Addlery bouyed by early success with Boyz

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Addlery bouyed by early success with Boyz

CHURCH FALLS, Virginia - Nicholas Addlery's demeanor is one of business. With the exception of the occasional jive, he's all about the job - on and off the field.
    Addlery... I'm always hungry for goals
    The 27-year-old Jamaica striker seems to embody the qualities of a true professional, and with nearly some 10 years under his belt playing mostly as a pro in the USA, it is little wonder.
    On his debut for the senior Reggae Boyz in Fort Lauderdale a week ago in a friendly international against Haiti, Addlery was impressive with his industry and put the icing on the cake with the opening goal in a 2-2 draw.
    His first goal for the team has whetted his appetite for wearing the Jamaica colours, a privilege and honour he claims compares to nothing else.
    "More importantly for me is to be out there in the starting line-up and hearing the national anthem of Jamaica, but scoring goals makes it all that better... me scoring is a result of the team playing well and providing opportunities for the forwards to score," he said.
    Life at the senior level, notes Addlery, is far more heady than playing for the Under-23 Olympic team, and that's a lofty place he hopes to remain.
    "There is no way I could try to compare playing at the Under-23 level and the senior team... playing for the youth team... was also a dream come true... but I cannot find any words to compare the experiences," said the former Jamaica College student who emigrated to the USA in 1999.
    Addlery, a Puerto Rico Islanders frontman, said only more goals on his plate for his country will satisfy his hunger.
    "I'm always hungry for more and once the ball is over the line the first time, you're always looking to get another one," said the bustling player.
    Addlery's style is marked by constant movement off the ball, quick passing and a lethal right-foot shot from outside the area.
    "At my club the emphasis is on two-touch football and sometimes you have to bring this to the forefront of the national team. That's my game and it makes no sense for me to change right now because... that's what got me here," outlined Addlery, who attended California University of Pennsylvania where he read for a degree in Business Administration.
    While club football is played at a high level and with equal passion, Addlery, who hails from Red Hills in St Andrew, said international football generally calls for a higher level of everything.
    "It's a big difference when you're playing for the national team because this international football... is much more technical and there is more attention to details... and you know you're not going to get four chances to score against an international team," he said.
    Addlery, who has scored five goals for the Islanders of the US Soccer League so far this season, has trained his sights on securing a spot in John Barnes' squad for the CONCACAF Gold Cup to be held in the US from July 3-26.
    "I'll continue to play my game - overall hard work and hard running," he told the Sunday Observer.
    For the Gold Cup, Addlery is confident the Boyz can finish in the top four.
    "Based on the talent pool on paper, a quarter-final or a semi-final finish wouldn't surprise me because Jamaica have that level of quality... with the overseas and local talent together we're easily in the top three in CONCACAF," he declared.
    Addlery has played football for San Juan Jabloteh in Trinidad, Dong Nai FC in Vietnam, Virginia Beach Mariners, DC United, Vancouver Whitecaps of the US soccer leagues before joining the Islanders.
Working...
X