Ade-barndoor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ade-barndoor

It is high time Arsenal booted out the poisonous influence that is Emmanuel Adebayor

By Neil Ashton
    Last updated at 7:54 AM on 13th May 2009
    Arsenal's supporters seemed a little confused when Emmanuel Adebayor sauntered on to the pitch as a 68th minute substitute for Theo Walcott last Sunday.
    Some applauded and others gave him some welly following his controversial comments in the wake of the humiliating defeat against Manchester United in the Champions League semi-final.
    This clip should at least help clear things up for them once and for all.
    The audio of this little-known interview with the Arsenal striker was conducted in Lome, Togo's capital, last summer, around the time that he was denying a Sportsmail story that he wanted to quit the club unless they paid him £80,000 a week.
    Click here to listen to the interview with Emmanuel Adebayor

Scroll down for more

Point to prove: Emmanuel Adebayor's future is in doubt
    It is a little faint, but don't worry if you can't hear the best bit, as a transcript from the interview, which took place when he was voted BBC Africa Player of the Year, is printed below.
    INTERVIEWER: How important is money to footballers? A lot of them say it is not about the money. Is that true?
    ADEBAYOR: It is not true, it is about money. You are talking about in life and it is about money. When we are young, of course we played because we loved the game, we play because we were passionate about the game, but when you reach a stage of playing Champions League? If it is not because of money I would not be playing for Arsenal Football Club. If it is not because of money I don't think I would go to Arsenal to play.

More from Ash Wednesday...

Nice guy, isn't he, doing Arsenal a favour by turning out for them every so often, scoring the odd great goal, as he did when he latched on to Cesc Fabregas' lofted pass in the Champions League quarter-final against Villarreal at El Madrigal last month before hooking the ball over his head.

Perhaps we should admire his honesty, laying his cards (and his money) on the table at a time when he was angling for a move to AC Milan, hiring a private jet when the players were given a day off on Monday May 5, 2008, to fly out to meet the powers that be in the San Siro without Arsenal's permission.
    When Wenger realised what a poisonous influence he was in the dressing room, he tried to sell him, actively courting offers from some of Europe's leading clubs as he attempted to shake a disruptive from the club.
    Word was out that they wanted rid, but Wenger could not line up an adequate replacement (it shouldn't have been that difficult), reluctantly caving in to Adebayor's contract demands in order to keep him sweet for another season. How unfortunate.
    A year later Adebayor is playing as though the world owes him a living, forgetting the fact that Wenger plucked him from shuffling around the French league with Monaco and the relative obscurity of playing a few group games in the Champions League, where he had scored 18 goals in 79 appearances, to represent Arsenal in January 2006.
    'Ade-barndoor', as Arsenal's increasingly irritated supporters have taken to calling their misfiring striker in recent weeks, has forgotten that it is still a privilege to pull on that famous red jersey with the white sleeves, something a senior player (if there was one at the Emirates) would no doubt remind him.
    His performances in the Champions League semi-final against Manchester United were a disgrace, something no right-minded Arsenal supporter will ever be able to forgive him for.

Wonder goal: Adebayor scores against Villarreal

At Old Trafford he was the lone striker, with specific instructions of Wenger's utilitarian approach to the game ringing in his ears as he left the dressing room, told to sacrifice himself for the greater good of the team.
    It was the same story at the Emirates, only this time he emerged from the dressing room with the broadest grin anyone has ever seen from a player who has just lost a Champions League semi-final in quite humiliating circumstances.
    Watch this space: Adebayor

In his own muddled world, he appeared to be eyeing up a role on the board, issuing some sort of vote of no confidence in the manager by telling Wenger that the team had 'gone backwards' since last season.
    He explained that they had not adequately replaced Mathieu Flamini (still over-rated, whatever Arsenal fans say) and Alexander Hleb (substitute for Barcelona at best) last summer, slipping even further behind their title rivals this time around.
    Again, at least he was honest, but then take into account his behaviour last summer when he told Wenger he wanted to leave unless he was paid £80,000 a week.

He is Thierry Henry all over again, only not anywhere as good. The moment Henry believed Arsenal owed him a living, as he did when he was paid a £5m one-off bonus and £130,000 a week to stay following the 2006 Champions League final defeat, only Adebayor isn't half as good.
    Arsenal eventually sold Henry a year too late. Funnily enough, Adebayor is heading the same way.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Oh oh ... who scored more goals for Arsenal than Adebayor this season? A fi him fault ... he signed for the wrong club. And to see that he rejected a move to Arsenal last season.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

I wonder what gamma is thinking?
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I told you long ago...that you may score a lot if you play up front...but that does not mean you are necessarily best for team.

Yuh figet quick...eeeeh!

Wonder if gamma has forgotten what I said about TH14's final days as a GUNNER?

Adebayor should have been allowed to leave immediately after he had scorfed those 18 (or was it 20 odd?) goals! As I said before that number of goals fooled him and others into thinking he was better than he actually is! He has formed the fool too often since!
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
          I told you long ago...that you may score a lot if you play up front...but that does not mean you are necessarily best for team.

Yuh figet quick...eeeeh!

Wonder if gamma has forgotten what I said about TH14's final days as a GUNNER?

Adebayor should have been allowed to leave immediately after he had scorfed those 18 (or was it 20 odd?) goals! As I said before that number of goals fooled him and others into thinking he was better than he actually is! He has formed the fool too often since!
          You Arsenal fans have no clue. Or is it you're making the others look bad. There is obviously a problem with the team if unuh a find a problem with those scoring the goals. Unuh lucky Aston Villa run out of gas.
          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

yeah what would you all be saying that Wenger let all his best players go including adebayor.

Enough big ego middle class players left last year. Now is the time for him to either step or go.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

i am thinking that there are either at least 2 idiots in the world; that you wrote this article; or that you are a disciple of this "author".

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

just karl..

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                X