Zeppo-here is one that wasn't good enough for MLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zeppo-here is one that wasn't good enough for MLS

Everton have completed a deal for American midfielder Anton Peterlin.
    The 22-year-old has been on trial at Goodison Park and has done enough to earn a permanent deal with The Toffees.
    Peterlin currently plies his trade for Californian-based Ventura County Fusion - who play in the fourth tier of American football.
    Fusion are coached by Englishman Graham Smith and he recommended Peterlin to Everton boss David Moyes.
    "I felt he had a chance," said Smith.
    "He's a very intelligent young boy. He will go into medicine if he doesn't make it as a soccer player. He has the mental capacity as well as the physical capacity to succeed.
    "Moyes put him immediately with the first team and Anton did not look out of place. For eight days, he applied himself tremendously well."
    Pleased

Moyes himself admitted Peterlin made a big impact and he is pleased to have signed him.
    "Anton really impressed myself and the coaching staff with his attitude and undoubted ability," said Moyes.
    "We are therefore delighted to give him the chance to establish a professional career here at Everton."
    The player, who recently had trials with MLS side San Jose and Chicago, is understandably ecstatic to have earned himself a move to England.
    "It's a cliche to say, but it really is a dream come true," said Peterlin.
    "I've always aspired to play at the highest level."
    Peterlin, who has an EU passport as one of his parents is Danish, will officially join Everton in July and will be with them when they tour America early that month.

What can I say?

Now them say the MLS weed out the less talented but man can't make MLS but a make EPL team.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I read that he wasn't even invited to the MLS combine. However many MLS coaches became interested in him once they found out that Everton had their eye on him.

But at the same time he was nothing special in college, so it could be that he's a late bloomer.

At any rate it's quite the story. Check out this article on him:

A life-changing trip
      "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
      - Xavi

Comment

A wonder how many late bloomers out there in the MLS draft?
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Could it be the MLS clubs' technical staff could not see talent when it clubbed them over the head?

Time, I am sure, will tell!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
            What can I say?

Now them say the MLS weed out the less talented but man can't make MLS but a make EPL team.
            Yuh falla some man...an nat some!
            Wah mi a tell yuh bout di US ignoring di best talent...particularly among di minoriites?

...an dat di day dem start gi di real talent a bly dwag nyam wi - e.g. JA - who now ave di chance tuh get a jump pan di US by putting a good program (scouting - using our best talents, preparations - good teaching/coaching & consistent, no break, playing against quality opposition) together and stap keep farmin di fool!.
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

How so? Wasn't you the one who said they are weeding out "no talent"?
              You can't have it both ways.

The fact is there is some talent that will get cut because of lack of spaces on the rosters. Look most of the draft pick that have played haven't been a let down so far, others with a few weeks in a pro environment would have improved.

Comment

What can I say?

Assassin. The guy wasn't even invited to the combine. Them coulda have 100 roster spot, he would still have been ignored. This simply goes to the issue of how they evaluated the player.

Comment

My point is the MLS is dashing away college players who can become very good players.

Comment

I thought the MLS second teams was an oppurtunity signing youths who show potential in some of the inner cities and give them a chance to develop?

Yet unnu so easily say "cut it" as real talent is easily seen.

Comment

The majority of who them throwing away is overage average players who are not having an impact on the league. One or two people like this fellow might be overlooked, but it is quite clear he would be overlooked even with the previous structure.

Comment

Well that was the whole idea of the second team to find the one and two who were overlooked and develope them into better players. The goal was never to turn every average player into great players.

Comment

MLS no longer has a reserve league. It was scrapped last year:

End of reserve league is a step back for MLS
                          "Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
                          - Xavi

Comment

well that is what were talking about.

Comment

How so? Wasn't you the one who said they are weeding out "no talent"?
                              Check yuh facts!

You can't have it both ways.
                              This s based on you having your facts wrong...therefore, nuh mek sense!

The fact is there is some talent that will get cut because of lack of spaces on the rosters. Look most of the draft pick that have played haven't been a let down so far, others with a few weeks in a pro environment would have improved.
                              You would not have said this if you understood what I am saying.

Let's do it sloooooooooooowly once more - The MLS is mosty often overlooking real talent. Most of that talent being overlooked is within the minority group.

The unstated is, if real talent is being overlooked then the rosters are being packed with second tier talent. ...thus the space for talent is there, save and expect for 'trash' being where it should not be....i.e. 'trash is taking up space that should have gone to real talent!

I hope you got it, now!

Comment

Working...
                              X