Moyes hits back at Rafa criticism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moyes hits back at Rafa criticism

David Moyes has hit back at Rafael Benitez's stinging criticism over Everton's defensive tactics, claiming rivals Liverpool have to ''spend big'' to win trophies.

GettyImages
    David Moyes: Goodison's alchemist

The Goodison Park chief unashamedly lauded his side's tremendous defensive display in the Merseyside FA Cup derby, which was heavily criticised by Liverpool boss Benitez.
    And the Goodison Park chief is now relishing a fourth-round home replay on February 4 after Sunday's 1-1 draw.
    Moyes refuses to be bowed by Benitez's attack, having also claimed a 1-1 league draw at Anfield last Monday with a similar defiant display.
    And he goaded Liverpool, saying: ''They have spent big to win trophies, so let's look at the difference in the values of the squads. People would say Liverpool should have won both these two derbies, but they haven't done it.
    ''We defended stoutly, we used lots of bodies and we made it hard for them to score. You are allowed to defend, there is nobody who says you are not allowed to do that. We were just determined to make it very hard for them.
    ''Just like we did last Monday. But to get two creditable draws at Anfield isn't bad.''
    Moyes also believes he will have more top quality at his disposal for what could be an explosive replay.
    He said: ''It doesn't matter how you get through, you do it. But we have been hard to beat recently, and I was disappointed that we conceded the equaliser to Steven Gerrard like that.
    ''There was always a concern when Liverpool equalised so early in the second half that they would go on and get another with all that pressure.
    ''But we hung in there after the break. We were very resilient and getting a draw was fine.
    ''If you had told me I could have a draw before the game and get them back to Goodison, I would have said that was a good result.
    ''We didn't find it too hard in the midweek league game against their possession and football. And in the cup tie their possession didn't produce too many goal (chances) and we were relatively comfortable.
    ''The one thing you will not fault Everton players for is their effort and commitment they give. As far as I'm concerned, what we might lack in some things we make up for in others. We were terrific.''
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

That's what you call a B!TCH SLAP!!!! Over to you now Missah X.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

It's all part of the "game"... show me a manager who doesn't rationalise his team's performance. Rafa, Moyes, Slur Alex, Rednapp, Wenger et al ALL do it ... some man's "criticism" is another man's "observation" , no "bitch slap" was applied..it's simply as your tag line says " some days you are the dog and some days you are the hydrant" ...so Rafa get some wee wee pon him foot... no biggie.
      Peter R

Comment

ok Peter R
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
        X