would play for the United States," Castillo told USSoccerPlayers.com. "I’d want to talk to them first, but I want to play for the U.S. I think it would be a very good opportunity for me, for my career. If they call me I would play for them."

The left back played through high school in Las Cruces, N.M. Once he graduated, he moved to his parents' native Mexico and signed for Santos, forcing himself into the starting lineup in a 2008 Clausura championship run.

That's when he attracted his first Mexican national team interest under coach Hugo Sanchez, but has failed to push himself into the plans of either coach since, Sven-Goran Eriksson and current coach Javier Aguirre.

"It’s been hard for me because (Mexico) switched coaches three times," said Castillo. "Hugo Sanchez, he seemed to like me. He gave me my first [COLOR=#0464d1! important][COLOR=#0464d1! important]games[/COLOR][/COLOR]. Then (Eriksson) played me in one (friendly). Aguirre called me into one camp, but I didn’t play and I haven’t been back. I don’t think I’m in his plans."

Castillo is currently owned by Club America, but is out on loan with Tigres. If he made the switch, he'd join Jose Francisco Torres as U.S. internationals plying their trade in Mexico.

"Right now I just want to do what is best for my career and my family," Castillo said.

What is best for Castillo's career may also benifit the USA. Leftback has been a problem position for head coach Bob Bradley. Heath Pearce appeared to have it locked down before losing his club position. Chivas USA's Jonathan Bornstein hasn't impressed in his time in the role, and recently lost his spot to Carlos Bocanegra.

Still, Castillo doesn't expect to be handed a starting berth.

"They have a lot of good players," he admitted about the U.S. national team. "I don’t think I’d come in and be handed anything. But I’d like a chance to compete."

Zac Lee Rigg, Goal.com
    No need to thank me forumites.

since the fifa new rule come out about switching nation it seem that everybody that can play for the USA is going to,i just hope any JA players who can play for the USA don't switch,if their is any
    out of many one people

Comment

Working...
    X