Giggs scoops PFA award

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Giggs scoops PFA award

Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs has been named Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year for the first time in his glittering career.
    The Welsh winger has won just about every major honour available during his time at Old Trafford, but had seen the PFA prize elude him.
    He was twice named Young Player of the Year, in 1992 and 1993, but failed to land the top gong despite displaying remarkable consistency over the course of the last 17 years.
    That has all changed now, though, with the 35-year-old recognised by his peers as being the Premier League's top performer during the 2008/09 campaign.
    ''It's right up there, with personal accolades it's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players,'' Giggs said.
    ''I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies, I won the young player award twice, but this is the big one.''
    Giggs has only started 12 games for United this season, but has been a key cog in a squad which could yet end this season with four trophies.
    Exciting

''It's an exciting season,'' he said.
    ''I think it is going to go right to the wire, there's big game after big game now. That is what you want and need at a club like Manchester United.''
    The veteran midfielder also paid homage to his Old Trafford manager Sir Alex Ferguson, the man that has overseen his progression from a precociously talented teenager into a legend of the modern game.
    ''The manager has been massive in my career from when I first met him when I was 13,'' Giggs said.
    ''That's over 20 years and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better.
    ''I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams, it's not even worth thinking about what it would have been like without the manager.''
    Giggs also hinted that he could step into coaching in the not too distant future, but admits he will keep going for as long as his ageing legs will allow him.
    ''As long as I'm getting picked, enjoying it and injury-free, I'll carry on as long as I can. At 35 you can't look too far into the distance, you just can't.''

Honour

Meanwhile, Aston Villa winger Ashley Young has been named as the PFA Young Player of the Year in recognition of his considerable achievements this term.
    ''It's a massive achievement for the club and my team-mates around me,'' said the England international.
    ''It's a great honour and I'm delighted.''
    John McDermott, the former Grimsby Town player who spent 20 years with the Mariners, was given the Merit award for his services to the game.
    ''I thought it was one of the lads winding me up, a real shock,'' he said.
    ''To still be recognised, I was flattered and honoured.''

Originally posted by Dunny View Post
    Manchester United winger Ryan Giggs has been named Professional Footballers' Association Player of the Year for the first time in his glittering career.
    The Welsh winger has won just about every major honour available during his time at Old Trafford, but had seen the PFA prize elude him.
    He was twice named Young Player of the Year, in 1992 and 1993, but failed to land the top gong despite displaying remarkable consistency over the course of the last 17 years.
    That has all changed now, though, with the 35-year-old recognised by his peers as being the Premier League's top performer during the 2008/09 campaign.
    ''It's right up there, with personal accolades it's the best to have as it's voted by your fellow players,'' Giggs said.
    ''I've been fortunate to win a lot of trophies, I won the young player award twice, but this is the big one.''
    Giggs has only started 12 games for United this season, but has been a key cog in a squad which could yet end this season with four trophies.
    Exciting

''It's an exciting season,'' he said.
    ''I think it is going to go right to the wire, there's big game after big game now. That is what you want and need at a club like Manchester United.''
    The veteran midfielder also paid homage to his Old Trafford manager Sir Alex Ferguson, the man that has overseen his progression from a precociously talented teenager into a legend of the modern game.
    ''The manager has been massive in my career from when I first met him when I was 13,'' Giggs said.
    ''That's over 20 years and he knows me better than anyone and our relationship has been brilliant and just gets better.
    ''I've been so fortunate to have such a great career in so many great teams, it's not even worth thinking about what it would have been like without the manager.''
    Giggs also hinted that he could step into coaching in the not too distant future, but admits he will keep going for as long as his ageing legs will allow him.
    ''As long as I'm getting picked, enjoying it and injury-free, I'll carry on as long as I can. At 35 you can't look too far into the distance, you just can't.''

Honour

Meanwhile, Aston Villa winger Ashley Young has been named as the PFA Young Player of the Year in recognition of his considerable achievements this term.
    ''It's a massive achievement for the club and my team-mates around me,'' said the England international.
    ''It's a great honour and I'm delighted.''
    John McDermott, the former Grimsby Town player who spent 20 years with the Mariners, was given the Merit award for his services to the game.
    ''I thought it was one of the lads winding me up, a real shock,'' he said.
    ''To still be recognised, I was flattered and honoured.''
    Giggs and Young picking up their awards.

Comment

Does anybody find it weird or controversial that a reserve player could get this award?

Comment

Originally posted by Shola View Post
        Does anybody find it weird or controversial that a reserve player could get this award?
        I think these awards are voted for and handed out too early in the season hence you dont get a fair reflection of who is been outstanding throughout the whole season.Giggs started the season really well but i believe people like Lampard,Gerrard and Torres have been better over the season.

Comment

Working...
        X