X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart appointed assistant coach

Stewart appointed assistant coach

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Veteran coach Bradley Stewart, who formed a winning partnership with the recently-appointed national coach Theodore Whitmore, has been officially named as Whitmore's assistant.

STEWART. I regard being put in a position to serve one's country as being put on a pedestal
    Stewart, whose first assignment is to assist with the preparation of the Reggae Boyz squad for the Gold Cup tournament in the United States, was overjoyed with his selection.

"I am elated," said the 65-year-old Stewart, who has assisted Whitmore in his five previous matches as interim national coach.

Stewart has previously coached Jamaica's Under-19 team from 1979-1984. During that time, they lost out on a World Cup spot on the toss of a coin to Guatemala. He also had a stint with the national senior team in the mid 1980s as a part of a coaching group which included Neville Glanville, Delroy 'Mutty' Scott and Allie McNabb as manager.

He subsequently guided the national women's team for two games against a United States 'B' team. Additionally, he has coached at the University level in the United States, National Premier League, Major League and the Schoolboy level.

"To be asked to serve your country is an honour for anyone and I regard being put in a position to serve one's country as being put on a pedestal," he added.

Stewart, who is known for his mentorship skills, went on to say that he sees his role as aiding in the development of a team and a young coach with immense potential.

"My main desire is to help in the development of a young coach who has immeasurable potential to achieve greatness. Theodore has a track record of excellence as a player, he is a World Cup hero and he has brought this success to his international coaching career so far.
    "He has a record of five wins from five games and throughout that time I have been by his side and I want to be a part of the continuation of that success for the country and him," added Stewart.

Stewart will be part of the delegation which leaves the island today where the team will conduct a one-week pre-Gold Cup camp in the Cayman Island.

National captain Ricardo Gardner, who suffered an injury towards the end of his season in England, will not travel with the group. Gardner will remain in the island and continue treatment and specific training with the Jamaica Football Federation (JFF) medical team. He will join the team prior to their departure for the Gold Cup.

Veteran defender Ian 'Pepe' Goodison is also omitted from the pre-Gold Cup training camp, as his travel document is with the UK Border Agency in relation to his work permit application following the renewal of his contract with Tranmere Rover Football Club.

The full squad is Dwayne Miller, Duwayne Kerr, Claude Davis, Damion Stewart, Desmond Breakenridge, Adrian Reid, Rafe Wolfe, Oraine Simpson, Eric Vernon, Bryan Bayliss, Richard Edwards, Jerry Walters, Navion Boyd, Jermaine Johnson, Luton Shelton, Jason Morrison, Keammar Daley, Devon Hodges and Ricardo Fuller.

The delegation is completed by George Evans, head of delegation; Everton Tomlinson, assistant head of delegation; Theodore Whitmore, head coach; Bradley Stewart, assistant coach; Warren Barrett, goalkeeper coach; Howard Bell, team manager; Norman Stone, equipment manager; Dr Carlton Fraser, team doctor; and Juan Pablo Camargo, masseur.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X