X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tevez affair sparks war of words

Tevez affair sparks war of words

Tevez has been at Old Trafford for nearly two years

A war of words has broken out between Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson and Carlos Tevez's adviser over the striker's future. Ferguson said a deal to keep Tevez at Old Trafford after his loan expires in the summer had been put on the table.
    Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian confirmed a meeting had taken place with chief executive David Gill.
    But he added: "It is categorically untrue Manchester United made an offer to try to persuade Carlos to stay."
    The Argentine proved his worth to United on Wednesday night as he scored in the 2-1 win over Wigan, a victory that moved the club to within one point of a third consecutive Premier League title.
    Tevez, 25, has hinted he will leave as he has not been offered a permanent deal but Ferguson said talks had begun.

"He knows I want him to stay. We spoke today and chief executive David Gill has had meetings with him," added Ferguson.
    "We have given him an offer and we hope he accepts. The problem is we are not negotiating with a football club."
    Tevez's registration is kept by Joorabchian and he claimed United have not taken up the option to buy Tevez after his two-year loan deal expires. A spokesman for Joorabchian said: "In 2007 Manchester United agreed a two-year loan deal for Carlos Tevez and at the same time agreed the terms that would make the transfer permanent.
    "They have not taken up that option."
    Last weekend, Tevez told newspapers he expected to be leaving Old Trafford in the summer because he had not yet received the offer of a contract and Joorabchian backed up the player's comments.
    "He's been disappointed at the way he's been treated - he shouldn't be in this situation," stated Joorabchian.
    "He did enough to warrant a contract last year but they decided not to do that and to go for other players and in January he felt he might be offered a contract and he wasn't, so now I think he feels not as good as when he first joined.

"The fact of the matter is Carlos hasn't asked for any amount of money and hasn't been offered any amount of money - that's where we are at the moment."
    Team-mate Wayne Rooney believes Ferguson should make Tevez a permanent player.
    He commented: "He is a world-class player and you always want to see him playing here.
    "I enjoy playing with him so hopefully he can stay.
    "He has a lot of energy and he has scored a lot of vital goals for us this season. His work rate is brilliant so hopefully he will sign. I would like him to."
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)
Working...
X