RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I missed the game - ah who did win di Champions League?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I missed the game - ah who did win di Champions League?

Okay Lazie, that was for you. Don't mind, every body has a bad day at the office sooner or later.

Now, not that you care for my opinion, but one of the problems that Manu-r had yesterday was tactics. Slurgie thought that by putting Rooney on the wing, he would open up the game, but once Messi went inside, Rooney was effectively marginalised. What he should have done (and I am no master tactician) should have been to put Tevez in the striker spot and Rooney in behind him with Ronaldo and Park on the wings and Scholes and Carrick in the middle. Giggs should never have started.

As you know, I expected manu to win the game. I can't for the life of me understand how 11 quality players essentially lied down and chose not to play. I know that what I am about to say is baseless (except for personal observation of their game), but there is some kind of extenuating circumstance that the rest of us are not privy to that came into play. The squad that showed up from the northwest yesterday may as well have been from my daughter's rec team. It is as if they were drugged. I think there is more to the story than we are seeing.

That said, much credit must be given to Barca. They have made Spanish football history by winning Spain's first treble. They are an excellent side that will now be remembered as a "great" side. They fielded their second string back 4 and still did the business. They played attacking football and refused to sit on their lead. Great job. Great job to Frank Rjikaard actually, no disrespect to Pep.

The big loser yesterday had to be Ronaldo. The hyped Messi vs. Ronaldo matchup had a clear winner. He has yet to show that he can deliver at the highest level and that includes last year, when he missed the shoot out penalty that could have cost them the game.

The big winner was Messi for obvious reasons, but the most journeyman effort had to go to Puyol who marginalised both Ronaldo and Messi. Pique - massive. Etoo - what can I say? Henry, you should have scored, but congratulations, you now have a CL medal at last (you woulda dead wid out one if you stayed in North London). Xavi, Iniesta - wow!! No question that Xavi is the man - he has won more accolades this season than I can remember, including the ******************** he won at the Euros.

Oh well. This goes to show how difficult it is for a team to win a quintuple or a quadruple as it has never been done before. Manu-r should hold their head high, but if I were them, I would investigate the chef as he must have put some vallium in the dinner...just like manu did to spurs a few seasons ago.

Time to move on. While I can't say to the manu fans "better luck next time", I can say that the "real manu-r" did not show up...Platini somehow made sure of that.

YNWA!!
    "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Win the quardruple...lolololol hehehe a gwine drop down dead..
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Marin View Post
      Okay Lazie, that was for you. Don't mind, every body has a bad day at the office sooner or later.

Now, not that you care for my opinion, but one of the problems that Manu-r had yesterday was tactics. Slurgie thought that by putting Rooney on the wing, he would open up the game, but once Messi went inside, Rooney was effectively marginalised. What he should have done (and I am no master tactician) should have been to put Tevez in the striker spot and Rooney in behind him with Ronaldo and Park on the wings and Scholes and Carrick in the middle. Giggs should never have started.

As you know, I expected manu to win the game. I can't for the life of me understand how 11 quality players essentially lied down and chose not to play. I know that what I am about to say is baseless (except for personal observation of their game), but there is some kind of extenuating circumstance that the rest of us are not privy to that came into play. The squad that showed up from the northwest yesterday may as well have been from my daughter's rec team. It is as if they were drugged. I think there is more to the story than we are seeing.

That said, much credit must be given to Barca. They have made Spanish football history by winning Spain's first treble. They are an excellent side that will now be remembered as a "great" side. They fielded their second string back 4 and still did the business. They played attacking football and refused to sit on their lead. Great job. Great job to Frank Rjikaard actually, no disrespect to Pep.

The big loser yesterday had to be Ronaldo. The hyped Messi vs. Ronaldo matchup had a clear winner. He has yet to show that he can deliver at the highest level and that includes last year, when he missed the shoot out penalty that could have cost them the game.

The big winner was Messi for obvious reasons, but the most journeyman effort had to go to Puyol who marginalised both Ronaldo and Messi. Pique - massive. Etoo - what can I say? Henry, you should have scored, but congratulations, you now have a CL medal at last (you woulda dead wid out one if you stayed in North London). Xavi, Iniesta - wow!! No question that Xavi is the man - he has won more accolades this season than I can remember, including the ******************** he won at the Euros.

Oh well. This goes to show how difficult it is for a team to win a quintuple or a quadruple as it has never been done before. Manu-r should hold their head high, but if I were them, I would investigate the chef as he must have put some vallium in the dinner...just like manu did to spurs a few seasons ago.

Time to move on. While I can't say to the manu fans "better luck next time", I can say that the "real manu-r" did not show up...Platini somehow made sure of that.

YNWA!!
      This I have no problem with. Watching the game last night, I was saying Scholes should have started and yes I have to agree Giggs did nothing.

I have to disagree with you on this ...."He has yet to show that he can deliver at the highest level and that includes last year, when he missed the shoot out penalty that could have cost them the game. "

Not fair ... who scored the goal that put Manu 1 up in that game? He scored against Inter, Porto and Arsenal, yet he is being accused of not delivering at the highest level? Come on Paul.

The entire team did nothing and that was our problem.
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
        I have to disagree with you on this ...."He has yet to show that he can deliver at the highest level and that includes last year, when he missed the shoot out penalty that could have cost them the game. "

Not fair ... who scored the goal that put Manu 1 up in that game? He scored against Inter, Porto and Arsenal, yet he is being accused of not delivering at the highest level? Come on Paul.

The entire team did nothing and that was our problem.
        Lazie, I think you misunderstand me. Scoring alone doesn't make you great. Lifting your team to victory does. Even so, while he scored last year, he missed a crucial penalty that were it not for the grace of god, would have cost them the game. He has no other European titles nor international accolades with Portugal (no crown of any sort delivered) and until then, he can't be in the same pantheon as Pele, Maradonna, Zidane etc. This is the group that he aspires to join, which is why he struggles with his future at Man-ure...I am sure that he is now more than ever thinking of joining and becoming a RM star to "knock Barca off their perch"...but the real reason for not being definitive about his future is to keep his name in the press. I suspect he'll be lining up in Red next season. He is not great yet, but he has time on his side.
        "H.L & Brick .....mi deh pan di wagon (Man City)" - X_____ http://www.reggaeboyzsc.com/forum1/showthread.php?p=378365&highlight=City+Liverpool#p ost378365

X DESCRIBES HIMSELF - Stop masquerading as if you have the clubs interest at heart, you are a fraud, always was and always will be in any and every thing that you present...

Comment

Lazie, I think you misunderstand me. Scoring alone doesn't make you great. Lifting your team to victory does. Even so, while he scored last year, he missed a crucial penalty that were it not for the grace of god, would have cost them the game. He has no other European titles nor international accolades with Portugal (no crown of any sort delivered) and until then, he can't be in the same pantheon as Pele, Maradonna, Zidane etc. This is the group that he aspires to join, which is why he struggles with his future at Man-ure...I am sure that he is now more than ever thinking of joining and becoming a RM star to "knock Barca off their perch"...but the real reason for not being definitive about his future is to keep his name in the press. I suspect he'll be lining up in Red next season. He is not great yet, but he has time on his side.
          You consider Zico, Socrates and Baggio as being great? Rahtid ... I missed a penalty at one of the RSBC picnics. As for lifting team to victory ... Ronaldo has done that time and again. Be fair to the youth.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

You consider Zico, Socrates and Baggio as being great? Rahtid ... I missed a penalty at one of the RSBC picnics. As for lifting team to victory ... Ronaldo has done that time and again. Be fair to the youth.
            Zico, Socrates and Baggio were not in the same league as Pele, Maradona or Zidane or the real Ronaldo - not even close. All were great players, but you can't compare their exploits to those of these maestros. That is my point. That CRonaldo is not yet in that league. He may get there, but lifting Manu to a win over Wigan is not the same as taking your country to the World Cup or European Championship glory. If you raise the fair argument that Portugal is not a traditional world cup power, you must however, give them credit for the European Championship credentials.

Comment

Zico, Socrates and Baggio were not in the same league as Pele, Maradona or Zidane or the real Ronaldo - not even close. All were great players, but you can't compare their exploits to those of these maestros. That is my point. That CRonaldo is not yet in that league. He may get there, but lifting Manu to a win over Wigan is not the same as taking your country to the World Cup or European Championship glory. If you raise the fair argument that Portugal is not a traditional world cup power, you must however, give them credit for the European Championship credentials.
              Last World Cup didn't Portugal reach the WC semis? Or you gonna tell me he has to win it to be great?

Comment

Last World Cup didn't Portugal reach the WC semis? Or you gonna tell me he has to win it to be great?
                Until he wins the world cup, don't you agree he won't be in the same league as Zidane, Pele or Maradonna?

Comment

Until he wins the world cup, don't you agree he won't be in the same league as Zidane, Pele or Maradonna?
                  George Best never won the world cup and there are those that mention him with the others.

Durrant Tatty Brown never played in a World Cup, but I think he is the best CD from Concacaf.

Zidane, Pele and Maradona had a supporting cast around them ... Ronaldo nuh have that.

Quick question ... Maradona and Zidane won 1 WC each, does that make players that won it more than once ... like Cafu better than them?

Comment

Zas Crise, Lazie!!! Yuh cyaan undastan di man pint!?!?!?!

Geez!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A hear Manu win the quad....

Comment

It is remarkable isn't it Mo? Lazie, we're going in circles. We'll see where Ronaldo ends up in the history books in about 10 years. He still has time. For the record, no one is saying he is not talented, but the "greatness standard" has been set by the exalted names I mentioned. Because of their accomplishments, it is not measured by talent alone. In CRonaldos' case, (and unlike George Best), he does have a supporting cast which is why the pundits will not put him on the same level as the real Ronaldo, Pele etc. unless he can raise Portugal to new heights. Winning the European Cup is a step in the right direction, but he has to win a world cup or Euro or risk becoming another Baggio.
                        Last edited by Paul Marin; May 28, 2009, 04:14 PM.

Comment

This goes to show how difficult it is for a team to win a quintuple or a quadruple as it has never been done before.
                          Actually, I stand corrected. First off, the quadruple is impossible to win in some countries like Spain where there is only one domestic cup. However, Celtic won the quadruple in the 60's, so it has been done before. From Wikipedia:

Celtic are the only men's club to have accomplished the feat, doing so in the 1966-67 season, winning:

1. The Scottish Football League Division One
                          2. The Scottish Cup
                          3. The Scottish League Cup
                          4. The European Cup

Celtic also won the Glasgow Cup that season.

Comment

i beg to differ, cristiano ronaldo had a good supporting cast in the portuguese side.....but that is beside the point.

there is no doubt he is a very talented player and if he wins it with portugal in 2010 it would still not put him in the league of zidane e.g. all the layers mentioned have a body of work over many years....

people still talking about george best and george weah CLEARLY they re among the greats but they have never won a WC.....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Ronaldo and Portugal have the talent to compete for a WC, what they don't have is the mentality/attitude; however the same was said of Spain in Euro and they've put their ghosts to rest. There is no reason Portugal can't do the same... however, you think that a WC is a criterion to join the elite group? of course it would not hurt...and if you said otherwise (bear with me, I didn't read all the posts ) If Ronaldo avoids injury and plays the way he has for the next 10 years I don't think he would be excluded, WC and/or Euro Cup or not.
                              Peter R

Comment

Working...
                              X