Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W. Moravek - Jamaica ODP Programme

JAMAICA OLYMPIC DEVELOPMENT PROGRAM
    • Three teams in the fourteen parishes ages 12, 14 and 16 will be chosen from tryouts in August. Coaches to be selected by the JFF and Technical Staff Coaches selected will be trained by the Technical Staff and have to pass a licensing program that the JFF will approve. A pool of20 players will be selected for each age group in each parish for a total of 840 players.

• Practices will be held one to two times a week, not to conflict with local club or high school commitments and games will be played when possible. Technical Staffwill monitor the progress of the coaching and development of the players.

• A player profile will be kept which will include address, photograph, height, weight, technical/tactical ability, physical ability etc. Player profiles will be kept in the offices of the JFF and will be charted.

• In December/January a tournament will be held to pick the regional pool. The tournament would be held at a central location for easy access. This tournament will consist of a one day tournament for each age group where they will play each other in a round robin format. The 12's would play on Friday, 14's on Saturday and 16's on Sunday, each day play would begin at 8 am and end at 6 pm. The Technical Staff would be in attendance for each days games and will choose the
    regional pool from this event.

• The regional pool would commence training in January. There will be four
    regions, East, West, North and South regions. A pool of25 players will be
    chosen for each age group in each region, so there would be a total of300 players. Practices would run from January to April. Coaches would be selected by the JFF Again, practices would run the same as how the parish teams were run.

• In April the national pool would be chosen from the regional tournament which would be held in Kingston. The tournament would be held over a Saturday and Sunday with the regional teams playing each other in a round robin format in the appropriate age groups. The Technical Staff would be in attendance to evaluate and choose players for the national pool for each age group. 25 players would be chosen for each national pool age group. In addition academy directors and scouts alike from foreign clubs would be invited to scout and evaluate players for
    potential trials at overseas based clubs.

• The national pool training will run from May to August and will be conducted by the Technical Staff. Practices and games would be scheduled as often as possible with games to be played against Jamaica based teams and foreign teams alike. Classroom sessions will be conducted on football topics as well as speakers from the nutrition field, the government sector, university professors and successful
    business persons.
    • Two tournaments will be scheduled during the year, one during the Christmas period and one during the summer. These tournaments will include foreign professional academy teams as well as Olympic Development and regional teams from the US. This will help facilitate the development and exposure of the Jamaican youth players and further prepare them for national team status at the
    older age groups.
    EXPENSES
    • Expenses will be minimal for this project
    - Coaches will not be paid
    - Tournaments will be one day events to eliminate overnight accommodations
    - Lunch and transportation MAY have to be subsidized for the tournaments.
    - Equipment will be provided by a sponsor, (ie Uhlsport)
    - Tee-shirts with the JFF emblem with a number on the back will be
    provided to each player beginning with the parish teams selections (I may
    be able to provide this aspect of the program as well as other equipment
    possibly through my football school in the US)

I know that Professor Simoes had wanted to put an academy in place during his tenure specifically the allocation of fields etc provided by the government/private sector. His idea was a good one but he was putting "the horse before the cart" because in order for the government/private sector to even contemplate a massive venture that he proposed
    they will want to see a structured program in place for at least two years before getting involved.

Please let me know what you would like to do.
    Regards
    Bill Moravek

I was digging thru some files today..and came across this proposal I had submitted back when I was an assistant national team coach for Jamaica in 2003. I didn't realize I even had a copy of this.

In any case...thought I would post this on here..in case anyone wanted to make use of it on the island...

Comment

Bill..."coaches will not be paid"?
      Peter R

Comment

That was the intention to start with...in the USA...in the beginning..these ODP coaches did not get paid...of course over a period of time that has changed as the programmes got larger.

I am sure had they started this program the coaches would have gotten paid something..but it would have been minimal.

The idea was to get everyone on the same page and at the very least get something going...anything...someone has to sacrifice in the beginning..and it has to be everyone for the good of the country...at the very least..in the beginning. If not...there will be nothing...and it will stay that way for a long time.

Comment

And to my point at the end of my last statement...there is still nothing best to my knowledge..and we are 6 years on from this proposal!!

Comment

good Bill. I think this program will work but also needed is recommended diet, and habits that these players need to get into to be successful at their craft once they leave the once a week training.

I have always suggest some form of structure to mobilise and find the players.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

All of that would be included in the the classroom sessions which was also in the proposal. I can't believe it has been nearly 6 years since I coached down there...

Comment

kinda similar to the provincials here.. Would increase practice to 3 per week and one game.. for the parish

Comment

3-4 practices would certainly be better..but remember...you are trying to get "everyone" on board and on the same page. If you have that many there are bound to be conflicts with club practices and high school...and if that happened..you would see the players not coming out and there would not be the support needed form the clubs and high schools.

Secondly, If coaches are expected to donate their time to the national program..or for minimal pay...1-2 practices a week my be doable..but no one will conduct 3-4 practices for little or nothing.

Comment

Agreed, I think the coaches would have to be paid. Secondly you may have to remove those players from active competition from schools clubs for the time they are in the program. For example you could go in program after the Dcup/ manning cup season and remove the players from club duty.. Here players in the provincials are not allowed to take part in club or school activities fron Nov to April 30. That way they get them for 4 days a week and adequate rest in between. The players go back to club in May till October.. Its not perfect and a fight but by now the expectation is set that if you make the program that is what happens.

Comment

Peter Tosh:"Everybody wants to
                      go to heaven, but no one wants to die".

Comment

Working...
                      X