John Barnes-lauds teams determination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Barnes-lauds teams determination

FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida - Jamaica's head coach John Barnes rued the Reggae Boyz's possessional play, but showered them for demonstrating a rare spirit of "determination and heart" following their hard-fought 2-2 draw with Haiti in a friendly international at Lockhart Stadium Saturday night.
    Jamaican spectators sit silently as their team trail 1-2 to Haiti in their friendly international match at Lockhart Stadium in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, on Saturday. The game ended 2-2. (Photo: Sean Williams)
    For the approximately 12,000 fans, most of them Jamaican supporters, it was sweet relief when Damion Stewart braved a tangle of flying feet to go low to head home and pull the Boyz back from the brink of defeat against Haiti.
    "We didn't pass the ball, particularly in the first half, as well as we would have liked. and we didn't keep possession. but what they showed me, not only when they went 10 men down, but when they went 1-2 down, are the qualities that I am also looking to see," he said at a post-match press conference.
    "We weren't playing particularly well, we weren't playing with confidence, so to come back from 1-2 down shows a lot of effort," added the former England winger and Liverpool standout.
    "I wanted them to show belief and desire and they did. We need more composure because I know they have
    the fight."
    When the team lost Derby County's Davis, Barnes was forced to restructure the formation by pulling Roland Dean from the frontline with Addlery, leaving the busy-body striker alone.
    "It's difficult for the strikers, because when you go down to 10 men, you have to take a strike partner out and all of a sudden he's (Addlery) up front working all by himself. I think at times they had a good partnership as they linked up well," said Barnes, who is yet to lose a game since officially taking the reins last December.
    On the dismissal of Davis, Barnes believes the referee Jair Marrufo was a measure too harsh on the hard-tackling centre back who has just returned from injury.
    "The second one (yellow card) I believe to be a coming together of bodies, it was a 50-50 and he (Davis) got there ahead of him (Haiti's Sirin). but I have seen yellow cards given for that and I have seen yellow cards not given because both of them clashed and both of them got hurt. I think it was a harsh booking," he noted.
    The Haitians, who like Jamaica are preparing for the CONCACAF Gold to be staged in 13 US cities from July 3-26, gave a spirited performance, pretty much what Barnes expected from them.
    "I know the Haitians had quality, so I expected a
    hard match and I got that,"
    he concluded.

From Penna through Simoes to Barnes one refrain - "We do not know thew game"! ...or sweetly said, "We lack experience"!

1960s to 2009?
    Hell of a long time to be still inexperienced! Will we ever acquire experience?

...are we just 'dunce'?
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
      From Penna through Simoes to Barnes one refrain - "We do not know thew game"! ...or sweetly said, "We lack experience"!

1960s to 2009?
      Hell of a long time to be still inexperienced! Will we ever acquire experience?

...are we just 'dunce'?
      Jamaicans have always had the fight since I can remember from when my coaching start in Jamaica in 1977. The fight is not the problem. The players know have this and just as good as anyone in CONCACAF.

Training this level of players correctly is the problem. Not coming from behind to tie a match like this from 1-2 (Thank You God and a profesional to make it 2-2). This is not an easy task if you are not a coaching educator, because it's not being done locally with what standards the rest of the world is doing, so can a fight start please for this aspect be developed to beat a team like Haiti 3 or 4 love? Not sure about prayer even now as my knees are hurting!!!!!!!!! I think for the first time I'll try one of these . I hope it's appropriate.

Paul Banta

Comment

We still not keeping hold of the ball as well as i would've like.We still lacking that midfield general to put his foot on the ball and control the tempo of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Pbanta View Post
          Jamaicans have always had the fight since I can remember from when my coaching start in Jamaica in 1977. The fight is not the problem. The players know have this and just as good as anyone in CONCACAF.

Training this level of players correctly is the problem. Not coming from behind to tie a match like this from 1-2 (Thank You God and a profesional to make it 2-2). This is not an easy task if you are not a coaching educator, because it's not being done locally with what standards the rest of the world is doing, so can a fight start please for this aspect be developed to beat a team like Haiti 3 or 4 love? Not sure about prayer even now as my knees are hurting!!!!!!!!! I think for the first time I'll try one of these . I hope it's appropriate.

Paul Banta
          Your take is interesting, Paul.

Do you really mean the coaching/teaching of the games to the very young...right across the island...is being expertly done by competent coaches-teachers and only at the older levels there is a lack of sufficient numbers of competent coaches-teachers to blanket the island...satisfy the island's need?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X