Gerard Pique: From Fergie reject to Barça colossus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gerard Pique: From Fergie reject to Barça colossus

The last time Barcelona played in England, one year ago at Old Trafford, Gerard Pique was in the stands with the rest of the Manchester United reserves. Tomorrow night he will be marking Didier Drogba and holding together Barcelona's injury- and suspension-ravaged defence.

Sir Alex Ferguson allowed him to rejoin Barcelona in the summer for around £5m, unconvinced that he was ever going to be good enough to break up the Rio Ferdinand-Nemanja Vidic central defensive partnership.

But in an extraordinary first season, Pique has been a key member of Barcelona's charge towards the treble. Last Saturday, in the 6-2 win over Real Madrid, he was majestic again, controlling Madrid forwards Gonzalo Higuain and Raul without conceding a single foul.

He scored the sixth goal from an impossible angle – his second at the Bernabeu after he netted there for Spain two months ago – and, in the reams of praise since written by the Spanish and Catalan press, has been dubbed "Piquenbauer"... not bad for a Fergie reject.

"There are no regrets about my time at Manchester" he says. "It was there that they really turned me into a player. I had only ever lived with my parents in Barcelona. I had my friends from the school and the club. The change was very hard, but it was the making of me."

Pique displays all the traits of a player schooled in Barcelona's youth system. He strides out from the back to give Pep Guardiola's side another man in midfield, but it is the defensive skills he will have honed at United's Carrington training ground that Barcelona will need tomorrow night.

Towering over a diminutive midfield, unimposing full-backs and a shaky goalkeeper, Pique is Barcelona's best chance of effectively clearing corners and crosses.

Even with him and fellow international Carles Puyol in the side at the weekend, they were beaten by two headers, and after the game Guardiola admitted that Barcelona simply did not have the resources to deal with Chelsea's aerial threat.

Pique admits: "The worrying thing was that we conceded two goals from crosses at the weekend. On Wednesday against Chelsea it will be really difficult to defend all their players on set pieces."

With Puyol suspended and the Mexican captain Rafa Marquez out injured, Pique will be the lynchpin at the heart of a makeshift back-four. Guardiola has got all his decisions right this season but he could make his most important one when he decides on Pique's central defensive partner.

The Uruguayan Martin Caceres could come in, or either the full-back Eric Abidal or the holding midfielder Yaya Touré could switch positions.

If it were Abidal, the former Arsenal full-back Silvinho would come into the side. None of the options are ideal. Whoever is picked, it will be Pique's name that goes down first on the team sheet. Against Drogba and without Marquez and Puyol, he becomes every bit as important as Barcelona's front three of Samuel Eto'o, Thierry Henry – who sat out training yesterday but should be fine for the match after picking up a knock at the weekend – and Lionel Messi.

And should Barça go through and the other semi-final go Manchester United's way, there will be one more chance for Pique to measure up to Ferdinand and Vidic in the final.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...s-1679036.html
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

This was one player I think Fergie got it wrong with. Every time I see him for Barca I think Fergie should have insisted that he is going nowhere.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Lazie View Post
      This was one player I think Fergie got it wrong with. Every time I see him for Barca I think Fergie should have insisted that he is going nowhere.
      How get it wrong. Fergie couldn't have given him starting role and he wanted to play.

Barcelona his home team came calling. Who should fergie let go? Wes Brown, Oshea, the new youth? It work out good fi both of them.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
        How get it wrong. Fergie couldn't have given him starting role and he wanted to play.

Barcelona his home team came calling. Who should fergie let go? Wes Brown, Oshea, the new youth? It work out good fi both of them.
        Fergie used Pique more than Evans last season which proves which of the 2 was better. I think Fergie held it against him for the loss to Bolton last season. I think he could have rotated the 4 CDs more.

Comment

One thing that irks me about Drogba (and others who do this) is a tendency to simulate...Pique better watch himself cah Drogba look like hime ready fi drop a grung at the slightest touch...
          Peter R

Comment

Lazie he used him more last season but he held onto Evans maybe because of the improvement and the patience that Evans had.

You can't use the fact that he played more, to make him better or have less potential.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Lazie he used him more last season but he held onto Evans maybe because of the improvement and the patience that Evans had.

You can't use the fact that he played more, to make him better or have less potential.
              Oh come on Sass ... He was a standout for Spain at the U20 WC is Canada a few years ago, plus he chipped in with goals for Manu in the league and CL.

Comment

Lazie stand out for Spain in under 20? Come on man. Where is Di Santos of Mexico? Who was more of a stand out? and where is Freddie Adu?

As I said Fergie made that decision because he didn't see it as a big loss to the club as he had others to step in. Good for him to go to Barcelona and get regular games and step up.

Just like Tevez, if he is not in the starting line up week in week out he is going to move soon and Fergie can't do much about it as he has decent replacement.

Comment

Lazie stand out for Spain in under 20? Come on man. Where is Di Santos of Mexico? Who was more of a stand out? and where is Freddie Adu?

As I said Fergie made that decision because he didn't see it as a big loss to the club as he had others to step in. Good for him to go to Barcelona and get regular games and step up.

Just like Tevez, if he is not in the starting line up week in week out he is going to move soon and Fergie can't do much about it as he has decent replacement.
                  Sass the youth proved himself. Who anchored the defense against Roma when the stars were rested last season? Who scored the goal for Manu in that game? Well, see the youth a anchor Barca's defense deh? What more yuh want?

Comment

Well didn't Johnny Evans play in some vital games this season when players were injuried? He did just as good as Pique did last year and certainly didn't look any worst than any Manu defenders for the better part of the season.

Comment

Well didn't Johnny Evans play in some vital games this season when players were injuried? He did just as good as Pique did last year and certainly didn't look any worst than any Manu defenders for the better part of the season.
                      I'm not making an argument against Evans, all I'm saying Fergie shouldn't have allowed Pique to leave. Simply rotate the 4 Central defenders.

Comment

Lazie you can talk bout rotating them but we know if Rio and Vidic is fit there is no rotating going on and Pigue just wanted first team game.

I know Fergie had to make a hard choice but he couldn't hold on to him sitting on the bench when other big teams are coming in with good offers. It wasn't only Barcelona that was after him. Maybe a loan move could have work but only if the player would have accepted it.

Comment

now that is true even with a strict rotation policy the last 2 positions that you want to rotate are your central defenders and the goalie....

as someone said, it was best for all...man u is atop the BPL and barca is atop la primera liga....and both the the CL semis

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                            now that is true even with a strict rotation policy the last 2 positions that you want to rotate are your central defenders and the goalie....

as someone said, it was best for all...man u is atop the BPL and barca is atop la primera liga....and both the the CL semis
                            True, but as a selfish Manu fan, seeing how Rio is getting injuried on a regular basis, Fergie will need to go hunting for another CD.

Comment

Lazie how many team in the EPL have 4 quality center half? Vidic, Rio, Evans and (Brown when fit).

Only Manu when Brown is fit. The closest to that is Chelsea and how many times you hear Alex leaving? Then maybe Villa after with Three decent(Not great quality defenders) that they can rotate yet they still miss Laursen.

If Brown is fit you have nothing to worry about. Good center half is not easy to come by.

Comment

Working...
                              X